Utah Might 5 next spring (from FL)

On 8/4/2024 at 6:41 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

P.S. We are hoping to make it to Montana in the fall of 25.  I'll create another thread for that and you can tell me everything I don't know 😛

Be careful in how you plan for fall in Montana. Understand seasons in this neck of the woods can come and go in nearly a split second, and what most people think of the autumn months can be the dead of winter compared to their normal view of this season. Lived here for nearly half a century and have seen temps plunge to sub zeros mid September when the day before it was in the 70-80's or more. Colors start turning much sooner than other states too, usually by mid September and all but shot by the 3rd week of October if not sooner normally. Elevation plays a key role in this. The Flathead Valley area as well as Glacier will usually have color lasting a bit longer due to the lower elevations at base but again there is no guarantees other than to expect rapidly changing weather patterns. Yellowstone elevations are much higher as well and thus tend to end sooner.

Hope this helps.

Edited by routlaw
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderator+

Personally, I would swap from the South Rim of the GC to the North Rim. There is a world of difference.

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 8/4/2024 at 6:41 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

Thanks for the tip.  I hope you love your Ollie as  much as we do.
And my wife LOVES her massages. 😀

P.S. We are hoping to make it to Montana in the fall of 25.  I'll create another thread for that and you can tell me everything I don't know 😛

I'd be happy to share some MT intel 🙂

• Thanks 1

I have several recommendations, having spent weeks in that region this year:

North Rim of GCNP is very nice, less congested, less commercial and there are plenty of NF boondocking sites that are within reach. From the Kaibab NF near the North Rim, you can also take day trips to places like Vermillion Cliffs, White Pocket (if you have OHV or hire a guide with capability), "The Wave" (be aware that tickets are required in advance -- for many of these highly desirable locations) and other places. 

Kanab UT is a great central location for camping before heading to Zion, as there are many things to see and do in that area: Pipe Spring NM, Dinosaur Tracks, Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP (where you could camp if you want hookups), as well as day trips from Kanab to Zion, Bryce, Red Cliffs and other sites. St George is much larger, and in my opinion it isn't as walkable as a city, whereas Kanab is entirely walkable. If you stay in Kanab, they have farmers markets two days a week, a great library, some interesting museums, good groceries, free fresh water and a very friendly Post Office where you can receive mail General Delivery (not all USPS will do that). 

I concur with others on trekking poles; take at least one with you. 

Learn and understand about driving in sand. Understand how the weather impacts the "dirt" (sand) roads. Plan your timing accordingly. As Spring marches on, and the dry weather extends into early summer, the sand becomes more treacherous. One Park Ranger warned me about trying to drive through the western section of GCNP (the section that is southwest of Pipe Spring NM) because "it's so dry that it's easy to get stuck and it can cost you $3,000 to get towed out".  Don't pull over on the side of the road unless it's paved or you know that it's going to support your vehicle. I saw many 4WD vehicles mired in the sand, in late May and the first week of June. One area where I walked, the sand would rise up over the tops of my shoes with each footstep. It was like quicksand, but thankfully not quicksand. Once the monsoons hit, I was told, some areas of sand turn into mud that can be equally treacherous. This condition depends on the area, of course. You might call USFS offices in the region and ask -- I found them very helpful on information. You might switch around the order of your itinerary, to plan the sandy places earlier in your trip. 

That's my two cents. Have fun!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

19 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

it can cost you $3,000 to get towed out

I should mention one more thing. There is a scam artist that spoofs local towing companies. A friend was the victim of this when I was there. I recommend that you look up and save the correct phone number/s for local towing companies before venturing out, in case you need them. My friend paid $600 in advance over phone and then the company never showed up; it was a reputable company -- but he had 'looked up the number on google' and it was a spoofed phone number. 

• Thanks 3
  • Wow 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

One day from San Antonio to Sedona? 😉

Might put this in your toolkit.   Wanderinglabs.com

I used it a lot when my plans changed coming back from Yellowstone via Utah to San Antonio.

My current itinerary has a question mark on that day.  😀

We will probably just drive till we are tired, then find a place to boondock.

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

Texas is not a boondocking state, unless you like Walmart.

My preference out of SA going west is Balmoreah State Park past Ft. Stockton, then one of the Arizona state parks the next night. 

I've done a straight run to Arizona State Park for night one, but you have to enjoy 12 hour driving days.

El Paso is 500 miles, slightly uphill and usually into the wind. Watch your gas levels.  Even on I-10 it can be lonely out there..

13 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

My current itinerary has a question mark on that day.  😀

We will probably just drive till we are tired, then find a place to boondock.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

17 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Texas is not a boondocking state, unless you like Walmart...

I've done a straight run to Arizona State Park for night one, but you have to enjoy 12 hour driving days...

That's for sure! We lived in Georgetown and Lakeway, TX over a 9-year period when we still owned our AZ home, going back and forth 2-3 times a year. I drove it straight through once, pulling a cargo trailer, Prescott to Lakeway, 5AM to near 2AM. In our 20 roundtrips, AZ to central TX, we rarely drove the exact same route twice.

I can't stand driving I-10 unless it's January and snowing up north. Sometimes we would leave a Friday afternoon after work and drive I-10, stay at a lovely (just kidding) 3-star hotel in Van Horn, TX (pretty area NW of the Davis Mountains). Make it the next day, home in Prescott. We will camp at the Davis Mountains SP this year returning from the Texas Rally.

Most of the time we would head out of Austin area NW on state highways. Driving through Llano, Mason, Brady, San Angelo, Big Spring and often an overnight in Roswell NM. The next day we would head west through Lincoln County NM to Socorro and then take US Hwy 60 into Arizona. This route is an hour or two longer, but NO interstates.

This is basically the route we will drive the opposite direction heading to the Texas Rally this October, 3 nights camping on the Mongollon Rim (Rim Rd east of Payson, AZ) and Greer AZ, one night somewhere in-between, then 3 nights in Ruidoso, NM. All that will be boondocking, but we will need a campsite or RV park somewhere around Big Spring TX as a layover to Inks Lake.

Living an hour from Sedona, there are so many stops I mentioned here that we much prefer. Now that I am semi-retired, having periods 2-3 times a year with 3-4 weeks off, I like to plan easy trips where we drive only 2 to 4 hours max per day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!