Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) - Just a reminder...

SNY SD UP

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/08/health/rocky-mountain-spotted-fever/index.html

I am guessing many of you are aware of this, and probably already do "Tick Patrol" when you return from hikes or at the end of the day.  Do you also check your "Furies" when they come in and lay on the floor or bedding? 
Although this article references adventures down to Mexico, RMSF and "Lyme Disease" (a different bacterium) occurs within the boarders of the US.  So far AK does not seem to have an issue with either at this time. (we were already planning to travel to AK 2024...)

We have lots of opportunities to temporarily host "Ticks" up here in ND (where Lyme disease is more common than RMSF) even without getting beyond our yard.  A family member did get a bite a few years back, we monitored the "Red Bite Ring" (never found the "bitter") and there did not appear to be any after effects from it.  

It just seems that some of the diseases and infections we are now subjected to, are more common but aggressive than they were 50-100 years ago.
Yes, we have better medicines that can help if administered in time, but some of these illnesses are becoming resistant to some of the go-to medicines of the past.

I am not trying to start a long thread of "war stories", but just a quick reminder to "Be Aware" and monitor, if you or your "Furies" do get the "Red Bite Ring"... 

Just like tire pressure and battery usage, another thing to be aware of, but not prevent us from going on our "Oli-ventures".

B~Out,

• Thanks 4
  • Like 3

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderator+

Thanks for the reminder. Good advice everyone.  

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

3 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Thanks for the reminder. Good advice everyone.  

100% Concur!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

Thanks, @Patriot and @SNY SD UP Preventing the bites, and early detection, are key to both rmsf and Lyme disease. 

Unfortunately,  the woods we love are where the ticks live, too. Long pants and sleeves, tucking in, and light colors help. If you are like me, and don't like to spray your skin, spraying your clothes after dressing for the day will definitely help. 

Ticks don't normally attach "immediately. " They wander, looking for the most cozy, warm and moist  spots. A scrubdown after a day in the woods will eliminate most. Shower within an hour or two of coming back to your site. Do a body check in that big shower door mirror, just to be sure. (Or ask your spouse/partner to check.)

If you do find a tick (especially unattached, or not engorged) you really don't need to panic. Not every tick carries disease. WASH your hands after removal and disposal. I kill ticks by wrapping them in a tissue and burning, or drop them in a lid with rubbing alcohol. Of I've removed an engorged tick, I drop it in a zip lock, with a short spray of insecticide, and save it for later examination.)

If, however, it's engorged, and well-attached, you may want to start antibiotics, before signs appear. (The target doesn't "always" appear, anyway.)

Doxycyclene is effective for both diseases, administered promptly. I think it's best within the first few days of discovery.  Your gp should be able to give you a script , so you have some in the first aid kit, so you can start battling,  until you can take the offending bugger, and yourself, to the local doctor. 

We camp in tick country every year. We do find ticks, but usually before they attach. None of us, nor our pets, have contracted anything, yet. 

Btw, protect your pets, as well. They're low to the ground, and need your help.  We inspect our dog every day, at least twice, morning and evening.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

From a Medical Point of View...

Doxycycline is an antibiotic in the tetracycline class that is used to treat many different bacterial infections including acne, urinary and respiratory tract infections, eye infections, gum disease, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis. It is not a new drug having been on the market since the late 1960's. It can also be used prevent malaria and treat infections caused by ticks such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF). Even though RMSF and Lyme disease are both infections you get from tick bites and can be treated with Doxycycline, they're different illnesses.

Warnings...

Keeping doxycycline “on hand” just in case you get a tick bite is not wise because taking expired tetracycline type drugs can lead to a form of kidney damage called Fanconi syndrome.
You should not take doxycycline if you are allergic to any tetracycline antibiotic.
It is unsafe for you to take doxycycline, if you have or have ever had:
    liver disease
    kidney disease
    asthma
    increased pressure inside your skull (could be caused from a severe head injury or stroke)
    if you also take seizure medicine, or a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin).
Doxycycline can make birth control pills less effective
Using doxycycline during pregnancy could harm the unborn baby or cause permanent tooth discoloration later in the baby's life.
Doxycycline can pass into breast milk and may affect bone and tooth development in a nursing infant
Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking doxycycline
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Doxycycline can make you sunburn more easily

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

That's valuable info, from a retired pharmacist, scubarx.

I'm sure the gp would give same advice, as well as warnings in the med. Or, prescribe a different med. 

Btw, whatever you carry, it's a good idea to check the first aid kit for expiration dates at the end of season, and replenish at the first trip. 

I have a number of med allergies, and learned my lesson after an accident in Amsterdam, years ago.  I like to have a broad spectrum antibiotic that im not allergic to, and my own first aid kit with me, wherever we go. 

Several years back, a friend camping with us in the Yukon developed a respiratory issue. I was glad I had a supply of guafinesin with me, til he could travel over a hundred miles to the nearest clinic, with a video connection to a doctor. (At that time, it wasn't available over the counter in pharmacies in Canada. I think it may be, now.)

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 12/9/2023 at 2:36 PM, SNY SD UP said:

It just seems that some of the diseases and infections we are now subjected to, are more common but aggressive than they were 50-100 years ago.

Agreed.
And sadly with the current situation with open borders we are going to see a lot more of these nasty diseases that we once for the most part eradicated in our country. The present illegal invasion streaming across our borders is continuing to bring with it lots of unchecked pestilence. When will we learn?

Let’s hope and pray this changes soon. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg