Tow Vehicle

Imelda

On 1/25/2022 at 5:22 PM, Imelda said:

lack of availability of new trucks

I can attest to this. It took several months of hard searching to find a truck that was "scheduled" for build. I put refundable money down to hold it in my name, due to the crazy market and lack of availability. My truck was built (thankfully) and is not missing any parts (thankfully), but I still don't have a truck because shipping is a nightmare after our logistics bogged down from various circumstances (covid measures, loss of jobs during lockdowns, etc). My truck has been 'ready' for delivery since Christmas. Just waiting for it to be loaded on a train or a truck; some people have been waiting for a finished vehicle for six months. 

• Wow 2
  • Sad 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

My truck was built (thankfully) and is not missing any parts (thankfully), but I still don't have a truck because shipping is a nightmare after our logistics bogged down from various circumstances (covid measures, loss of jobs during lockdowns, etc). My truck has been 'ready' for delivery since Christmas. Just waiting for it to be loaded on a train or a truck; some people have been waiting for a finished vehicle for six months. 

I'm so sorry to hear this!

Certainly I would not be happy at all - not only with the delay of over a month, but, also with the fact that the truck is probably sitting out in the elements.  Of course I would assume that it will get a nice wash and - perhaps - even a polish job before being delivered, but, since I always store my vehicles inside when I'm not using them, I wouldn't feel right about it.

Hopefully your new ride gets to you shortly - good luck!

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I can attest to this. It took several months of hard searching to find a truck that was "scheduled" for build. I put refundable money down to hold it in my name, due to the crazy market and lack of availability. My truck was built (thankfully) and is not missing any parts (thankfully), but I still don't have a truck because shipping is a nightmare after our logistics bogged down from various circumstances (covid measures, loss of jobs during lockdowns, etc). My truck has been 'ready' for delivery since Christmas. Just waiting for it to be loaded on a train or a truck; some people have been waiting for a finished vehicle for six months. 

What a bummer.

What brand truck did you order?

I love my RAM Rebel and plan to keep it for a bunch of years, especially after pricing out a new 2022 RAM Rebel a few weeks ago. If I had ordered, the dealer said it would be delivered around 6 weeks. Do you believe that?

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

I love my RAM Rebel and plan to keep it for a bunch of years, especially after pricing out a new 2022 RAM Rebel a few weeks ago. If I had ordered, the dealer said it would be delivered around 6 weeks. Do you believe that?

No way I would believe 6 weeks, even if it was already built. No matter what manufacturer. 

I didn't actually "order" a truck (which apparently is even slower!) -- I nabbed one that was already slated to be built and delivered to the local dealer: a 2022 Silverado 2500 HD. I lucked into it, by walking into the dealer on the day that they learned it was coming (early Nov).

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

I been looking to order a new Jeep Wrangler as a TOY just to have around the house to add to the collection, but my dealer where I purchased my other trucks, etc., can not give me a delivery time. They say 20-30 weeks if lucky, I personally don't buy into that, so I will pass at this time on ordering one. I have found the same on other vehicles like a Polaris Ranger and a Kubota tractor, they just can't give me a delivery date within two, or three months. All being said, if you have a good tow vehicle I would stick with it until the avaibility becomes available, I don't see throwing good money away just to to make you feel better, my wife always ask me when I purchase a new vehicle, am I happy now and my answer is always, "for a day or two". 

trainman

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 3 weeks later...

Trainman,  The turn around is nowhere near 20-30 weeks for wranglers. I ordered a toy this year on 2/11 and it was built in 10 days (2/18) from the order. Shipping is scheduled to leave on 2/28 and  Jeep just notified me today that delivery to dealer is scheduled 3/23 (has to go across country to where I am so it will take 4 weeks with the train and truck). Most jeep wranglers are delivered right now at 6-8 weeks after order.  Mine will be 6 weeks from order to dealer delivery. I have seen a couple make a whopping 4 weeks when they do not order many mopar options that have to be installed after it comes off production line.

On the topic of "Do I need the Anderson Hitch with a half ton pick up?"     IMO... Nope.. you don't need it.  A half ton will pull and Oliver just fine without a WDH...  

But change the wording of the question a bit to:   "Is a WDH required with most half ton pick ups?"  or "Is a WDH a good idea for most half ton pick ups?"    I would answer with a resounding YES! 

Thought you all might find this article interesting. 

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/vocational/article/15047718/get-sued-the-easy-way-tow-trailers-with-pickups

• Like 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

The need/requirement for use of a weight distribution hitch such as the Andersen system is based on the manufacturers specs for tongue weight limit of the tow vehicle.  If you check the towing guides that are published by the manufacturers, you will find that most 1/2 ton pickup trucks have a tongue weight limit of 500 lbs. for a basic weight carrying hitch, and for tongue weights above that you need/ require a weight distribution hitch.  And an Elite II will exceed a 500 lbs. tongue weight.  And when you get above a 500 lbs. tongue weight you are probably starting to get really close to your payload/cargo limit of your tow vehicle (this is NOT the same thing as towing capacity) when you add in your camping gear, a bed cover or cap, a bed liner, Rock Tamer mud flaps, tools, etc.  Here’s an example from Ford’s towing guide showing the tongue load limits for the F-150.   And all the limits are based on assuming a 150 lb. driver and passenger.   I don’t know about the rest of you but 150 lbs was a long time ago  😂

CD3CE6AE-1333-4BA5-B581-50D7F52F07CD.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Snake Eyes said:

Trainman,  The turn around is nowhere near 20-30 weeks for wranglers. I ordered a toy this year on 2/11 and it was built in 10 days (2/18) from the order. Shipping is scheduled to leave on 2/28 and  Jeep just notified me today that delivery to dealer is scheduled 3/23 (has to go across country to where I am so it will take 4 weeks with the train and truck). Most jeep wranglers are delivered right now at 6-8 weeks after order.  Mine will be 6 weeks from order to dealer delivery. I have seen a couple make a whopping 4 weeks when they do not order many mopar options that have to be installed after it comes off production line.

I will say it was around two months ago that the dealer told me the time line on orders for the Wranglers. I do get on the Wrangler Forum and the time line has come down some, but this mainly depends on which model Wrangler you want to order and certain options, some are still six months out. I want the Willys Sport (base model) model with only A/C option, It will have the 6 spd. manual trans and is still a well equipped vehicle, it will list for $35,000.00. Like I said in my previous post it will be a TOY and shifting is my thing in a Jeep, it my choice. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.