When to replace 2019 Elite II tires?

ScentFreeInSC

We have a 2019 elite II and are going to go to the mothership for a big tuneup.  While the tires seem to look good, we do keep covers on them most of the time and they have less than 20k miles on them I am wondering if we should add that to the list of things to take care of.  My guess is we have 1-2 good years left in them but not sure if others have seem them having issues earlier then i would expect.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

LEII Hull #517    |   Lincoln Navigator Reserve with Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package and owner installed OEM rear "splash guards" (aka mud flaps)  - "The Beast"

visited-united-states-map.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

As far as I know and have read - the current "life" of a RV tire ranges from 5 to 10 years.  You should look at the date code on each tire in order to determine the exact age of those on your Ollie but it is likely that they will be in the 5 year old range.  As such and if they have been taken care of - cleaned, proper inflation, sun protection etc. over their life, it is likely that you still have a couple of years left before they should be replaced.  If you have ANY doubts - take them to a respected tire dealer and have them inspected.

Having said all of this - I'm reminded of the advice I received way back when I was a relatively new motorcycle rider, "your tires are relatively cheap insurance and are the only thing that is connecting you to the road.  Don't use worn out tires (age or tread wear) and buy good quality tires."

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I replaced my original tires (BF Goodrich) somewhere between 5 and 6 years.  There was lots of tread left but they were starting to show some small cracking close to the wheels.  They probably had about 60K miles on them.  I used Discount Tire.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We routinely replace trailer tires at five years. 

Maybe a waste, maybe good insurance. 

We run st tires.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Topgun2 referred to the "date code" on each tire.  Each tire will have a 4 digit number you can find on the sidewall.  The first two numbers will be the week of the year and the last two will be the year.  So, a "3222" code will tell you the tire was manufactured in the 32nd week of 2022.

LT tires may show wear on the treads to indicate degradation, but ST tires treads can appear robust even after many, many miles, hiding the fact that they are "tired" and worn out.  Failure to maintain proper inflation and loading within limits are the things that risk failure.  An under inflated tire will result in excessive flexing of the sidewall as it rotates down to the bottom and bulges before swinging around the rest of the revolution.  This repetitive motion may cause internal friction in the sidewall and overheating, leading to failure. Using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is a great way to avoid this.

The Wonder Egg gets new shoes whenever they are 6 years old.

• Like 4

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

On 12/28/2023 at 7:48 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I replaced my original tires (BF Goodrich) somewhere between 5 and 6 years.  There was lots of tread left but they were starting to show some small cracking close to the wheels.  They probably had about 60K miles on them.  I used Discount Tire.  Mike

And 20K vs. 60K miles is a big difference. You certainly have ample time at near 5 years with relatively low miles. My advice is the same advice Mike already gave, but I'll say it another way.

Don't buy tires from OTT, as they are a long way from a Rocky Mountain trip, down to Key West, up to Maine, or wherever you will travel. Discount Tires is likely the largest national tire chain in business today. Buy from them when the time is right (I stick to 7 years max) and whenever you need to check pressure or add air, fix a flat, replace a tire or leaky valve stem, or just to rotate and balance, they will be nearby at no charge for many of these service needs. You may pay a little extra up front for this national service coverage, but it could save you later.

They are everywhere and generally have very large parking lots and driveways, easy to pull into with a trailer (except for their store up here in Prescott, AZ!) The fact that they have a store up here, in a small town in the mountains says a lot too.

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 12/28/2023 at 11:06 AM, topgun2 said:

As far as I know and have read - the current "life" of a RV tire ranges from 5 to 10 years.  You should look at the date code on each tire in order to determine the exact age of those on your Ollie but it is likely that they will be in the 5 year old range.  As such and if they have been taken care of - cleaned, proper inflation, sun protection etc. over their life, it is likely that you still have a couple of years left before they should be replaced.  If you have ANY doubts - take them to a respected tire dealer and have them inspected.

Having said all of this - I'm reminded of the advice I received way back when I was a relatively new motorcycle rider, "your tires are relatively cheap insurance and are the only thing that is connecting you to the road.  Don't use worn out tires (age or tread wear) and buy good quality tires."

Bill

Uggh.  Especially on a motorcycle where spontaneous eruptions will leave road rash for days.

• Like 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

And don't forget to have them check the spare as well.  Even though it is unused, in case of a flat, it could leave you hobbling to a tire shop with three tires and a prayer.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.