External Zamp connector

johnwen

Hello,

I have hull 996 (2022 Oliver Elite 2) and had OTT install an external Zamp connector to use a portable solar panel.  Currently I use a Renogy 100w portable panel, through a reversing connector installed on the Zamp connector.  All works ok but I'd like to replace the OTT supplied Zamp connector with an Anderson Powerpole connector.  If I can work up the courage to cut a hole in the side of my Oliver :classic_unsure:.

My question is this:  can I simply remove the Zamp connector and use the wiring as installed by OTT and connect to the Anderson...red to positive and black to negative?  My confusion comes from the fact that Zamp uses an unique polarity scheme and I don't know if OTT wired the trailer for that circuit differently. Can I just count on the trailers red to be positive and black to be negative?

I plan to simply cut off the 2 wires going to the Zamp connector and connect red to red, black to black, to the Anderson.  The 2 wires lead to a bundle that connect to other wires as shown in my attached photos.  I'm hoping I can simply use those 2 wires from the Zamp to connect to the Anderson.

Kind Regards,
John

1.jpg

2.jpg

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Now - that's interesting.  I thought that Oliver wired these external ports directly to the batteries.

From what I can see in the pics above it appears to me that the external port wires are being spliced into others that are coming off a circuit breaker which in turn goes to the batteries.  If I'm correct then what I'd do is take the Zamp port off, test the wires (just to make absolutely sure) for "positive" and negative" with a multi-meter and then attach the wires to the appropriate terminals on the Anderson.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I want to put a future Victron MPPT controller underneath the twin bed and am exploring options to eliminate the Zamp connector as it seems flimsy and loose to me, with the added reverse polarity connection for my non-Zamp portable solar panel.  The Zamp SAE connection seems to pull loose quite often.  I'm not bent on using the Powerpole, mostly exploring options for the moment.  Right now I'll be going from an XT-60 connection on the solar panel to MC4 for 20 ft cabling to the Zamp to the Victron to the original battery wires from the Oliver that go to the external Zamp connector.  I don't much care for the difficulty in disconnecting MC4 connections...this is for a portable solar panel.  Right now I need to determine if the Victron can just connect directly to the 2 wires going from the Oliver to the Zamp connector.  As you can see from the photos, those 2 input wires go to a block the splits to destinations unknown to me.  I put this question to OTT service to see what they have to say.  I'm probably barking up the wrong tree with this, making things too complicated, but want to consider opportunities to simplify things with the Victron installation.

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

FYI:  IMO, the Anderson connectors are superior to SAE types.  They "clean" themselves with each connect/disconnect action - better connectivity.

Victron and Renogy components are our "go-to" off-grid power manufacturers, so far, they play well together....

Zamp is a known quantity - but we've not had 100% confidence in their products from our experience.  Take that for what its worth, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either Victron or Renogy gear.

Cheers...

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

19 hours ago, johnwen said:

All works ok but I'd like to replace the OTT supplied Zamp connector with an Anderson Powerpole connector.

For an external port, a waterproof connection is my preference. I purchased a couple of Andersons that had a ‘weather tight cover’ to seal when not in use, but returned them due to concerns when using in inclement weather. Although Anderson offers dust and waterproof components, I found none that were flush mount. Conversely, I ordered ports with waterproof bayonet-style connections when in use. 

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

59 minutes ago, johnwen said:

Any particular brand?

If you go to ‘Ollie Modifications’ and scroll through GJ’s post below, you will find a comment made with pertinent information. Power connectors and solar ports were both cheaper on ebay.

Flexible Solar Panels

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt