Broke zerk

I planned on greasing the zerks and on my second one it would not take the grease.  While trying to disconnect the grease gun the insides of the zerk broke off and is stuck in my grease gun. What do I need to do to replace that zerk? I plan on jacking the trailer up to take weight off moving forward.

2023 elite 11 hule 1443.

Thank You,

Mark

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
2 hours ago, MSURRATT said:

I planned on greasing the zerks and on my second one it would not take the grease.  While trying to disconnect the grease gun the insides of the zerk broke off and is stuck in my grease gun. What do I need to do to replace that zerk? I plan on jacking the trailer up to take weight off moving forward.

2023 elite 11 hule 1443.

Thank You,

Mark

Can you provide a picture of what remains of the zerk in the shackle?  This will help in diagnosing and recommending a solution (e.g. ez-out vs wrench vs?)

Edited by Mountainman198
  • Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

3 hours ago, MSURRATT said:

What do I need to do to replace that zerk?

If it came out completely it can merely be replaced. If it physically broke off leaving the threaded portion, you have to remove the remaining piece without damaging the internal threads.

In this case, I would remove the bolt so that the work can be done in a vise. You may have to drill it out and/or use the right size easy-out. Something like this, but caution as this is a job for the experienced DIYer: Easy Out Screw Extractor 5/32" To 7/32" | Aircraft Spruce

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

One of the best investments I have made is the Lock-N-Lube grease gun head.  It works wonderfully and eliminated the forces that break zerks.

Highly Recommend!

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

10 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

One of the best investments I have made is the Lock-N-Lube grease gun head.  It works wonderfully and eliminated the forces that break zerks.

Highly Recommend!

GJ

+1 for the L&L. 

• Like 2

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron MP2, SmartSolar, Orion, Cerbo, Lynx install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

On 7/20/2024 at 10:26 AM, MSURRATT said:

2023 elite 11 hule 1443.

Thank You,

Mark

There are zerk fitting repair/extractor tools available at most auto stores & Tractor Supply.   It’s a combination wrench/tap/extractor.  I’ve used one in the past.  If the fitting is broken off but the threaded part remains in the wet bolt, the extractor (the pointy tool) should allow you to unscrew the threaded portion. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/workforce-all-in-one-grease-fitting-repair-tool-for-1-4-in-28-fittings

IMG_0435.jpeg

Edited by Frank C
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MSURRATT said:

Yes, it broke off at the threads. Thanks Geronimo I will look into the lock-n-load.

JD1923 , I didn't use a hammer but thanks for your advice!!!

Sorry Mark, I'm sure you did not get out the hammer, although we all want to at times like this. 🤣

The applicator head of a grease gun has a spring/retaining clip. They can get stuck, and you do not want to pull it on an angle when stuck, which creates force in a lever-action. What I do is wiggle the grease gun back and forth so that the hose whips loose. The Lock-N-Lube head is design to keep the applicator head on. Does it also release better? Thank you @Frank C as I was not aware of a special tool sized for Zerks.

The L&L head opens the jaws to allow for much easier placement and removal.

It also grabbs on better allowing you to "FORCE" grease into the wet bolt. 

It certainly makes greasing much more efficient with a lot less waste.

I know it is expensive, and I "resisted" for years.  But after using one of my friends.... I was sold.  No regrets.

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

The L&L head opens the jaws to allow for much easier placement and removal.

I concur.  I bought Lock'NLubes for both of my grease guns for the many zerks on my Kubota tractor many years ago.  Now I use them for the Elite II suspension.  Overpriced?  Yes.  Worth it?  Yes.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Oliver uses Mystik No. 2, and recommends that owners also use it, to avoid mixing greases

I was advised by Mike from OTT that I could use Lucas Red N Tacky grease for the Dexter EZ-Flex suspension, bearings and the 3 jacks. 

image.png.9de0b71b10f856f62e69425548b628a9.png

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

On 7/22/2024 at 9:35 AM, MSURRATT said:

Do you guys and gals have a recommended grease that you use?

Any red grease marked NLGI #2 as @rich.dev showed above. People have brand preference, but all that's important is the kind of grease and temp rating. I've been using this for years, since the company had good comments on forums and very good case price on Amazon. I prefer not to pay a lot extra for a brand name. Hard to beat $7ea on a ten-pack!

I have this grease in the Oliver front jack and wheel bearings. Also use it for wheel bearings every time I do a brake job in all our cars and trucks.

Amazon.com: TRIAX Atlas 600 Grease - Full Synthetic, Ultra-Heavy Duty, Low Temp, Marine, Waterproof; All Bearings, Joints, Drive Train & 5th Wheel (10 Pack - 14 Oz Tubes) : Automotive

• Like 1