Coil Spring Mattress

I did not want a latex mattress for my twin E2. I do not find them comfortable and they are heavy and floppy when removing/moving to clean and acceas hatches beneath. Until now, I have ised tje standard cushion with a 4” REI inflatable mattress as a topper. It has worked well except that the valve has begun to leak and I have tried to fix it without success. I began to look for places which would build custom inner spring mattresses. I found one and is was more than a set of new tires for the Ollie. Newp!

I decided I would try to modify a standard twin (39x75”) to fit the E2, including the radius corner. I have a spare twin mattress at home but it has top and bottom perimeter 3/16” wire which I didn't want to deal with splicing back together. So, instead I found a new innerspring twin and brought it home. After using my Ollie cushion to trace the new shape onto the new mattress I cut into the mattress and using wire cutters, snipped away two rows of coils plus a single coil on the corner to accommodate the radius, stitched the batting and cover back together and here is the result.   So far I am liking the result. It is very firm and is rigid and light. Will sleep on it in a few nights to see if it passes the test

First pic is of new mattress. Second pic is the rows of coils I removed

D0FEA4D8-20A5-4B8D-9073-3381FEF88C79.jpeg

8AE63B57-6978-4AB5-85D5-45B7CD329752.jpeg

88CFA3A1-C6C6-4AB2-8EFD-E0AEC9825306.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Not a spring coil sleeper here, as we really like memory foam. It appears your modification may very well work out for you! Please post up on your results so others may know how it worked out. 👍🏻

Patriot🇺🇸

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

I've done a lot of upholstery over the years. Working with springs is my least favorite thing. Hats off to you. 

Great work. Hope that you're getting a great night's sleep. You certainly deserve it, with all that work!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Very interesting project.  Like the idea of lightening up the load - have you an estimate on how many pounds you'll no longer be hauling around?  Just curious.  Thanks for such a cool post.

Cheers!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

6 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Very interesting project.  Like the idea of lightening up the load - have you an estimate on how many pounds you'll no longer be hauling around?  Just curious.  Thanks for such a cool post.

Cheers!

Not sure how much lighter the new mattress is over the standard cushion and air mattress combination it replaces.  Probably close to a wash.  However, it is likely much lighter than its peer latex mattress.  Slept on it last night and it is nice and firm.  A good night sleep if you like that sort of thing.  It was simple to make the bed.  Lifting the mattress as a single unit, without flopping around and not heavy at all.  I like it and best of all it was less than $200 for the new mattress.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW