Loose Dometic stove burner

I have a 2022 Oliver Trailer with a Dometic Stove D21 installed. One of the burners is loose and there are no screws attaching it to the stove. I do not know if screws ever existed or if the screws fell out & down. If screws once existed there are likely in the underside pan cover space. I have not tried to take the stove apart. (Photo attached)

I will check when I purchased the Oliver and the stove in 2022 when home so I am unsure whether the stove is under the 24 month warranty or not.

However, if one were to attempt to repair (reinstall the two screws) is this accomplished by remove the top stove from the top of the  counter OR dropping the stove "under pan" below the stove and behind the drawers.

Depending on which repair option is correct any information on how to conduct the repair process.

Thanks

20240417_104716.jpg

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I don’t know but it looks like the two screws came up from the underside, went through the piece with the igniter, and threaded into the top cover. Are the two bosses in the top cover threaded? Can you look from underneath at the other good burner and see if there’s two screws going up into the top cover? Could that burner never been assembled completely from the start?

• Like 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

We also had this issue while up in northern Canada last summer.  We believe it was a problem for a couple of years, we just were not aware of it until it was loose enough to start coming apart.  When we returned home I got ahold of Dometic and received the following email reply.

=====================
From: CustomerSupportCenter [mailto:customersupportcenter@dometic.com]
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2023 9:46 AM
To: BryanB
Subject: RE: Dometic.com Support Form - US - productsupport - rv - b2c

Hello Mr. Bjornstad:

I was able to reach out to our engineering department.

The engineer indicated the information directly below:

“the bolts used to secure the burner caps are common M3x24mm socket head screws.  They can be found at most hardware stores.  
He should apply blue Loctite to the screws before putting them in.”  

=====================

Yes, there are threads in the underside of the burner caps. 
The burner cap is made of 'pot metal' so if the screws are not of the exact sizing and ARE NOT 'Loctite-d' in, they may vibrate out again or worse yet, they may strip (as ours did) out of the soft pot metal burner cap. 
There was no indication (blue) of there being any Loctite around our screw heads when we were taking it apart to repair it.  So the Loctite comment above may be a revision based upon customer experience.
The following is what we did to fix the issue.  We only had one screw per element and no Loctite at the time so we were at a less than ideal situation.  

• turn off the gas at the tanks,
  • remove the stove from the countertop,
  • disco your gas fitting,
  • turn stove upside-down and, make a note of the 'ignition wiring' if you have to disco more than one of them, 
  • remove the underside heat shield,  (you have to cut the zip ties to remove it, replace zip ties to reduce vibration on re-install),
  • re-insert the screws,
  • apply Loctite where the screw head comes in contact with the assembly,
  • then re-install the stove ‘Check Gas fitting for leakage’.  

We actually became quite proficient at this and I would be able to do it (less Loctite) as Maggie was doing 'meal prep', so I was done when she needed the stove.  That is until the loosening of the screws and vibrating caused the 'burner tube' coming into the mixing bowl to break.  At that point the stove was UNSAFE to use.  So I put it in the back of the truck, got a brass plug for the gas supply line and covered the area with the 'Oliver supplied' sink cover, and taped that down.  That gave us a larger meal prep area, and more outside cooking.

Our final resolution when we returned home (because stove was basically shaken apart) was to replace our D21 (AMZN Dometic outlet), because we were unable to find the replacement parts that broke as a result of the ‘burner caps’ coming loose, and shaking/breaking apart the internals of the stove.  When the new stove arrived, I took it apart at the bottom and made sure all 4 screws were there and sure enough, signs of blue Loctite on the screw heads.

I have discussed using Red (hi-heat) Loctite thru PM's with others on the forum.  
The caveat is 'if you want it to stay put, Red would not hurt, if you have need to get in there and remove those screws and do other work, Blue would be better'...  So I will stick with the Blue for now, as I do not believe that the original stove had any Blue on it.  In fact, I do not believe we had two screws in each burner cap to start with. Never did find the two missing screws and I searched the entire enclosure and behind the false back of the drawer area.

We can now look back at it as a learning adventure.  Yah, may not take as many 'wash-boardy' roads less travelled, and will probably even go slower than we did...  We learned a lot about the Oliver, Appliances (lost the WH too), about repair in remote locations, phone conversations with SeaDawg & Outlaw Oliver, and our own tolerances to experiences when dealing with and overcoming unexpected issues that arise,  but GAWD, did we enjoy the adventure even with the adversities.  

So much so, WE ARE GOING BACK again this camping season, with the intent to make it to AK this time.  Cannot wait to try (after a local shake-down weekend) our new Dometic stove and WH (another thread)... the adventure continues.

B~Out,

First edit, if others end up purchasing a new Dometic D21 Stove... the Brass elbow attached to the stove is now pointed 180 deg. opposite the supply line.  So I just disco'd it, put on some YELLOW Teflon tape and then tightened it up to the orientation of the old one, and hooked the gas line back up. 

Second edit,  Some of your appliances are going to have 'Metric' in them, especially if they are used outside the US.  Just be Aware.

Third edit with pics: once you have the stove exposed, you remove the heat shield screws (sm. red circles), notice wht. zip ties.. 
Your burner cap screws pass thru here (black arrows).   
The large red circle is the broken supply tube between control knob & mixing bowl.  I tried to get some aluminum tubing to repair it. 
Even thought of sacrificing the stem to the coffee pot... I was told, that was NOT an option.  

4)undersideofstove12vdccomingin..jpeg.79ea61d199dd8b4e33a78f44d289b461.jpeg8)afterheatshieldremoved.jpeg.f146698fa58116135949f641b71669a2.jpeg

Edited by SNY SD UP
Re-iterated YELLOW TEFLON TAPE
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, SNY SD UP said:

We also had this issue while up in northern Canada last summer.  We believe it was a problem for a couple of years, we just were not aware of it until it was loose enough to start coming apart.  When we returned home I got ahold of Dometic and received the following email reply.

=====================
From: CustomerSupportCenter [mailto:customersupportcenter@dometic.com]
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2023 9:46 AM
To: BryanB
Subject: RE: Dometic.com Support Form - US - productsupport - rv - b2c

Hello Mr. Bjornstad:

I was able to reach out to our engineering department.

The engineer indicated the information directly below:

“the bolts used to secure the burner caps are common M3x24mm socket head screws.  They can be found at most hardware stores.  
He should apply blue Loctite to the screws before putting them in.”  

=====================

Yes, there are threads in the underside of the burner caps. 
The burner cap is made of 'pot metal' so if the screws are not of the exact sizing and ARE NOT 'Loctite-d' in, they may vibrate out again or worse yet, they may strip (as ours did) out of the soft pot metal burner cap. 
There was no indication (blue) of there being any Loctite around our screw heads when we were taking it apart to repair it.  So the Loctite comment above may be a revision based upon customer experience.
The following is what we did to fix the issue.  We only had one screw per element and no Loctite at the time so we were at a less than ideal situation.  

• turn off the gas at the tanks,
  • remove the stove from the countertop,
  • disco your gas fitting,
  • turn stove upside-down and, make a note of the 'ignition wiring' if you have to disco more than one of them, 
  • remove the underside heat shield,  (you have to cut the zip ties to remove it, replace zip ties to reduce vibration on re-install),
  • re-insert the screws,
  • apply Loctite where the screw head comes in contact with the assembly,
  • then re-install the stove ‘Check Gas fitting for leakage’.  

We actually became quite proficient at this and I would be able to do it (less Loctite) as Maggie was doing 'meal prep', so I was done when she needed the stove.  That is until the loosening of the screws and vibrating caused the 'burner tube' coming into the mixing bowl to break.  At that point the stove was UNSAFE to use.  So I put it in the back of the truck, got a brass plug for the gas supply line and covered the area with the 'Oliver supplied' sink cover, and taped that down.  That gave us a larger meal prep area, and more outside cooking.

Our final resolution when we returned home (because stove was basically shaken apart) was to replace our D21 (AMZN Dometic outlet), because we were unable to find the replacement parts that broke as a result of the ‘burner caps’ coming loose, and shaking/breaking apart the internals of the stove.  When the new stove arrived, I took it apart at the bottom and made sure all 4 screws were there and sure enough, signs of blue Loctite on the screw heads.

I have discussed using Red (hi-heat) Loctite thru PM's with others on the forum.  
The caveat is 'if you want it to stay put, Red would not hurt, if you have need to get in there and remove those screws and do other work, Blue would be better'...  So I will stick with the Blue for now, as I do not believe that the original stove had any Blue on it.  In fact, I do not believe we had two screws in each burner cap to start with. Never did find the two missing screws and I searched the entire enclosure and behind the false back of the drawer area.

We can now look back at it as a learning adventure.  Yah, may not take as many 'wash-boardy' roads less travelled, and will probably even go slower than we did...  We learned a lot about the Oliver, Appliances (lost the WH too), about repair in remote locations, phone conversations with SeaDawg & Outlaw Oliver, and our own tolerances to experiences when dealing with and overcoming unexpected issues that arise,  but GAWD, did we enjoy the adventure even with the adversities.  

So much so, WE ARE GOING BACK again this camping season, with the intent to make it to AK this time.  Cannot wait to try (after a local shake-down weekend) our new Dometic stove and WH (another thread)... the adventure continues.

B~Out,

First edit, if others end up purchasing a new Dometic D21 Stove... the Brass elbow attached to the stove is now pointed 180 deg. opposite the supply line.  So I just disco'd it, put on some YELLOW Teflon tape and then tightened it up to the orientation of the old one, and hooked the gas line back up. 

Second edit,  Some of your appliances are going to have 'Metric' in them, especially if they are used outside the US.  Just be Aware.

Third edit with pics: once you have the stove exposed, you remove the heat shield screws (sm. red circles), notice wht. zip ties.. 
Your burner cap screws pass thru here (black arrows).   
The large red circle is the broken supply tube between control knob & mixing bowl.  I tried to get some aluminum tubing to repair it. 
Even thought of sacrificing the stem to the coffee pot... I was told, that was NOT an option.  

4)undersideofstove12vdccomingin..jpeg.79ea61d199dd8b4e33a78f44d289b461.jpeg8)afterheatshieldremoved.jpeg.f146698fa58116135949f641b71669a2.jpeg

Thanks for the walkthrough.  Both screws from underside one burner came out...very fortunate Wendy found them both and we were able to use your help to fix everything.  I did have to disconnect the gas line and after using gas thread tape and follow up with a "sniffer" all turned out well.  We did use blue locktite on the screws.  No evidence of previous locktite application  Thanks,

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Hello, 

This also happened to Carrie and I several months ago. I took the stove out and I was not able to locate the screws. I just drilled through the aluminum disk and used a bolt with a nut. Definitely shouldn't come out again. 

Kirk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

18 hours ago, snakeriveridaho said:

I just drilled through the aluminum disk and used a bolt with a nut.

Good one - nice fix!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On 4/30/2024 at 2:19 PM, johnwen said:

Thanks for the walkthrough.  Both screws from underside one burner came out...very fortunate Wendy found them both and we were able to use your help to fix everything.  I did have to disconnect the gas line and after using gas thread tape and follow up with a "sniffer" all turned out well.  We did use blue locktite on the screws.  No evidence of previous locktite application  Thanks,

John

Follow up... the propane sensor went off this AM and turns out the gas line connection came a little loose when I reinstalled the top.  Turned off the propane bottle and headed to Ace hardware.  I initially used tape that qualified, according to the label, as suitable for gas line connections.  It was gray in color.  I didn't have the yellow that I have always used before.  Took back apart this afternoon and replaced with the proper yellow tape.  All is well for now...according to my sniffer.

John

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/