Fridge Button Guard

topgun2

• Moderators

Over on the Fiberglass RV Forum I read a post about several products made by a company called RV Widget Works. One of their products is used to prevent you from accidently pressing one or more of the buttons on the Dometic Fridge. Since I had this happen to me on my last camper which resulted in having to throw away most of the food in my fridge, I thought that I'd take a look at this. On the website - rvwidgetworks.com, they say that this guard is made for the Dometic model RM2454. I emailed the owner - Charlie Young - and he replied that the only difference between the Oliver fridge and the model RM2454 is that the Oliver's is a bigger model, therefore, the guard should work. Mr. Young sent the guard to me with a note telling me to try it and if I didn't like it or if it didn't fit, just send it back - no charge. If I did keep it the cost including shipping is $16.75.

Well, I did decide to keep it. The fit is perfect, even the edges are polished, and it is held on with clear 3M tape. I can't imagine how I now could accidently hit one of those buttons. Given that the guard is nothing but a piece of plastic with four holes drilled in it, the cost is fairly expensive. But, compared to the cost of the food I had to throw out and for the peace of mind of not having to even think about it, I feel that the price is fair.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

The Hewus's did their own mod back in 2008 for the same reason, and shared photos of how they did it. I've seen this mod done in a number of trailers (all brands) that have Dometic refrigerators.

As you said, small price to pay for the piece of plexi from your vendor, compared to spoiled food if you don't notice the button has been touched accidentally.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry and Stan (and Carol),

Not only are those buttons protected but I do like the look. Not only the outside edge of the guard is polished, but, inside the holes made for the buttons is polished. I understand from the owner of RV Widget Works that he was able to polish the inside of those holes due to the fact that they are cut with a laser.

I have no vested interest in this company, but, I do like the product and I like the way they do business.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Very nice, and very pro looking. Nice addition to the fridge.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Canoe12 - I've still got mine on the fridge and it still works as advertised.  Well worth the $.  tractors1 is a member of this Forum, however, I've not noticed him being online for quite some time.  Also, last year I sent him a PM mentioning that he might want to consider either attending our Owner's Rally or getting some of his product to the Rally for sale.  Unfortunately, I did not hear back from him.  If no luck on a PM here you might try RV Widget Works and/or one of the companies that sells accessories for Casita's.

Bill

Charlie sells his stuff through Little House Customs too and the fridge guard can be purchased there.

http://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html

He also makes a fridge spill containment tray for the bottom of the fridge that will fit our fridge. It works great keeping drinks and things from rolling around the bottom and contains any spills.

• Thanks 3

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax