Options for Getting More Wattage during Shore Power

I'm interested in getting a Ninja Electric Smoker...It pulls almost 1800 watts.  Looking at the manual for our 2017 Elite II, there is a single 15 amp line that runs the microwave and all AC outlets...looks like the line is only 14 gage.

I'm concerned about damaging the electrical line or breaker and was wondering if anyone has used one of these 30 splitters when camping?  Thought about hooking the smoker directly up and bypassing using an electrical outlet on our OEII.

Amazon.com: RVGUARD RV Y Adapter Cord with Handle 30 Amp TT-30 Male Plug to Two 30 Amp TT-30 Female, Green : Automotive

Sharkninja Progressive Web App (ninjakitchen.com)

Thanks!

harlan

Harlan & Margie

2017 Oliver Elite II Hull#235, 2006 F250 Tow Vehicle

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

One disadvantage of using an adapter like this the direct connection to your smoker will not properly protect it (the cord or unit) as well with a 30amp breaker vs 15/20amp unit. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea. 

I’m curious what the voltage difference would be inside the trailer using the adapter. Will there be a voltage drop in the camper because of the adapter, especially if something like the AC or Microwave is used?  Or will the voltage remain higher in the trailer when the smoker/adapter is being used because the shore power cord is not being stressed as much?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Going Coastal said:

looks like the line is only 14 gage.

Although all of my 2020 OLEll outlets are wired with 12 gauge wire and 20A breakers, I would still be hesitant to use the Oliver’s exterior outlet for that particular Ninja. I think best to just utilize one of the remaining outlets at the shore power post, separate from the one supplying power to your RV. Either a 30A and/or 50A male to 20A female dogbone cord adaptor would suffice, plus an appropriately sized extension cord (10 gauge) would be my recommendation. As you know, some CGs provide only 30A in loops for smaller trailers, whereas others will have both a 30A and 50A, or only 50A for loops servicing larger rigs. Even in the case when only a single RV service (30/50) is provided, there is usually a 110 outlet/breaker available, as well, that may or may not be sufficient to meet your stated needs. Personally, I’m more concerned about being able to hookup the 30A RV service cord to household current, as thus carry a locking 30A female to 20A female reducer, in addition to a 50A to 30A reducer, a 20A male to 30A female dogbone cord adaptor, and a variety of extension cords.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

On 12/25/2023 at 11:48 AM, Going Coastal said:

I'm interested in getting a Ninja Electric Smoker...It pulls almost 1800 watts.

I can think of only one way to do so that does not badly mess with or put the existing panel and electrical system in jeopardy.  The below only works well if you have a 30 amp shore power source.  Just be aware that doing so will greatly reduce your power flexibility inside Ollie as a result.  

Purchase a small panel with a 30-amp main breaker and add two 20-amp breakers for distribution.  Locate it adjacent to the Furion Power Port on the side of your Ollie.

• From one of the new 20-amp breakers, connect the output to the existing 30 amp wire going to the existing 30 amp breaker in the OEM panel.  NOTE:  Doing so has power flexibility disadvantages as stated above.
  • The existing Ollie outside power outlets are pretty much daisy chained.  To figure out which one is at the end of the line is pretty easy from the circuit diagram that came with your year of Ollie.  Now run a new 12 AWG Copper Line (White, Black and Ground) to the end of line outside outlet (See Below).  Connect to the end of line outlet.  Make safe the original feed for later reuse should you determine down the road that the cooker was not THAT important, or simply want to restore the Ollie to Factory Condition.

The specific electrical cord I would use is called SOOW.  The SOOW cord is a heavy-duty portable cord used in many rough duty applications.  Since running it across Ollie at this point likely will result in the cable not being properly supported along it’s way.  Using SOOW with a rubber casing will go a long way in ensuring that it remains serviceable for many years.  It is also water and weather proof, just in case you flood your basement.

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

9 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Although all of my 2020 OLEll outlets are wired with 12 gauge wire and 20A breakers,

Our 2018 and older Ollies have the below breaker info.  I am not sure where the outlets are loaded, but suspect either circuit 4 or 5, and they are 15 amps rated.  Even if it was tied to circuit 3, it would not be possible to pull the needed power (1800 watts) plus the Fridge and Water Heater.

GJ

image.png.9c480deb9a866fe728598b16e809afc4.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

38 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

breaker info. 

This is a view of my panel. However, I had enough room in it for two additional 20A breakers (seen unlabeled at the bottom of the row), which are pre-wired and ready for use by way of a single individual 20A outlet for each; think future electrical expansion projects! 

IMG_4532.thumb.jpeg.fbc245e921a6c9c1140bf4247429187f.jpeg

The two plugs to the right are connected to the inverter, the left two are the single 20A outlets in waiting. I needed an extra plug from the inverter for a transfer switch I installed to enable operation of the A/C on the house batteries. 

IMG_4805.thumb.jpeg.290ad95ba9bbacfca2635f08cb7aa237.jpeg

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

Don't most campsites have 3 connections? A 50A, a 30A plus a standard 120V 15A household outlet. Not sure you need any splitter to wire this cooker to the shore power pedestal. This is what I've generally seen where we have camped.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Just now, jd1923 said:

Don't most campsites have 3 connections? A 50A, a 30A plus a standard 120V 15A household outlet.

That has been our experience. 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 12/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, Ronbrink said:

This is a view of my panel. However, I had enough room in it for two additional 20A breakers (seen unlabeled at the bottom of the row), which are pre-wired and ready for use by way of a single individual 20A outlet for each; think future electrical expansion projects! 

IMG_4532.thumb.jpeg.fbc245e921a6c9c1140bf4247429187f.jpeg

The two plugs to the right are connected to the inverter, the left two are the single 20A outlets in waiting. I needed an extra plug from the inverter for a transfer switch I installed to enable operation of the A/C on the house batteries. 

On 12/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, Ronbrink said:

This is a view of my panel. However, I had enough room in it for two additional 20A breakers (seen unlabeled at the bottom of the row), which are pre-wired and ready for use by way of a single individual 20A outlet for each; think future electrical expansion projects

WOW.   Nice to know that for 2020 OTT upgraded the panels.  Not only more breaker space, but extra breakers too, and 20 amp to boot! But for our 2018 and

But for Going Costal (2019 OE2 ) and our (2018 OE2) we are stuck with no spares and some 15 amp breakers with 14 AWG. Wonder if our PD's can be upgraded to your version?

Thanks for sharing.  Good info to know.

GJ 

• Like 3