Which size?

TexasGuy

So I still have time with my build sheet and I am starting to waffle on the LE vs LEII.    I really like small size option of LE but one reason for getting trailer is to spend time with my son who is 16.   I’d love to have his older sister along but she isn’t much of a camper 🙂

In the LE the smaller dinette seems too small for an adult to sleep for extended period of time. Anyone close to 6ft actually sleep there  ? I was looking at specs again and those dimensions are concerning.  

The LEII twin option is appealing as it gives him a good bed and when we can talk her sister into coming there is a third bed for her.  Despite sleeping in a king at home the width of twin in LEII is pretty much the space I actually use.  The 40lb dog is a real bed hog!

The LE height is also a slight concern   I am just over 6ft and I think extra height in LEII might be very welcome.

Any LEII owners have issues camping in national parks due to trailer size? We plan to visit many of those.    

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, TexasGuy said:

Any LEII owners have issues camping in national parks due to trailer size? We plan to visit many of those.    

We’ve camped in quite a few National Parks and have not had a size problem yet.  We haven’t tried Chisos Basin campground in Big Bend National Park but I would give it a try.  We have heard from some fellow Elite II owners who got in that it was a little tight.  I think the Elite II is small enough to fit into most campgrounds but big enough for a couple to be comfortable.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

We've been to over 250 of the National Park units from every state including Alaska. I've sometimes had to have help (Chiricahua National Monument) but have never been unable to get into a campsite with our LEII (2014 Hull # 050). From 2008 to 2013 we had one of the original Elites (Hull # 026).

From a height standpoint, the LEII will be a better fit for you tall folks. From our experiences, the Elite was a little small for two adults and three dogs, the largest one at about 100 pounds.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

@ScubaRxAre the campsites in Michigan too small?  Or is there another reason you've not been there in your Ollie?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

SOME National Park campgrounds are really tight, like Glacier and Olympic, as are MANY older state parks that have not been "modernized" and renovated, and lots of NFS campgrounds. Anything in heavy trees may be problematic. Many COE and Dept of Wildlife spots are pretty darned tiny. Many are awkward  for maneuvering. Not that you can't find a spot, just that you will find way less to choose from. 

I find the LE2 to be a fine size generally, but when I see that really nice 40 ft back-in site with a tree or large rock at the very end of it, I wish the trailer were five feet shorter. And we have't even mentioned doing u-turns..... If I were a lone camper I would be much happier with an LE1 behind my Land Cruiser.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

@ScubaRxAre the campsites in Michigan too small?  Or is there another reason you've not been there in your Ollie?

Good question. As you can see on the map Michigan is not on the way to anywhere. We've just not gone out of out way to go there. We almost did on the way back from Alaska in 2019 (Wow! was that only a year ago?) but didn't. I do want to go out to Isle Royale and that would necessitate going there. No other reason we haven't been.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

The Elite I fits about anywhere.  I have photos (somewhere) of ours, and Pete's backed into tiny (what should be called tent spaces,) between trees. 

How tall is your son? Do you tent camp together,  now? I ask that, because the Elite I is definitely smaller. Two adults in a tiny trailer  is more like tent camping, but climate controlled,  and way more comfy .

Can a 6 ft person sleep in the small dinette bed? Yes. But, it's narrow. 24" wide, like a small camp cot or sleeping bag.

Have you seen a smaller Elite?

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The other thing I will say is, the smaller Elite is great for one person, or a couple willing to share a full size bed. Small, light, nimble. Great in the u turns JED mentioned . Wide range of available tow vehicles .

When our nephew camps with us, (he was over 6' at 13), he opts for a small tent beside our trailer . The independence thing... 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.