Another PNW resident joining the club

Jim_Oker

I have a scheduled delivery of an LE II in  late December. I'm  still  sorting out some of the options for our unit, and I  want to thank many of the current owners who have contributed generously here on this forum, which is  a great info resource. 

We currently have a 2004 Ford E250 with a (no-bath, fairly simple) camper van  which has been great for use in  nice weather in all seasons and for boondocking in nicer weather, but the  Ollie will open up a variety of new options such as off-season  coastal  camping here in  the PNW (when the standard sized van with a raised top can start to feel VERY small for two plus dog!), spending a few nights in local ski area parking lots with the ability to clean up each evening, and so forth. After considering a variety  of RV options, I settled  on this as the one that best met a mix of aesthetic and practical goals for four season camping. 

We will initially use the Ford (which has the 5.4L V8) as our TV, but I suspect that we will eventually buy a worthy truck or beefy SUV for the  job, as the  Ford won't be optimal for either  winter or mountain  towing. From what  I've  seen  I have no doubt a few current forum members will be more than happy  to tell me what  will and won't  work  for  the job ;-). 

• Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators

Welcome, and I'm sure the time til pickup of your new Oliver will fly!

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry - yes indeed! We have plenty  to do between now and then, including  plenty of  camping.  I'm looking forward to the  new toy though, of course!!

BTW, thanks so much for  sharing tips on fiberglass maintenance - your link to a Practical Sailor overview  article with many links was super  helpful.  I have to do remove some oxidation from  an undermaintained top  of our camper  van, and that info was by far the most comprehensive and credible of all  the  sources  I've  found for dealing  with that job and getting myself back on the straight  and narrow with respect  to taking  care of  my fiberglass toys!!

Welcome to the crew.  we are in Everett, Hull 505 Galway Girl.

You might find our blog documenting our trip to pickup the trailer of some use in travel plans.  Here’s the link:

https://4-ever-hitched.com

Craig & Rose

• Thanks 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your blog. Looks like you had a great trip. I will  be hoping to find a route each way that conforms to the weather systems likely moving through around  then. I will probably stay pretty far south until in CA on the way home but am hoping  to be able to take a more direct route on the way out. I would  love to spend 2-3 nights near  White Sands NM on  the way home so if weather cooperates I will use that  to organize homeward journey around.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

Thanks for sharing your blog. Looks like you had a great trip. I will  be hoping to find a route each way that conforms to the weather systems likely moving through around  then. I will probably stay pretty far south until in CA on the way home but am hoping  to be able to take a more direct route on the way out. I would  love to spend 2-3 nights near  White Sands NM on  the way home so if weather cooperates I will use that  to organize homeward journey around.

If you stop near White Sands you might want to check out Aguirre Spring BLM.  $7, no hookups, clean vault toilets, spectacular views.  You drive up the side of the mountain to the campground.  You can see White Sands NP in the distance.  Highly recommend.

5AE54E5D-39E6-4848-8C27-6BB500E5B619.jpeg

6EC1FBEB-C5D0-4EA4-8F1D-BBE2B929F50E.jpeg

45F5E997-18EF-4C84-BB57-CC1A4B4357BE.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

That's a beautiful looking spot.

On the other side of White Sands is Cloudcroft.  There's a USFS campground there as well as dispersed camping throughout the forrest.  I suspect the USFS campground will be closed that time of year though.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Sweet - thanks for those campsite tips! Agguire Spring looks like a beautiful  spot. I have yet  to consult climate charts to sanity  check likely weather  but in my currently optimistic and ignorant state that looks like a contender!! 🙂