Doorway Head Bumper

jd1923

Anybody change this item with something better, something thinner and more aesthetically pleasing? We are replacing our dinette cushions too, so this would be the last piece of this old ugly/bland fabric in our Oliver. Any ideas?

Head Bumper.jpg

Edited by jd1923
Added picture

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

If you never hit your head, let it go. I do occasionally hit it, and I'm only 5'4". Cover it with the new fabric you choose, and put it back? You could use velcro, instead of screws, if you just want to put it up "sometimes." Our beloved head bump was installed that way, originally.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

18 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If you never hit your head, let it go...

It's funny that in a year of use, 30+ days camping, and so many ins and outs doing repairs and mods, at 6'2" I never hit my head because of the way I carefully enter and exit. This weekend doing my fridge fan mod, I banged it pretty good!

You can see in the picture; it's not even shaped squarely anymore. It's a big 3x3" wide, old foam on old plywood, not worth the time to reupholster. I'm thinking something semi-round and thinner like 2x2" wide, a cushion but not something upholstered. Still wondering if anybody had else replaced theirs with something else?

• Moderators

You could wrap a chunk of pool noodle or, make a new one pretty easily, with a bit of luan, a piece of foam, and some velcro. Mines still in pretty nice shape, 16 seasons in, surprisingly.  But, so are my cushions. Back on the day, we were allowed to buy and send our own fabric to the upholstered. I chose a commercial grade, stain resistant coated fabric, and that has possibly made a difference.  

Sorry if I "gumped" you. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

If you look at mine there is quite a dent in it, like a prior owner kept hitting their head in the same spot!

Cool you were able to chose fabric!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Back in the day , 2008, we had a number of liberties. 

Not sustainable,  in a production line. 

Let me know if you need fabric choices for new cushions. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4