Dometic AC Shroud Trashed

Had the trailer in for yearly service, which included Dometic A/C service.

At a campground a couple days later a gust of wind blew the cover off and cracked on the ground. 

The two rear shroud screws were missing , the front ones in place but broken out. 

I did a basic repair with white epoxy and the added 6 new self tapping screws around the perimeter.

I’ve asked if service would ship me one of the used covers from their pile.  If not I’ll go find the part online.

IMG_7484.thumb.jpeg.263fc2fc2a240b4e419b1ace0b78d257.jpegIMG_7483.thumb.jpeg.11142001d77d566891a0fc37ce66eec6.jpeg

craig

Hull 505 - Galway Girl

• Wow 3
  • Sad 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
43 minutes ago, Galway Girl said:

I’ve asked if service would ship me one of the used covers from their pile.

I'm positive that the Service guys will do everything in their power to get that used cover to you.  Nice job on the temp repair.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

I had a screw fall out of my Dometic AC cover.  Couldn’t find a replacement locally.  Called Dometic and they sent me 5 screws.  No charge.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Using a u-nut can re-establish structural integrity.

I found that repeated cover removal/installs by folks with power tools stripped the cover holes to the point the screws would fall out. The u-nut worked my my situation....they come in various sizes and materials.

I no longer have a Dometic AC (Truma now) but if I did I would install u-nuts as a preventative measure.

Steve

image.png.61a95a4651dc426fc626fa24a31310d8.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Since you just had it in for service, you know cause. I believe there are 4 short screws with shoulders so to provide spacing to not damage the cover. Power tools OK to remove quickly, but these must be installed by hand. Reason why I rarely contract maintenance work. “If it needs to be done right…”

Amazing the cover did not break into pieces. I’d say the service co owes you a new cover installed. Such a shame since AC service on these units really comes down to compressed air or a hose rinse on the condenser coils. Not much more can be done on a factory sealed AC unit. Towing your Oliver in a good rain storm will do about the same thing. 

Edited by jd1923
Added 2nd paragraph
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 5/3/2024 at 12:12 PM, Galway Girl said:

Had the trailer in for yearly service, which included Dometic A/C service.

At a campground a couple days later a gust of wind blew the cover off and cracked on the ground. The two rear shroud screws were missing , the front ones in place but broken out. I did a basic repair with white epoxy and the added 6 new self tapping screws around the perimeter.

A few years back, another owner was concerned as well. I suggested using Rivet Nuts and SS bolts with fender washers to increase the contact area.  Would work better than STS's.  

Sorry for the pain this service tech caused you.  

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg