Question on Removing the Winegard Roadstar Omni Directional Antenna

csevel

I want to remove the roof-top omni antenna as I simply do not watch television while camping (or even at home, lol)   I removed the television as one of my first mods on the ILOVHER and now I'd like to remove the antenna; it's just personal preference.  It's a bug collector and it spins and rocks uncomfortably up there and snags on the cover.   In addition, someday I'd like more room for solar panels.   We download and play movies in inclement weather on our tablets and listen to music on a BOSE blue tooth speaker so FM channels aren't necessary either.

I realize I may want to keep the antenna and/or wiring if I ever sell, but I'd still like to remove it, save it and cap it off.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to remove it and/or what I could possibly use to seal the holes and/or cap it off?

Thanks in advance,

Claudia

Edited by csevel

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
31 minutes ago, csevel said:

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to remove it and/or what I could possibly use to seal the holes and/or cap it off?

Claudia:

I don't have any experience with the removal.

But for the hole it will leave when removed I suggest using a piece of scrap white cutting board to cover the hole.  Suggest cutting it into a circle and then use some white acrylic sealant to keep it in place.  You could taper the edges for aerodynamic smoothing if your as particular as I am.

I would not suggest using JB Weld or other adheasives we use for hanging heavy equipment as they would not meet your goal of being able to reinstall down the road.

Hope this helps,

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I’ve had to replace the antenna once.  If you want to remove the antenna completely there are a few steps.

The antenna has the upper part big disc) and the lower part (mount) that is screwed to the roof.

To disassemble there are three steps

1) the top part (dish) of the antenna is pushed straight down then twisted.  This unclips the top of the antenna from the clips on the shaft.  

2) With the top removed the top part rca cables can be unplugged from the top of the antenna.  They will be tucked into the roof later. 

3) Unscrew and remove the base shaft. You’ll need to cut the sealant to get it loose.

Finally tuck the wires into the roof and cover the hole with a suitable body material and seal it with a marine sealant like 3M 4200. 

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg