Rolling Through Canada

image.thumb.png.3ecb1c81400355fa739f0a1417888e8b.png

We have never RVed into Canada.  We have passports.

What do we need to know to roll through Canada?

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
3 hours ago, HDRider said:

What do we need to know to roll through Canada?

You might want to verify your insurance coverage, and driving license requirements. 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

7 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

driving license requirements

US driver’s licenses are valid for visitors in Canada.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Roof Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter), added 400W Renogy Solar suitcase with Victron MPPT 100/30 CC, Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Your passport gets you in, and back out. If you are traveling with pet(s), make sure vaccinations are up to date, and carry a copy of their record(s).

Don't carry weapons (or ammo) of any kind, as Canadian border patrol asks a lot of questions,  and weapons are very restricted.  Easier to leave them home.

Check the latest rules on foods you can bring in, and amount of wine/beer/alcohol.  (This is also true on re-entry to US.)

We've done the crossings many times, and only once been searched (I think the border patrol had never seen a trailer like ours.) But, be prepared to be honest, and stay within published limits. There are still "random" checks at times that can take awhile. Usually,  after a few questions,  you'll quickly be welcomed to Canada by professional and courteous border agents .

The folks around Montreal drive pretty fast, in my experience,  but quite safely. Don't miss Quebec City. Camp somewhere nearby, and spend at least a day. It's historic, beautiful,  and elegant. Like going to Europe for the day.

https://inspection.canada.ca/en/food-safety-consumers/bringing-food-canada-personal-use

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Effective 8/1/2024 there are new pet requirements. There are now documents that must be filled out by your vet. The problem isn't going into Canada, it is coming back into the US. The US will not allow your dog back into the US for twenty-five days without the required documents.

Review the documents and have your vet familiar with them.

Edited by John Dorrer
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

An update on the required documents. There is an online document you must submit, including attaching a photo of your dog. The documents must include the dates of travel and should be submitted just prior to your trip.

Then there is a document that must be filled out by your vet and you need to have that document when you cross back into the US. 

The document must include the micro-chip # and the rabies vaccination # and must have an ink signature by your vet.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

That's new. Thank you.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/u-s-border-dog-rules-new-1.7266031

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:31 PM, SeaDawg said:

Your passport gets you in, and back out. If you are traveling with pet(s), make sure vaccinations are up to date, and carry a copy of their record(s).

Don't carry weapons (or ammo) of any kind, as Canadian border patrol asks a lot of questions, and weapons are very restricted.  Easier to leave them home.

You lost me on these rules. Love to visit Canada, but not that much!

I longed to visit Calgary and the AB Rockies ever since the '88 Olympics. Chris wants to see Vancouver so we could leave the Oliver, the 2nd Amendment and our pup Charley for an afternoon, have a great seafood dinner, and then back to camp in WA State! Surprised they're not checking for our vaccinations anymore.

Charley is older and nobody in this house takes anything big pharma! 10x more regulations made in the last 25 years than the other 248 years of our great nation. Life would be more than great if regulators would get a real job.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

There's been a lot of blowback from Canada on the dog policy. I think it's being relaxed. We'll see.

Both our countries are low risk for rabies.

Vancouver is beautiful.  Camping on Vancouver Island is quite amazing.

We've always found our neighbors to the north to be very good campers.  We've enjoyed every trip. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Love camping in Canada.  With the exchange rate prices aren’t bad.  We’ve been from the west coast to “Lake of the Woods” near Kenora.  A lot of public parks have power as an option at your site which takes away the loathsome generator serenade.  Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan was not crowded and enjoyable.  Banff is Canada’s version of Disneyland but incredibly beautiful.  

I agree that most border crossing problems are coming back into the good ol USA but..  One story - during the tail end of the Vietnam War some friends and I were crossing at Vancouver to get over to Victoria and go camping.  We were only 18 or 19 and they were still worried about draft dodgers.  I could hear the other three being interviewed - swearing that they didn’t smoke or drink, etc.  I was last and the old guard wasn’t sure about us.  He asked me the same questions and I said that while I had smoked marijuana, I really preferred beer.  He smiled, said “Laddy, don’t we all”, and stamp, stamp, stamp we were in.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

image.jpeg.7fccb45a33615b2deaeeaeedc4bbbfcb.jpeg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

@HDRider, back to your questions.  Since it looks like you're just traveling through a bit of Quebec, do think about downloading French dictionary to  google translation app to your phone, so you can use it offline. You may not need it, as many in Quebec are bilingual, but it can be helpful in smaller towns, the further east you get from Montreal. 

Also, check your phone plans. We have several, now. Our tmobile plan gives us free data and text. My legacy verizon plan is $5 a day .  Newer plans are different.  I doubt my secondary carrier plan gives us anything.

I hope you spend at least a few nights in Quebec.  Much of it is very beautiful,  and you'll probably want to return, another day. Provincial parks in Canada are lovely,  and so are many of the private campgrounds.  Surprisingly, private campgrounds often can be less than provincial parks.

As in much of the US, you'll want to avoid going into city centers with TV and trailer behind. When we visited Quebec City, we parked "down the hill" in a public lot. I think we took a bus in, and walked back, but it's a long time ago. Today, I'd probably just use Uber or Lyft to get me into the beautiful old city.

If there us a tourist information center near your crossing point, stop and visit. Multilingual staff will share maps and insights.

Have a wonderful trip.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Camping on Vancouver Island is quite amazing.

Camping on Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia is also amazing -- or was when I was there tent camping back in 2012. 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

• Moderators

@Boudicca908, PEI is still on our list. As is Newfoundland and Labrador.

We loved rugged and beautiful Nova Scotia. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Posted (edited)

We have reconsidered our trek through that part of Canada.

The objective of this trip is visiting friends on Lake Ontario on the NY side.  We already have 12 stops planned over this 3,000 mile trip.  I did not see anything close to our route that prompted me to go through Canada.

All that said, we will do Canada soon, maybe next year, to see the things ya'll have mentioned.  This is our first big trip and that one will be a big one too, with our focus on Canada. 

I hope we can do another biggie this year to the Rockies. 

Ya'll pray for me and my wife.

Edited by HDRider
  • Like 2

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I think that's  a wise decision. It should allow you more time to explore the designated area. Save the Canadian prep for the Canada foray, another time.

Plenty to see on the south side of lake Ontario, and western New York.

We try to avoid i90 in NY State (The 90) . The tolls are ridiculous, pulling a trailer, since you have 4 axles. The 90 isn't that scenic, and it can be quite bumpy at times. From my brother-in-law's home near Rochester,  to my sister-in law near Buffalo, would run over $11, for about 75 miles travel. We take us20 instead. Plenty of other routes, more scenic, and slower.

Screenshot_20240723_150934_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 5 weeks later...

"Camping Le Joie" has shuttles that go into Old Quebec City.  Very convenient.  We were there in 2023.

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

We haven't been into Canada since before the pandemic. In addition to the information above, suggest checking into the current rules regarding transporting fresh fruits and vegetables or alcohol across the border.

In recent history it has been prohibited to transport firewood across the border, due to concerns over the migration of invasive species (like the emerald ash borer, spotted lanternfly, etc.). I am uncertain whether certified, kiln-dried firewood like that sold in many grocery stores is permitted or not.

Canada is a great destination to visit or camp. Enjoy your trip!

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2024-05-03OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8db75a0e11bba4f2fa20c9101af1ca0c.jpg