Rooftop AC Alternatives

Overland

Thanks John. Do you plan on doing something yourself with the condensate drain, or just letting it drip? Are you worried about staining over time if it drips?

No action, I do not expect to use it very often anyway. It is really just for those rare killer summer heat waves where it hurts to breath. Even if you go up to 6000 ft in the Idaho mountains, it can still be unbearably hot. Sometimes you just have to rent a parking spot and plug in... especially if you are stuck at low elevation or find yourself in the desert.

We visited California three years ago in early summer and it was 108 passing through the very northern part of CA on Hwy 97 from Klamath Falls. We certainly did not expect that level of heat, but we were not camping at the time. I'm sure that we would have plugged in an Ollie, had we been towing one, just for some relief.

I don't know how you guys living way south deal with it. I would melt.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Not having a heat pump wouldn't be the end of the world.  After thinking about it, that wouldn't be a dependable heat source for us anyway, since the outside temperature would probably be too low.  So electric heat is really our only choice to supplement the furnace.

Not having a heat pump wouldn’t be the end of the world. After thinking about it, that wouldn’t be a dependable heat source for us anyway, since the outside temperature would probably be too low. So electric heat is really our only choice to supplement the furnace.

According to the manual for the larger unit, heat pump operation is for outside temperatures above 45 degrees F.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/ac/MPD_15078_AC_IOM_DUCTED_%2012_03_2014_Rev_8.pdf

You could always install a small forced air electric wall heater to replace the furnace when you are powered up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-Com-Pak-1-000-Watt-120-Volt-Fan-Forced-In-Wall-Electric-Heater-in-White-CSC101TW/100078620

I really don't think you need to worry about propane consumption, from what I have heard here! I would worry about supplemental heat if and when propane use became an issue. However, an electric one of some kind would be great for winter storage if you do not have your trailer in a climate controlled shelter.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

That's pretty much where my thinking is now too.

Thanks for the info on the Atwood.  I'll ask Jason about it.  With the Dometic I could get a built in heat strip and a single thermostat, but that's probably a poor tradeoff against the quietness, durability and efficiency of the Atwood.  Plus I could run it with a 2k generator if needed without having to install a soft start.

I'll repost this comparison Powerpoint in case you haven't seen it already.

http://www.tvformyrv.com/content/AtwoodACPresentation2014.pdf

It's pretty compelling.

I also just found the complete Air Command service and repair manual! Woohoo!

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/AtwoodRoofACRepair.pdf

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 2 months later...
Why isn’t the Atwood an option?

It's a a $65 additional charge for the smaller Atwood Air Command (with no heat strip). Like a lot of the more commonly ordered mods (extra access/ inspection ports, for example) it won't likely appear on the factory option list until more buyers request one of the Atwood models.

It drips condensate down the outside of the hull, not via the Oliver belly drain. If you live in a humid climate, east of the Rockies, you might not want to deal with that nuisance, but in the arid states I think it won't matter.

It does not integrate into the factory thermostat. It has a remote tho.

I am picking my Ollie up in a week and can post a user report on the Air Command when I get some time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks John.

If you get the small Air Command, the Ollie still has a propane furnace, right?

Or, could you get the larger Air Command with a soft start and would the 2000 watt Honda generator start it?

Bruce & Vas

Thanks John. If you get the small Air Command, the Ollie still has a propane furnace, right? Or, could you get the larger Air Command with a soft start and would the 2000 watt Honda generator start it?

You will always get a gas furnace, that is standard. The regular wall thermostat controls both heat and cold, just like at home. For some reason the Atwood won't tie into that easily, so you just run it as a stand alone device.

You don't need the bigger unit unless you live in the Mojave Desert - it's a very small and extremely well insulated trailer -  but running a generator to run an electric heat strip just doesn't make much sense when you can just run the furnace. If you are concerned about it, choose the 30 pound bottle option.

The heat strip would be useful if your were connected to shore power every time you camp, but in that case the Atwood wouldn't be so attractive... These trailers are made to be off-grid, and I intend to use ours that way.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Bruce,

we don't have the Atwood. We have the earlier penguin. Any ac unit is "noisy" compared to the quiet of the forest.the fan is the culprit, just like the furnace. I'd rather sleep without either.

For looks, if you're ten feet tall and can actually see the ac unit, Penguin wins hands down. Very European. Atwood is more utilitarian and a bit boxy, but, how tall are you? Jk.

No one has ever complimented us on our European design ac. Basically, they don't see/notice it either. Under the awning, with a cold one, you won't, either.

Don't get me wrong. I care deeply about design, where it's visible. Designed my home for long range diagonal views, in and out. But I didn't choose my home ac based on design, either. I based it on function and efficiency.

I'd pick the unit that works best for you. The only thing neighbors see and ask about are your solar panels.

Sherry

Screenshot_20170518-211631.thumb.png.ed19e9d800933a6b26cb133b8437625a.png

Screenshot_20170518-211548.thumb.png.477f98864582a18d08d75ca780650239.png

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I got my LE2 used, so I had no say in the matter, but knowing what I know now, I'd delete the AC on a new order.

The noise, the bulky unit on the roof and the difficulty of running it on a practical size genny make it seem like a white elephant unless on shore power in Las Vegas or Phoenix in the summer.

After looking at window units some, it looks like one could be built into the space below the forward dinette seat.  Not hung on the outside, but built into a box. This would have partitions to manage airflow and a couple of vents to the outside.  The grill would be cut into the fiberglass wall facing the hall, under the seat.  It would be quieter, draw less power and keep the outside streamlined.  A 12 volt fan could stir the inside air if needed.

Problem in my case is the huge hole already in the ceiling.  Fortunately, I don't think we will need it very often, so I'm not going to get serious about it right now.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I replaced the original Coleman Mach 8 with an Atwood  and was very happy with the unit.  Snowlakemike owns that trailer now so maybe he will chime in.

I solved the thermostat issue with a digital thermostat controlling a relay to the AC.  Exactly like some Casita owners have done.  My AS has  Dometic Briskair II and I did the same mod for it.

I would buy another Atwood if needed, but check the service first because someone told me Dometic bought Atwood last year.

• Thanks 1

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

This is for the member who messaged me about the appearance of the Atwood Air Command

[attachment file=20160410_202601838_iOS.jpg]

• Thanks 1

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Maybe that picture was taken in Australia!

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

Honestly, I'd never buy a trailer without prewire and drain tube for ac.

We don't use it. But our daughter, pt other future owners, might .

My two cents.

S

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my ipad photos and have since learned that the ipad needs to be held with the home button on the right in landscape mode and at the bottom in portrait mode it seems that the problem is in the settings  on the pc equipment on Olivers end. Doesn't seem to be a problem on a Mac computer got to love them they just work.

Marc