AC upgrade conundrum

I had written Kevin at SDG a question re the fan modes on the Atmos. He did not answer after being responsive before. Resent the message this morning, was hoping to get written reply I could share but he called me instead.

Bottom line, the Atmos runs the fan like the Houghton, meaning whether in cooling or heat pump (all) modes, the fan is always running. Then said he had no feedback on humidity build-up, but the opposite as compared to Dometic and other products. Said because condensate is not collected, but released on the roof, humidity is not created. I would say take his last comment as sales speak!

I replied that I was less worried about humidity living in the SW but did not want an AC unit to run all night for no good reason. I don't want to hear it, even a quiet fan, no interest here in white noise! Also, why run the fan all night as a drain on the battery when not needed. We know the furnace fan uses a bit of AHs. 

There were comments on the Sprinter forum re the heat pump would come on when it got cold later overnight. One mentioned having only one set temp for heating and cooling. Others wrote that didn't make sense, but there was no conclusion. Kevin mentioned the heat pump coming on too. I forgot to ask about two set temps, like for example set at 75 for cooling and 65 degrees for heating. In between these numbers and I want the HVAC system off, no sound, no current usage! It appears regardless of a Houghton, Atmos or other choices, a relay must be installed to turn fan off with compressor may be needed for some. The only good thing about the Dometic Penguin is that in AUTO the fan will stop at set temp. The other option is to click the remote to OFF position at some point when in bed at night.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
20 hours ago, jd1923 said:

The only good thing about the Dometic Penguin is that in AUTO the fan will stop at set temp.

You have made reference to this before. I’ve always heard the AUTO setting is for running the heater, not the AC; at least for later model Olivers. 

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

2 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

You have made reference to this before. I’ve always heard the AUTO setting is for running the heater, not the AC; at least for later model Olivers. 

I believe we have a replacement thermostat, not the original, though I do not know the Dometic model names or numbers. Check the picture. It's set on AUTO and has the snowflake meaning the AC is on. This mode will switch the fan to off when the compressor is off. On this thermostat the AC can be set on at low-high-auto fan settings, there is a separate furnace setting and I believe a heat-strip setting on the thermostat that is not applicable to our unit (or something we've never used). I have it set at 84 and it runs most of the time during the afternoons in the hot AZ sun (it would get to mid 90s in there without it) and will turn off after sunset for the night. When I'm working in there, I drop the temp a few degrees, AND I HAVE TO TURN THE VOLUME UP ON THE RADIO TO HEAR IT!!! 🤣

RUUVi Thermostat.jpg

• Haha 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 6/19/2024 at 8:22 AM, rideadeuce said:

It's like my sealed transmission in the Tundra just not worth the effort if it goes bad, just replace it with another sealed unit IMO and Toyotas.

I would bet that the vast majority of the 415,800 HVAC tech's would not support automatic replacement of an broke HVAC unit.  I would also bet that the the few who agree are likely sales staff......   🙂

GJ

how many AC repair techs are in USA

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of technicians employed in the heating and refrigeration sector in the US rose between 2021 and 2022. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 415,800 heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration mechanics and installers were employed in the US in 2022.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

17 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I believe we have a replacement thermostat, not the original, though I do not know the Dometic model names or numbers. Check the picture. It's set on AUTO and has the snowflake meaning the AC is on. This mode will switch the fan to off when the compressor is off.

My thermostat looks exactly like yours. I referenced the Dometic Operating Instructions for the thermostat and confirmed your assessment on use of the air conditioner set on AUTO spot on, thanks for the enlightenment! I now know the AUTO setting can be used for both heating AND cooling. See attached.

IMG_6961.thumb.png.7855e1b700d39cf41c757abbf4fe93a0.png

IMG_6962.thumb.png.ba688243f17af6dc0b813b4d7f507d90.png

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

There is a new video on the Sprinter-Forum highlighting the Atmos 4.4 in a ‘non-ducted’ installation on a 2020 mini motorhome (make and model escape me). Unlike other videos posted in that forum, this one mimics more closely the perceived install in an Oliver IMO. 

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4