Smartphone Apps

topgun2

• Moderators

There are a number of reasons that I do not generally carry a cell phone.  However, while on the road I always have one available for emergencies and as a back-up for my tablet and/or laptop.  Even though these things can be annoying I'm becoming more convinced that they really can be very handy.

For years I've always carried ear plugs to use while trying to sleep when I've had to camp in noisy places.  I've also carry "relaxing" music that I can play through my Oliver's  music system (placed on the built in timer so it shuts off after I'm sleeping).  Not until recent though have I used an App on my smart phone to create "white noise".  The App that I use is called "White Noise HD" and is free in the Google Playstore.  There are a number of different "noises" and I can select to add (or subtract) various other sounds from a particular track.

If you have trouble sleeping in a noisy environment you just might want to consider something of this "nature".

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

18 hours ago, topgun2 said:

If you have trouble sleeping in a noisy environment you just might want to consider something of this "nature".

Bill

My niece, the city girl, while visiting the lake, wanted to know what all the noise was, I didn't hear anything,  upon inquiry, it turned out it was - as she coined it -"nature noise"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

In terms of my Oliver, my favorite smartphone app is Dometic’s Thermostat Control. This app requires replacing the thermostat with a Bluetooth compatible version. 

My wife gets up early in the morning to turn on the heat, and then goes back to bed. I figured that the with the Bluetooth thermostat she could control the thermostat from the comfort of her warm bed using the app on her iPhone. 

Here is a video overview of the thermostat.

I contacted Dometic customer service (customersupportcenter@dometic.com) to ask which model to get. I told them that I had a Dometic Thermostat model 3313194, and they asked for the brand and model of the AC unit. I told them a Dometic Penguin, model number 936000724. They replied that I had model number 641935C751C0 (I think this is the capacitor part number), and thus the part for a Bluetooth CT thermostat replacement is 3316255.000 for white and 3316255.011 for black. Based on their response, it sounds like there are a number of models. Email correspondence below.

Dometic emails.pdf

I purchased my Bluetooth thermostat from Panther RV for $77 with tax and shipping. 

It was easy enough to swap out the thermostat, with only three colored wires. One piece of advice: Remove the fuse before starting the project. Don’t ask me how I know this. 

The iPhone app works great. Actually, it is easier to use than the wall mounted controls. 

If your travel partner is the one who gets out of bed to adjust the thermostat, buying and installing this would be a thoughtful Christmas gift. 

Prospective owners might want to see if Oliver could install a Bluetooth thermostat during your build. 

Edited by DavidS
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• 9 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, DavidS said:

In terms of my Oliver, my favorite smartphone app is Dometic’s Thermostat Control. This app requires replacing the thermostat with a Bluetooth compatible version. 

So I finally got around to ordering a new thermostat and replacing mine.  This is a really nice upgrade - very easy to do and works as advertised.  

The only complaint I have is that (unless I'm missing something) the thermostat can only pair with one phone at a time.  So to switch phones, you have to go through the pairing process each time.  That's not a deal breaker, though.  It will be nice to be able to switch the furnace on while I'm still snug in bed.