E-Bike hitch at back of Tow Vehicle when towing Ollie with Anderson Hitch

Wayne and Karen

We have the Anderson Hitch for towing our Ollie hull number 1432. We are keen to buy a pair of e-bikes but don’t want to put them on a rack at the back of the Ollie Legacy Elite II.  Does anyone have, or know of, a way to add a rack to the back of our Ram 1500 and still pull the Ollie with an Anderson hitch?  Looking to buy lighter bikes but even then, each will be around 50 pounds. Total of 100 pounds. 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

If you type the words - bike rack - in the Search box at the upper right of this page, it will return several pages of information.  

Of course, most of this information will be relative to the hitch located on the back of the Oliver.  However, even in those threads I'm guessing that you might find information that can be of interest to you.  You will also find threads specifically related to you question.  These threads vary from talking about mounting bikes on top of a tonneau cover to rack systems attached to the tongue/basket area of the Ollie and others.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Saris and others make a Bike Fork Mount for truck beds.  I have seen several trucks with the front wheel over the tail gate that is protected with padding over the gate.

TrapsTripleTrackLoadedwithBikesinCarTRK33TRK34_600x.webp.53b794101366ee6313b76ec940f65174.webp

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

Honestly, the tailgate mat listed above is probably your best bet other than bolting a wheel mount in the bed, although this takes up a lot of storage space in the truck and makes removing the bikes a requirement before removing some gear.  Locking your bikes up from thieves should be a consideration as well.  I looked at all the options and have decided the rear mount on the Oliver is the best place for my application.  I have a tonneau cover that keeps my gear locked up so a rack on top would make sure my bikes had the coveted Beetlejuice paint job everyone loves.  Same for mounting them on the front bumper.  

There aren't really a whole lot of options.  None of them are perfect but it sure beats not having our bikes when we want them.

• Thanks 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

14 hours ago, Wayne and Karen said:

We are keen to buy a pair of e-bikes but don’t want to put them on a rack at the back of the Ollie Legacy Elite II.

I solved our e-bike dilemma with a folding model and carry bag, easily transported in the TV under cap and staged on a front-mounted bike rack, as needed, when at camp. 

Bagged e-bikes shown behind the DuroMax generator. 

IMG_3030.thumb.jpeg.2137a05f6a571a1ce848601257384be9.jpeg

Front-mounted bike rack in use.

IMG_2320.thumb.jpeg.05cebe92714acf27d4f9b34c1ec1b1a8.jpeg

Secure storage.

IMG_2321.thumb.jpeg.c73d59f47710df97580485b113101f3e.jpeg

Additional security and protection at night and/or inclement weather.

IMG_2940.thumb.jpeg.1e676b64449f2606a37ad9e053a46905.jpeg

Staged for day use.

IMG_0687.thumb.jpeg.a299459b1f0f87bd0223a95640bfab36.jpeg

Easy transport to trails at distance from camp.

IMG_2948.thumb.jpeg.248ad983f1fab1b9055256a8e18758b1.jpeg

Bike rack in travel mode.

IMG_3936.thumb.jpeg.afec84783bc2e8f9b0412e04dce01e3e.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

22 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Honestly, the tailgate mat listed above is probably your best bet other than bolting a wheel mount in the bed, although this takes up a lot of storage space in the truck and makes removing the bikes a requirement before removing some gear.  Locking your bikes up from thieves should be a consideration as well.  I looked at all the options and have decided the rear mount on the Oliver is the best place for my application.  I have a tonneau cover that keeps my gear locked up so a rack on top would make sure my bikes had the coveted Beetlejuice paint job everyone loves.  Same for mounting them on the front bumper.  

There aren't really a whole lot of options.  None of them are perfect but it sure beats not having our bikes when we want them.

John in terms of "The wheel mount on the truck bed",  I have the removable bed liner.  I put a 3/4 inch of treated exterior plywood on the truck bed and inseted blind nuts.  I replaced the removable bed mat and inserted eye bolts into the exterior plywood through the bed mat.   This allows me to secure her recumbent trike. 

George Bergh

• Thanks 1

Legacy Elite II   Hull 218  TV  2023 Ford F-150 Lariat   2x4   5.0L Max Tow Pkg   Ham W8CB    South Central Michigan

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.  I carry our bikes on a bed rack above the tonneau cover. Lifting my wife’s e-bike, even with the battery removed is a heavy lift. The rack locks on the front thru axles. Every option has its pros and cons. The rack on a front of the truck receiver hitch means every rock, bug and road hazard will be in your bike. The rear of the Oliver is not really rated for heavy bikes and boy would they flop around on a rough road, ie I70 through Kansas and eastern Colorado. Racks in the bed consume valuable bed space. There maybe  some racks that mount above the propane doghouse. Good luck on your search!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

I have the Retrax tonneau cover with the T-track sides.  This allows install of Yakima crossbars.  On the Yakima HD crossbars are two 1Up bike carriers.  These are rated for E-bikes.  The bike in the photo is my size XL E-MTB with 29er size wheels.  This setup has worked well and is surprisingly stable for my beast of a bike.  It’s 50lbs but I remove the battery to be under 40lbs. 

For me this setup works great.  I am able to hoist it up on to the rack as I’m 6ft5in tall with good shoulder strength.  It would be tough for someone smaller and likely would need something to step up on.

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• Moderators

@Katjo shared this possible solution some time back. Not sure if she ever tried it,  or not, with her folding bikes.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.