Problem with 12 volt circuit - some lights are very dimmed

Hi, I am in the process of replacing the touch lights in my unit (4 out of 5 failled) and I am encountering a problem with the circuit that controls the touch lights, reading lamps, bathroom and closet, they all work but they are extremely dimmed.  My unit has the 2 lithionics batteries and the currently show 13.4 V, however when I test the power at the touch light I am only obtaining 11.8 V 

All the other 12 v system seems to be working just fine, main cabin lights, jacks…

Hence any assistance in figuring out this problem would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards and thank you in advance for your responses. 

Serge

Hull 864

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Chances are pretty good that you have a loose ground wire somewhere in your system. 

I'd start at one end and tighten every ground wire I could find.

If that doesn't do it then I'd recheck all connections - also paying particular attention to the negative/ground side of things but, since you are there, you might as well check the positive side at the same time.

Good luck!

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

@serge

If the suggestions of @topgun2 don’t seem to correct your issue consider submitting a work ticket to Oliver. They may have additional trouble shooting info to help you isolate the problem. Someone else might chime in that has had a similar experience. You may even want to call Oliver Monday morning.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

I understand touch lights were added at some point. Our older hull does not have them and I'm happy for that. Is every light a touch-light? Do you have lighting switch panels to turn on/off Main Lights, Kitchen Lights, Courtesy Lights, etc.?

If so, I would remove all the switch lights for standard hardwired lights. Switch lights gives you a point-of-failure at every light location.

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

10 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I would remove all the switch lights for standard hardwired lights.

Concur, 100%, John!

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

In my 2022 there are no light switches. The 'touch lights' are all tap on/off, and the 'reading lights' are turned on/off by pressing into the lens. I'm following this thread because a couple of my touch lights are flickering at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

10 hours ago, jd1923 said:

<snip>

Switch lights give you a point-of-failure at every light location.

I am old enough to remember strings of Christmas lights that were wired in series, and changing each bulb in an effort to find the one that burned out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

In my 2022 there are no light switches. The 'touch lights' are all tap on/off, and the 'reading lights' are turned on/off by pressing into the lens. I'm following this thread because a couple of my touch lights are flickering at this point. 

Ya might as well plan now for the day when you replace those lights with regular "switchable" ones.

If you are coming to the Rally, be sure to look up Patriot. He can give you the details on the ...... switch.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

If you are coming to the Rally

Sadly, I won't be at the Rally this year. But I'll watch here on the forum for threads to this.

Happily, I'm already on the road -- enjoying the glorious wildflowers of Texas! 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

Issue resolved, after testing grounds, switches, etc. turn out that the issue was with the fuse… although it was burned the Led indicator beside the fuse was not lighted, the light indicator only turn on if when one of the reading lamp was turned on and the fuse removed.  Furthermore there is still some power circulating in the system with the fuse removed.  Pretty awkward, but with the fuse replaced all returned to normal and was able to install new lights to replace the original touch light. 

Thanks again for the guidance and assistance.

Safe travel. 

Serge

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I'm following this thread because a couple of my touch lights are flickering at this point. 

I’ve had four touch lights, one of which in center ceiling, that either flickered or would not come on or go off. Upon removing the cover, a simple cleaning of dust within and adjustment of the spring (in center fixture) solved the problem. Also, I find that a ‘gentle touch’ of back of hand rather than a ‘hand bump’ is best for operation. Thinking maybe the ‘bump’ method is causing the spring to move out of optimum position. 

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Thinking maybe the ‘bump’ method is causing the spring to move out of optimum position. 

Fight Boxing GIF by Harlem Globetrotters

• Haha 3

Near Asheville, NC

2 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

a ‘gentle touch’ of back of hand rather than a ‘hand bump’

I use a finger to tap it, but I'll definitely check them for dust and the spring alignment -- thanks!!

• Like 1