Propane Leak issues - How to find the source - What alternative interim systems available meantime

Boudicca908

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
On 10/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, dewdev said:

Did you get a resolution to your gas leak-Co detector issue?

Not yet! I’m still suspecting a leak in or along the piping to the propane cooktop. The combustible gas detector consistently detects gas in that area. I didn’t want to try to uninstall the stove during my summer sojourn. I’m scheduled to visit OTT mothership in a couple of weeks, where I have a service appointment for this and a few other items, plus maintenance work. 

And in the meantime, my CO/LP Alarm has inconsistently gone off — at seemingly random intervals. 

• Sad 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

• Moderators
On 10/8/2023 at 9:49 PM, Boudicca908 said:

I’m still suspecting a leak in or along the piping to the propane cooktop.

I do remember a Service Bulletin on this subject - perhaps your stove was one of the ones in question.

Be careful until you get it fixed!

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 10/9/2023 at 8:58 AM, topgun2 said:

Be careful until you get it fixed!

Thanks — I saw that bulletin, but I think OTT listed dates or something that would rule out my Oliver. I trust OTT’s Service Dept will figure it out. Meanwhile, my propane tanks have been off for weeks (whenever it was that I was testing with the combustible gas detector, in August). I don’t know if the continuing alarms are sensing propane (perhaps a leak in the lines? and that makes no sense to me, because the lines should be clear by now) or if the sensors are faulty. But the alarm clears when I open the windows and turn on the exhaust fan. And if I don’t use the fan, it often sounds again after the time programmed in the alarm. The upside of this experience is that I now have equipment that serves me without the propane — the heater and the induction cooktop and an additional tank that I use with my griddle outside. 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

• 2 weeks later...

I’m here at the mothership, happily handing my Oliver into the care of the service department. I’ll give an update on the propane leak, once they determine the cause. 

When I pulled in last night, I noticed that four of us here hailed from all four corners of the US: Oregon, Maine, Florida and one bound for Palm Springs. I also discovered that Paula & Will from Maine are the current owners of the first Oliver I toured in Punta Gorda Florida — previously owned by Robert and Sue. What are the odds?! 

IMG_8301.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

What are the odds?!

1 in about 1500 to start?  

But, permutations would make that number a bit higher!😁 

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

7 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

1 in about 1500 to start

To start… but being in the same place on the same day, one hailing from Maine and the other from Southwest Florida, seems remarkable. 

• Like 3

UPDATE: 

Three cheers to Oliver’s Service Department! 

My propane leak was a loose connection at the propane stove. They detected the leak, there was no debris or issues with flare, they simply had to tighten the connection.  

(That Riverside RV Service Center in Bismarck should be ashamed. I went all summer without using my propane because they didn’t detect the leak that I suggested was coming from the stove.) 

OTT also fixed damage I had, resulting from the handling at Riverside Service Center. And OTT also managed to squeeze me into their schedule for an annual maintenance. So hats off to Jason and the team! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

(That Riverside RV Service Center in Bismarck should be ashamed. I went all summer without using my propane because they didn’t detect the leak that I suggested was coming from the stove.) 

Sadly, this is why I don't use RV service centers.  I choose to do the work myself.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

Sadly, this is why I don't use RV service centers.  I choose to do the work myself.

Unfortunately,  not everyone has the skills and tools to do that. 

Glad for you that you can.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.