Noisy AC

My guess would be less than 50 were made with Mach. We are hull 64 and it came with a Mach 8 which I switched out for an Atwood Air Command.

Well if any of you out there are still unhappy with the noise of the Mach 8 - here is a chance for you to fix that for free

Interested?.

What we are looking for are short videos that show how easy the install is and the noise difference between before and after.

We never seem to get around to making these things. So we thought - why not bribe our customers to do it for us.

Rules are simple - video the noise your A/C makes now, you installing the kit, then the noise it makes after (from the same place - no cheating).

Upload the video to YouTube somewhere and send us the link.

Best one (in our humble opinion) gets their money back on the kit.

Deadline for submission is March 31 2016.

Simple eh? What are you waiting for.

Cheers,

Jim

• 1 month later...

When I purchased my Elite (18.5) in April 2015, I had the Coleman AC. On our first trip, we received some courteous complaints regarding the AC noise. The last night, we experienced some electrical problems. I contacted Oliver and arranged to have my AC changed out. I had a Dometic Penguin installed.

Comparison of the two

Coleman- noisy outside. Inside seems to be somewhat noisy, especially without a method to measure sound levels it becomes more of an opinion. My wife and I both agree, the Coleman is more noisy outside, less noisy inside.

Dometic- definately quieter outside. Inside, much more noisy than the Coleman.

Both units cool very well, no performance issues

My humble opinion- Coleman exhausts their noise to the exterior. Dometic internalizes the noise. I would choose the Dometic over Coleman. After a few minutes,I do not hear the AC, I can hear the TV, and most important of all, Moma's HAPPY !! :D

I did the same thing except I paid for the Atwood Air Commander. It is very quiet inside and out and will run on my Honda 2000i generator.

The only downside is that the fan runs all the time. I plan to fix that with a thermostat controlled relay.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• 2 weeks later...

When I purchased my Elite (18.5) in April 2015, I had the Coleman AC. On our first trip, we received some courteous complaints regarding the AC noise. The last night, we experienced some electrical problems. I contacted Oliver and arranged to have my AC changed out. I had a Dometic Penguin installed.

Comparison of the two

Coleman- noisy outside. Inside seems to be somewhat noisy, especially without a method to measure sound levels it becomes more of an opinion. My wife and I both agree, the Coleman is more noisy outside, less noisy inside.

Dometic- definately quieter outside. Inside, much more noisy than the Coleman.

Both units cool very well, no performance issues

My humble opinion- Coleman exhausts their noise to the exterior. Dometic internalizes the noise. I would choose the Dometic over Coleman. After a few minutes,I do not hear the AC, I can hear the TV, and most important of all, Moma's HAPPY !!
:D

Cool, I was i was wondering about the differences.

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel

Update on Atwood Air Commander.

I finished the relay mod and now the fan shuts off with the compressor. Sweet. The Atwood may not be the prettiest unit but it is sooo quiet. The "dry" mode does a good job of de humidifying without running all the time.

• Moderator+

Good job, glad that worked out for you...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Regarding the noise problem on the Coleman Mach 8, has anyone installed this hush kit? http://www.perfectcasita.com/fred.html

We only used our AC once last summer and since we are on the door step of summer, we are again thinking of this solution. The Casita folks seem to be happy with the lower noise volume. Just wondering if any of the Oliver folks had given it a try.

You would have thought the Coleman brainiacs would have figured it out on their own.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Regarding the noise problem on the Coleman Mach 8, has anyone installed this hush kit? http://www.perfectcasita.com/fred.html We only used our AC once last summer and since we are on the door step of summer, we are again thinking of this solution. The Casita folks seem to be happy with the lower noise volume. Just wondering if any of the Oliver folks had given it a try. You would have thought the Coleman brainiacs would have figured it out on their own. Stan

We just got a nice testimonial from an Oliver owner - so yes - someone has given it a try on an Oliver.

Jim

• 1 year later...

The Atwood seems to be half as loud as the dometic penguin II. Use less power. But it seems to be 1" higher and 5 pounds less weight. The penguin's only advantage seems to be it is 1" shorter.

which do ya'll recommend?

Bruce & Vas

• Moderators

Every recommendation really depends on camping style and use. For us, any ac unit is fine/ superfluous, , since we have one, and (almost) never use it.

u075908@yahoo.com, do you have even a first name that you would care to share? We welcome your participation, but your profile is pretty empty.....

Most of us sign our posts with at least a first name.

Not demanding, just saying. If you would like to make a friend or two here, a name helps. ???? It's a pretty friendly group here, and we'd love to address you with a name shorter than u075908@yahoo.com. thanks.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...
2. The drip line is outside the trailer so there is always a stream of water coming off the trailer. Not an issue for me, and Dusten added some flexible molding to route the water away from windows..

Trumpetguy, How much water runs down the side?  We are supposed to go into production next week and just found out about the lack of a drain.  Do you foresee long term damage to the finish of the gel coat?

Thanks, Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

Thought I'd mention that I installed the "Hush Kit" on my 2014 Casita just before it's new owner picked it up.  I was impressed with the drop in noise level.  I assume the Mach 8 installed on the Oliver was rated higher so you might need to talk to Orbital Machine, aka PerfectCasita

Brad - Santa Fe

There's also a huge sound drop in the Dometic after the Micro-Air Easy Start is installed. The compressor isn't ramping up under a full load anymore and it's a major difference that's really noticeable.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Re:  Water draining down the side.  The water does leave a streak, but it is easily removed with some 3m compounding polish.  We sold 64 in September so perhaps Snowlakemike would like to comment on the water.

• Thanks 1