What else for the Renogy suitcase?

We are new Oliver Elite 2 owners, and we want to add the 200 watt Renogy suitcase solar panels. We are also ignorant about all things electrical. My question is: what do we need to purchase to hook this up to our external Zamp solar port? Specifics and even photos would really help us dummies! Thanks!

IMG_9939.jpeg

Barb (and husband, Mark) in Estes Park, CO / Elite 2, Hull #941 / 2023 Toyota SequoiaAZARCOFLGAIDKSLAMSMOMTNMOKPASDTNTXUTVAWY

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GlacierGirl said:

we want to add the 200 watt Renogy suitcase solar panels.

First, Welcome to the OTT Family! 

I'm not familiar with your solar port, but I do own the 200-watt solar suit case.  I like it a lot.  

When I was buying mine, I sought guidance just as you are.  One of the owners indicated that he preferred getting two of the 100's because the 200-watt version is large and a bit heavy.  

After two years of use, I regret not following his advice.  The challenge is storage.  The 200-watt set is quit large for storage.  It is wide enough that I can't stand it on edge in my truck bed.  So flat it must lay, taking up a LOT of space.  That makes it  much more challenging than two smaller ones stacked would have.  Sure it will fit into my F-150 short box bed, but it then demands priority and not much can be stored on top of them - despite their great case.  If I were going to re-do, I for sure would not have gotten the bigger one. 

Now if you are set on the 200's I'll offer you mine at 40% off, and I'll get my two sets of 100's.  Both win.

Well not quite.  I would not accept that offer if I were you though.  Unless you have a 8' bed for your TV and not much else in it.  🙂 GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Geronimo John, has anyone told you you’re a poor salesman?🤣  I appreciate your offer, and I appreciate even more your honesty. Now you have me 2nd guessing - which is a good thing!  We’re in our late 60s - we’re not getting any stronger and our vehicle is getting any larger. So, it seems we need to slow down with this decision. Thanks so much for your input!

And jd923… First of all, how does one highlight a forum name on here like you and GJ did?  Secondly, thanks so much for the link to that thread. Installing a new port - or, actually wiring a new port - would be beyond my expertise, but surely an rv place could do it. Thanks!

Edited by GlacierGirl

Barb (and husband, Mark) in Estes Park, CO / Elite 2, Hull #941 / 2023 Toyota SequoiaAZARCOFLGAIDKSLAMSMOMTNMOKPASDTNTXUTVAWY

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

@GlacierGirl, looks like you are "bolded" now. Requires a certain number of posts. Guess you've made it.

If you mean, @then a name, just type the @symbol, then start typing the name of the person you want to notify. Click on it. It will fill in the rest. 

Screenshot_20240607_190556_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, GlacierGirl said:

And jd923… First of all, how does one highlight a forum name on here like you and GJ did?  Secondly, thanks so much for the link to that thread. Installing a new port - or, actually wiring a new port - would be beyond my expertise, but surely an rv place could do it. Thanks!

@SeaDawg answered the first part. Purchase the portable solar you want first and see what terminal it needs. Buy the required terminal/wiring kit too. You can see in the other post; it takes 4 screws and to splice/crimp the two wires.

Any mobile mechanic, somebody on Angie's list or Craigs would be happy to come to your parked Oliver and do the job in less than an hour. They only need to know how to use a voltmeter to get the +Red and -Black wiring straight. RV service shops are a pain and good luck getting an appointment during summer. This way you don't even need to hitch up or drive down the road!

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Here’s what we have for solar external that uses the Oliver Zamp Port:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/ggs-blog/f/here-comes-the-sun?blogcategory=Electrical+Upgrades

Craig - 

• Love 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

6 hours ago, GlacierGirl said:

So, it seems we need to slow down with this decision. Thanks so much for your input!

The Renogy solar suit cases are ideal for our use, especially if we don't have onboard solar.  You may want to find a store or another ollie that has them.  You'll immediately get the  picture I was painting.

If they did not have the smaller 100 watt ones, I would buy my 200 again.  But for sure would prefer the smaller foot print  with the 100's.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

Just noted your 2023 Sequoia.  I used a 2005 to tow my Ollie for a year.  it only had the 4.7 liter engine.  The 2023's are much better.  You'll want to take measurements of the Solar suit cases and plan out your storage plan. That likely will lead you to the smaller ones.  If you have already purchased, then you'll most likely be having them in Ollie.  Will sort of be a PITA when traveling.

There are many ways to connect it, but until you get that resolved, the Solar Suitcases come with a pair of alligator clips,  Just open the battery hatch and attach it on the proper terminals so that your shunt will see the charge.  If you don't have any fancy way to measure your battery SOC, just connect to the battery terminals in such a manner so as to match the 12 volt output.  (I don't know if you have AGM, 12V/6V LA, or Litho's).  when you settle o the solar system, with the battery info one of us will for sure know the best way to hook it up.  

GJ

4 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

Here’s what we have for solar external that uses the Oliver Zamp Port:

I use the same one!  Works good for up to 20 amps.  But mine has one square pin and one round......

GlacierGirl:  Just be very careful to notice the shape of each pin, so that you can match it with the proper plug.  Art and I found different pin shapes for some of these.  Also, do not assume a color like RED is actually to be hooked up to a positive for a given pin shape or color.  You'll want to have a volt meter to make sure your panel out put + and - math the plug and that the plus power side gets all the way to a + battery terminal.  

GJ

image.png.391b8748951bd5e56fb5c3e06a6ca347.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Geronimo John, based on your experience and advice we ordered and are awaiting our two Renogy 100s!  I can’t tell you how grateful I am for all your help!😊 We have 3 Li3 Lithionic batteries. When the panels arrive I’ll be yelling for help. As I mentioned in my original post, we are definitely dummies when it comes to all things electric. So, even when you wrote “measure your battery SOC” I have no clue what your mean. 😅 

Oh, and we do have onboard solar, as well as the Zamp external port with two round holes, like your attached photo above. 

Edited by GlacierGirl
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, GlacierGirl said:

@Geronimo John, based on your experience and advice we ordered and are awaiting our two Renogy 100s!  I can’t tell you how grateful I am for all your help!😊 We have 3 Li3 Lithionic batteries. When the panels arrive I’ll be yelling for help. As I mentioned in my original post, we are definitely dummies when it comes to all things electric. So, even when you wrote “measure your battery SOC” I have no clue what your mean. 😅 

Oh, and we do have onboard solar, as well as the Zamp external port with two round holes, like your attached photo above. 

We use two Renogy 100W panels, with our single 100AH Battleborn Lithium battery. We're also using a Victron bluetooth Shunt and Renogy MPPT 20A solar controller with a 10A Furrion solar port modified to use a Zamp 20A solar port. Some days with full sun only need one panel for a full charge, if the battery is not greatly discharged at the start of the day.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

15 hours ago, GlacierGirl said:

Zamp external port

The Z-amp solar port likely was installed by a previous owner.  If so, you'll want to follow the leads inside the trailer and see where they lead you.

If you have a Victron 712 Smart System installed, you'll have a display (on left) and shunt (on right) that looks like these.  Very high quality gear.

image.png.b84c69a7cb0710b375b928aa342904c7.png

If the solar port wires go:

A.  DIRECTLY to the Litho's battery terminals, then you'll need to rewire them. 

B.  To the trailer side of your Battery Shunt, then you are golden in two ways.  First, your previous owner was a smart person.  And You don't need to rewire anything.

Regardless when you get your folding suit cases, you'll want rewire them to both mate up to your solar port.

Not hard to do, but there are several ways to do it.  

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Some days with full sun only need one panel for a full charge, if the battery is not greatly discharged at the start of the day.

Only needing one panel sounds nice and easy.

12 hours ago, rideandfly said:

bluetooth Shunt

What is a shunt?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

If you have a Victron 712 Smart System installed, you'll have a display (on left) and shunt (on right) that looks like these.  Very high quality gear.

We don’t have a Victron  Smart System… and what in the world is a shunt?🤔

Ok.  Not going to look like those pictures.  

One of the owners who is familiar with the Solar/Litho system of your vintage trailer will need to take over.  

Good luck.

GJ

4 hours ago, GlacierGirl said:

We don’t have a Victron  Smart System… and what in the world is a shunt?🤔

I purchased this model, waterproof with sealed wiring: https://a.co/d/aEvZpg2

Wire to battery final ground. Download VictronConnect App to read battery SOC and +/- Amps.

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2963.png

Edited by jd1923
Added app pic
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

When we purchased a Victron shunt, the waterproof shunt was not available or I did not see it 😐, like the one JD1923 has.

The Bluetooth range is OK while in Ollie and close to where the shunt is located when outside of Ollie, but the range is not good enough to read with smartphone while in the TV with Ollie in tow, at least with our shunt.

You can see rate of discharge and other handy information like SOC on your smartphone, like JD1923 mentioned.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 2

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina