Broken leaf spring

jdmmtx

We have a broken leaf spring on our 2019 LEII on Gunflint Trail in Minnesota (not at all a convenient place for this to happen.) From what I’ve read the OEM is a 1750# 4-leaf spring…is it a Dexter? Does anyone happen to have a part number? I now know from experience and searching for info here it would’ve been a good idea to have a spare on hand.

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Thread here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/9996-made-in-usa-leaf-springs/&ved=2ahUKEwj7uaXMrKSHAxWUElkFHRtoA9wQFnoECCsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2TuWEqPQCoyqb1wVMIHpcR

One of the posts lists his replacement specs as:

"Made in USA with USA sourced 5160 spring steel

-Bronze eye bushings vs. plastic

-2,000lb rating/ea vs. 1,750 (will not change gvwr as axles/bearings remain determining factor)

-5 leaves vs, 4

-second leaf extends underneath eye on each end (protecting common break area)

-steel, bolted spring keepers (one each end) vs a single, sheet metal band

-width = 1.75"

-drop = 3”

-length (eye-to-eye) = 25.25”

The company I sourced them from is ALCAN."
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Here is the replacement spring info Oliver Service sent me for my 2021 E2.  They can be found on Amazon in pairs for $68. Note that the springs on Amazon appear to have nylon bushings rather than bronze, but they would serve to get you back on the road and home where you can figure out your final solution  

Please open a service ticket with Oliver so they are aware of the issue and can advise for your exact hull#  

IMG_9063.png

IMG_9064.png

Edited by Mountainman198
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

When installing bronze bushings in Ollie's spring eye, I coat the outside of the bushing and inside of the spring eye with castor oil to help the soft bronze slide into the spring eye easier, attempting to prevent damage to the soft bronze bushing.

The last bronze bushings I installed used a piece of threaded rod from a local Lowes with flat washers and nuts.

IMG_7178-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 6

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

@jdmmtx ; If you're still in need of replacement leaf springs, you're welcome to have my OEM 4-leaf springs - no longer needed because we replaced them last April using the Alcan 5-leaf spring packs that @Steph and Dud B mentioned above.

Shoot me a PM with a shipping address and cover the shipping costs...  You can have 1 or all 4 of the springs.  They are in serviceable condition.

Cheers,

Art

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Hey guys.  I tried trudging through some of the 8 pages on the Alcan leaf spring thread listed above.  Wow, that was a long thread.  But I did not see mention of an actual part number to reference for the Alcan.  Did I miss it or do they go off the basic specs of the springs that @Geronimo John mentioned in his attached document (very handy, thank you).

EDIT:  Ah I see, it's a super small business, so likely no specific part number, and just give them the specs.

Thanks.

Chris

Edited by Wayfinder
  • Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

2 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Hey guys.  I tried trudging through some of the 8 pages on the Alcan leaf spring thread listed above.  Wow, that was a long thread.  But I did not see mention of an actual part number to reference for the Alcan.  Did I miss it or do they go off the basic specs of the springs that @Geronimo John mentioned in his attached document (very handy, thank you).

EDIT:  Ah I see, it's a super small business, so likely no specific part number, and just give them the specs.

Thanks.

Chris

There is no part number.

When you call, ask for Lew or Mike and tell them you have a Oliver Elite II(this way they can make sure the centering pin is set up for our spring under axle configuration).

According to Alcan, their springs are rated at 2,750 lb/ea. While most of us who have installed them notice very little incremental stiffness, you should be aware of this going into the purchase. 

If you order your new ubolts and nuts from them, make sure you know your axle diameter when you call so they send the correct ubolt size. 

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

On 7/13/2024 at 9:56 AM, jdmmtx said:

We have a broken leaf spring on our 2019 LEII on Gunflint Trail in Minnesota (not at all a convenient place for this to happen.) From what I’ve read the OEM is a 1750# 4-leaf spring…is it a Dexter? Does anyone happen to have a part number? I now know from experience and searching for info here it would’ve been a good idea to have a spare on hand.

I live in Duluth if you need a hand with anything! Happy to run up with some tools, beer, and/or moral support!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)