Ozark Trailriders, Ollie Wannabees

ELGR

Hello from Pineville. MO.  We have been riding horses the last 25 years on the innumerable trails of the four state area where we live, in SW Missouri.  We’re thinking it’s time to give it up for something we can better handle, as hips & knees (etc.  etc.) make it harder to get on and off,  and the 5-6 hour rides become more like 2, on a good day.

We recently did a 4 week no horses trip to the Alabama Gulf Coast, using our very nice 34’ gooseneck horse trailer with full RV living quarters.  We got lots of looks, questions about “did we bring our horses …??!!”, stealth photos to show all their RV purist friends, and outright rejection at some parks.  On the plus side, without the horses, we had an amazing toy hauler for e-bikes. Klepper folding kayak, BlackStone griddle, etc.,  with room left over for all the extra kitchen sinks we’d ever want to carry.

Not really caring about the snobby RV purists, or at least telling myself that, the biggest frustration is parking in medium to small sites. A pad that would work well for a 35-38’ Fifth Wheel can be quite a challenge for us  because of the axles being all the way aft vs amidships on the Fivers and Travel Trailers.  We need way more space to maneuver than many camps are designed for.

We recently discovered Ollies, as a spin off from investigating a Casita we ran across.  We’re fascinated about the possibilities they open up, but also concerned about losing all our toy hauler space.  I especially hate the thought of e-bikes on a rack, exposed to weather.  (I question if there are covers that really work in a downpour or blizzard.)  On the plus side, we love the freedom an Ollie would afford for getting into virtually any park or site, 4 season capability and great generator-free boondocking.

All this is just to introduce ourselves, hoping to share thoughts and experiences with others who have wrestled with the considerations associated with a similar downsizing lifestyle.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Larry and Linda 

A6E0ABF5-DE54-4299-A84D-C10DD05A4506.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Welcome!

There are a few owners here on the Forum that do carry bikes on a rack with covers.  At least one of those - Patriot_- is very happy with the arrangement he has put together.

Many of us have owned other RV's with some being 5th wheels.  And, of course we had to address those same questions you are now dealing with.  In the end most of us chose the Oliver's size due to the ease of towing and its ability to easily fit in virtually all camping spaces.  It appears to me that you will also have to make some hard choices when you finally decide that your long trail riding days are over.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Welcome to the forum.

Prior to buyng my Elite II, I had 3 different types of pop-up campers over the years (Apache & Colemans), I was going from small to big. So I found there was a lot more storage in the Oliver than in the pop-ups. Your horse trailer must have had more space then you knew what to do with, when traveling with no horses.

I think you will find when you buy an Oliver there is sufficent storage for things you really need and anything else you probably really to not need to take with you. Plus there is more storage in your truck.

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Yes, we’ll need to learn about making better use of truck bed storage with an Oliver.  With our gooseneck hitch trailer it went mostly unused. Time to explore bed covers, slide out trays, camper tops, etc.  We have a 2019 RAM 1-ton dually diesel for the horse trailer, so lots of room and payload capacity.

image.thumb.jpeg.26a580346f1c3d9a5c3e2040f636857a.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ELGR said:

We have a 2019 RAM 1-ton dually diesel

Ya won't even know that the Ollie is behind you with that beast!.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

@ELGR 

Here is additional info (link below) for you to take a look at with regarding to a bike rack and cover.

I also answered your PM. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Patriot🇺🇸

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/3/2023 at 5:11 PM, ELGR said:

Yes, we’ll need to learn about making better use of truck bed storage with an Oliver.  With our gooseneck hitch trailer it went mostly unused. Time to explore bed covers, slide out trays, camper tops, etc.  We have a 2019 RAM 1-ton dually diesel for the horse trailer, so lots of room and payload capacity.

image.thumb.jpeg.26a580346f1c3d9a5c3e2040f636857a.jpeg

ELGR:

I had my RAM dealer install a soft bed cover. I like it as I can roll it up toward the cab and put stuff in the bed that is tall.

The cover is not 100% water tight and sometimes get a little damp at the rear of the bed.

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

We downsized from a 5th wheel and put a Diamondback cover on our dually. Secure storage underneath and bike racks (or whatever) on top. But it would be a hassle to remove when you want to haul your horse trailer.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I was having sticker shock, until I checked the price of a new Airstream 23FB Twin.  It makes Oliver look like a real bargain!  I’m moving forward, no longer thinking I’m crazy to consider spending this much on a travel trailer. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We downsized from a 5th wheel and put a Diamondback cover on our dually. Secure storage underneath and bike racks (or whatever) on top. But it would be a hassle to remove when you want to haul your horse trailer.

I’m not familiar with Diamondback covers.  They look awesome.  Eager to check them out.

Just started reading your blog.  So excited to follow someone on such a similar journey.  Do you have a YouTube channel??!!

20 hours ago, ELGR said:

Do you have a YouTube channel??!!

Nah. I taught video/film production for 19 years. Feels too much like work to me now. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We drove two hours on Saturday to see an Oliver, coordinated by the HQ sales team.  To say it was life changing may be a little over the top, but not by much.  We had gone to see one of our favorite Fifth Wheel RVs two days prior, to have the comparison fresh in our mind.  My reaction was the same as every other Fifth wheel experience.  I love the recliners facing a 50” TV, spacious kitchen, etc; but, when I go back outside, I am totally intimidated by the size, especially the height.

As soon as we walked into the Ollie it was love at first sight, for both of us.  Typically, when I go in a traditional travel trailer, it is disappointing. “Cheap balsa wood crap” is always how it feels.  The Ollie was exactly opposite.  Despite all our reading and YouTube videos,  we were not prepared for the impact of the quality.  I’m struggling to put it into words. Cozy, embracing, just right … ?

So, we’ll be scheduling our trip to Nashville for as soon as possible.  👍

Larry and Linda

• Like 6

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, ELGR said:

So, we’ll be scheduling our trip to Nashville for as soon as possible.

Bring your checkbook!😊

Bill

• Like 2

Near Asheville, NC

I have an abundance of toys at home.  I want to RV to see the US.  I see no problem putting my toys aside while RVing.

I see the Ollie as a way to travel light and move along at the drop of a hat.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, HDRider said:

I see the Ollie as a way to travel light and move along at the drop of a hat.

Ours has been just that. 

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.