Campgrounds near Mt. Rushmore

SYoung

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Not a public campground (not a state park or NP campground), but we stayed at the Custer/Mount Rushmore/Black Hills KOA when we visited Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monuments.  Custer SD is a great little town and the KOA is convenient to all the sights in the area.   And it's a very nice, well maintained KOA campground.

IMG_9971.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Custer state park SD  is a beautiful park with several campgrounds and on the highway loop to Mt Rushmore. 

see pix of it in our blog here:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/epic-adventure-2021

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Plus one on Custer SP.

And the wildlife loop road, at dusk and dawn!

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I misread how far you could book the state parks so they were full.  We stayed at  Custer Crazy Horse Campground.  Right by town of Custer and great access to all the sites. Good option if SP full. 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

Some years ago, we visited the Custer area and stayed in a commercial CG on the outskirts of Custer City.  While there, we had two credit card purchases that seemed somewhat “unusual”, but not enough so that I stopped the process.  After we left the area, we received a call from the fraud department of our bank alerting us to a few significant purchases  made in England. 😳  We locked that card, requested a new issue, and used cash on the remainder of the trip.  I suspect the merchants in England had to eat the loss.

It could have been a coincidence that it happened after leaving there, but I don’t know.  Don’t let a merchant take your card out of your sight, and don’t allow a merchant to use a device you don’t recognize.   The first  incident is what occurred at the CG, the second was at a famous tourist attraction.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 3

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

On 10/28/2023 at 4:51 PM, Galway Girl said:

Custer state park SD  is a beautiful park with several campgrounds and on the highway loop to Mt Rushmore. 

see pix of it in our blog here:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/epic-adventure-2021

I second CSP.  Loved it there.

The breakfast buffet at the lodge was great

In the park up from where we camped in the mountainous Black Hills of South Dakota

https://blackhillsvisitor.com/learn/the-summer-white-house-of-1927/

We were sitting on the grand front porch late one afternoon enjoying the company of new friends and a young girl handed me her camera and asked me to take her picture.  I looked over at one of the fellows sitting next to me and laughed.  He was a world famous photographer. 

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4