Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 08/23/2017 in all areas

  1. That is very elegant, much nicer than the 12 inch bungee cord I use. John Davies Spokane WA
    1 point
  2. Sorry for my delay in reporting on the Solo Bonfire. I have used it and love it. I won't post photos/videos because the Solo Stove website provides much better ones than I can provide. I can confirm that it performs as advertised. First, there is very little smoke, even when you don't have the best dry firewood. Second, the fire has a different appearance and is mesmerizing. I think it's because of constant air circulation in the bonfire. Third, you enjoy more heat from the Bonfire than from just burning wood in a ring or a firepit. The only disadvantage is that you can only view the fire from above the Bonfire. The company recommends that you keep the wood sized so the wood is completely contained within the device. You don't get the same full view of a fire that you may be used to. I spent three nights last weekend in parks that allowed fires. One was a State Park near Clear Lake, IA and the other was a KOA in the Twin Cities, MN where I was visiting to hear live jazz. It was cool enough at night to avoid using the A/C but the number of fires in the campgrounds made it very unpleasant with the windows open and the Maxi-Fan running. I prefer boondocking where I can avoid this. I've read that some campgrounds are establishing no fire zones. I think that's a good idea because of the amount of smoke produced by campfires at almost every campsite.
    1 point
  3. After sitting at above 10 K feet elevation for well over 100 days, our black water reading became suspect from time to time. We restored accuracy by waiting till the black tank was nearly full, to empty it, then immediately refilling with rinse water. The factory installed rinse/flush system is probably the best solution. When we left to travel to the next job in North Dakota, we added a bag of ICE to scrub the inside of the tank, which restored the accuracy by a better cleaning than a simple rinse. Our volt meter has never been extremely accurate, but it has also never totaly wrong. It's not a precision instrument, but instead is intended to give us a general look at the battery condition. Our solar panels kept the battery voltage in the neighborhood of 13.2 daytime, and at night down to 12.2 . The fresh water tank sending unit has never read 100%, though we know that it is full because of the overflow. On the bottom end it will start to suck air at about 8%. I guess that for us, the bottom line is, that we understand that the readings are a best, a rough estimate of our consumption or replenishment. That gives us a "heads up" to start thinking about a place to dump or to refill.
    1 point
  • Recent Achievements

    • StayCalmJourneyOn earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • ccevans6 earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • BluegrassRetiredChick earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • BluegrassRetiredChick earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • ERIC B earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • joman earned a badge
      One Year In
    • KJSmith earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • KJSmith earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • KJSmith earned a badge
      One Year In
    • carpenter went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Powderkeg11 earned a badge
      One Year In
    • annasteve earned a badge
      First Post
    • CB1735 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      One Year In
    • annasteve earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • Gene G. earned a badge
      One Year In
    • CB1735 earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • annasteve earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information