2022 Tundra Hybrid drive test review

John E Davies

This is from the Toyota Cruisers and Trucks e-magazine.The author test drove three models with this engine, including towing a 5500 pound Airstream. I find the dyno graph to be enlightening, showing how the electric and engine power overlap. 600 ft lbs or torque at about 1300 rpm! 😳😳😳. That is about what my 2006 Ram 5.9 Cummins made at 1800. And the peak torque is 800?  I actually find it hard to believe since they advertise 583 ft lbs.

735F6AB2-A2D7-4E34-85CD-41B464404787.thumb.jpeg.f887233a09e56b270be857c8d539fc93.jpeg

Scroll down to page 18.

Toyota Cruisers and Trucks Winter 2022.

Maybe those power figures are hypothetical, and they dial it way down for longevity….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I can't seem to open that page, but I'd love to read it.

Screenshot_20220416-154812_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

OK, I guess they don’t want direct links. Try this

https://tctmagazine.net/winter-2022/winter-2022-tundra-hybrid-test-drive-javex-2021-ut-spring-fling-misty-s-fjc-2023-sequoia

Scroll down a little and hit the “Download Now” button. Let me know if that works.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Thanks. I just clicked on "read online," and read it all. I'm impressed. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Believe the 2022 Tundra Hybrid and 2023 Sequoia Hybrid will be beast for towing. They will be developing power/torque in the lower RPM ranges like a diesel. Our 2022 Tundra's 3.5L V6 (without Hybrid system) is very powerful as a TV for Ollie, can only imagine how the Hybrid will be as a TV.

• Like 3

2015 LE2

Can anyone comment on that weird dyno/ power chart?

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Moderators

rideandfly

Thank you for your positive comments on your 22 Tundra.  I believe you and mtkadan are the only 22 Tundra owners on the OTT forum.  Can you tell us what the Load Carrying Capacity is for your new truck which I believe is a 2 wheel drive SR5?

Mossey 

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies
Spokane WA

Maybe that chart is in the lab under a best case scenario.  The suggested EPA MPG’s in the article also seem to be very optimistic.

Mossey

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies
Spokane WA

John,

Always though Toyota was spot on advertising specifications. More I look at the charts, the torque is not close to advertised specs.

• Like 1

2015 LE2

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

rideandfly

Thank you for your positive comments on your 22 Tundra.  I believe you and mtkadan are the only 22 Tundra owners on the OTT forum.  Can you tell us what the Load Carrying Capacity is for your new truck which I believe is a 2 wheel drive SR5?

Mossey 

Our SR5 has a load capacity of 1400 pounds with a 6990 pound GVW. Noticed the heavier Hybrid has a higher GVW.

Here's CAT scale results from a February camping trip towing Ollie with the 2022 Tundra.

Tundra%20Oliver%20Weights-X2.jpg

Posted additional information about the 2022 SR5 2WD Tundra here, these reports have additional information on comfort, MPG, and weights.

• Like 1

2015 LE2

VERY long and boring comparison between the both generations. Start at 15:00 for the new hybrid review. I don’t care much for the guy.

”Feels like a supercharged V8”…. That will do for me. In a Sequoia TRD Pro.

Video - 1st Drive Impressions Of A 2022 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators
9 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Posted additional information about the 2022 SR5 2WD Tundra here, these reports have additional information on comfort, MPG, and weights.

I am sorry for the redundant questions on your new Tundra.  I totally missed the report you linked to about your driving experience so far.  Sounds like it is going well, congrats!

Mossey

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mossemi said:

I am sorry for the redundant questions on your new Tundra.  I totally missed the report you linked to about your driving experience so far.  Sounds like it is going well, congrats!

Mossey

Happy to share information. The Tundra is making a nice TV for our LE2 Ollie!

• Like 2

2015 LE2

The pro looks nice but at almost 70k for a half ton I’m not sure the value is there (IMO).  It’ll be interesting to see how it compares to the raptor. Slightly disappointed the $3.5k hybrid option is not available on the SR5, looks like it starts on the limited and up. 

• Like 1