Installation of Anderson WD system

Dave and Dana

HI,

I am converting my standard hitch ball to the Anderson WD ball.  (2 inch ball, was towing with an Audi Q7, but upgraded to Tundra 1/2 ton).

Soooo, Oliver says to set top of ball to 23n1/2 inch above ground.  Anderson WD instructions say to level trailer, measure top of coupler and add 1n1/2 to 2 inches, and then use that measurement as your top of ball distance.

With my Ollie level, using both the bubble and a confirmation by placing a 4 foot level along the seam between top and bottom half of Ollie, my bulldog is 18n1/2 inch off the ground.  Using Anderson instructions my ball height on truck would be 20n1/2 inch off ground..... far from the 23n1/2 Oliver recommends.

Which is "right", for people with Anderson hitch, installed by factory, how far off ground is the top of your ball?

Thanks,

Dave W

TV 2020 Audi Q7, no weight distribution hitch.  Ollie E2, Hull #1081, born April 2022.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Did you measure to the top of the Bulldog? Actually to the top, inside, where the ball rests. Your measurements are so far off that I have to think there is a basic human error. Those Andersen instructions are very ballpark, don’t be afraid to play with nut tightness and ball height. Your tundra should be loaded for travel, with moderate tension on the chains, the Ollie should ideally be close to level.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I am measuring to top of bulldog (per video instruction from Anderson, who then wants me to add 2 inches to that measurement to use for the height of the ball on my truck).  My trailer is level, on level ground.  Level by "eyeball", the bubble, and with a 4 foot level placed along the fiberglass seem that runs parallel between top and bottom half of the trailer.

Assuming you use the Anderson WD hitch; can I ask,  "What is the distance from ground to top of your ball with no trailer attached?"  

Oliver service says to set ball height of truck to 23n1/2 to 25 inch's.

Dave

TV 2020 Audi Q7, no weight distribution hitch.  Ollie E2, Hull #1081, born April 2022.

• Moderators

When I used the Andersen with three previous trucks (Tacoma and two Ram 1500s) I was usually at about 24” +/- a quarter.  It doesn’t have to be exact, somewhat depends on your truck suspension.   I have to agree with John, 18.5” seems a bit off.  Maybe a picture might help?   Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 7/23/2023 at 1:03 PM, Dave and Dana said:

Oliver service says to set ball height of truck to 23n1/2 to 25 inch's.

Oliver Service is right.

The tow vehicle for my 2022 Elite II is a 2019 Tundra, 5.7L V8 with tow package.  The top of my Andersen hitch ball sits precisely 23-1/2" from the ground, on a level concrete surface, without the trailer attached.  Of course, when the trailer is attached the truck squats a bit, which then results in a level towing position.

I am quite particular about ensuring that the trailers I tow sit level when towed.  Placing the top of the Andersen hitch ball at 23-1/2" off a level floor, with a Tundra, will result in a level towing position for an Elite II, if both the truck and trailer are properly loaded.  See photo below.

Tundra With Trailer.jpg

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

13 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

am quite particular about ensuring that the trailers I tow sit level when towed.  Placing the top of the Andersen hitch ball at 23-1/2" off a level floor, with a Tundra, will result in a level towing position for an Elite II, if both the truck and trailer are properly loaded.

@Dave and Dana:  FYI:  We roll the same as @Rivernerd regarding attention to TV/OTT level when towing.  Our 2" Andeerson ball height is exactly 23.75" off a level surface when the TV is properly loaded.  The Bulldog is 23.25" above level surface....  Our Tundra  squats about 1.5 - 1.75" when coupled.  We've added AirLift suspension bags which help reducing "porpoising" while towing, extend suspension life, and can fine-tune level conditions, if necessary.  We're running them with approximately 23psi.  Hope this helps out.

Cheers, Amigo...

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX