MACERATOR VS SLINKY

Corcomi

I go into production today on my new Ollie and was up in the air of going with the black tank macerator or sticking with the slinky . So if i go the macerator route is the valve in the bumper become obsolete? Or can it be a backup in case the macerator fails? Hate to have the tanks full and not be able to dump!

I like the idea of the macerator, but decided against. In reading through forums there was discussion how some had to rebuild (doesn't sound like a fun job), and some had to replace their units. Sounds expensive if required in a short term. Also in an instance it was suspected that it might have been involved in a bacterial bloom, through cross contamination in a campground. That shut down two sections of that facility. We guessed we would wait. The slinky hose drains relatively well, replacement parts are relatively cheap and relatively available, is quite quick, has no power requirements, and minimum moving parts. Other than a tight opening in the bumper to get elbows and fittings in and out, we have had no problems...

• Thanks 1

We have the macerator system and like it. The way Oliver set it up is that the black tank valve is followed by a full size slinky attachment fitting with bayonet lugs. Attached to this fitting is a 2 ft flexible slinky section that connects to the Thetford macerator. Thus if there is ever a problem with the macerator it can be worked on with the black tank valve closed and the black tank contents contained. In addition, Oliver provided a 10 ft section of slinky hose which in an emergency could be connected to the bayonet lug attachment fitting. The tank could then be dumped by gravity, without recourse to the macerator.

John Shkor

SailorsAshore

• Thanks 1

I think it comes down to how willing you are to fuss with the pump, or pay somebody to fuss with the pump, year after year. I never had one in an RV but I did in a power boat. It worked GREAT to empty the 30 gallon holding tank into my home toilet with a long hose strung outside to where the boat was sitting on its trailer.

This would also work for your Ollie, but please never, NEVER, EVER leave the far end unattended and simply stuck down your toilet. If it should fall out un-noticed while your were outside running the macerator, you can imagine what your bathroom would look like, and smell like. And what your wife would say.....

I did have to clean and lube the impeller annually or it would get sticky and stall the motor, and I also was sure to flush it very well with lots of fresh water after each use. I can't recall the brand, it has been 25 years.

For my trailer, I much prefer low-tech, so I did not even consider the macerator, but bought the composting toilet instead. No regrets here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We've had 2 macerator systems in the trailer so far. Paul is tired of rebuilding puny parts.

Our yacht building friends tell us that they do not encourage owners to employ the macerator systems.

We've disconnected our second system. We are very careful users. Just done with the headaches and breakdowns.

Maybe the new models are better. Our latest,abandoned model is four or five years old.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I'm planning on using this:  http://www.valterra.com/product/sewersolution-system-boxed/

Think Macerator with no moving parts.  Uses a high pressure water nosel to breakup the unpleasantries and send it all down a manageable see-thru hose.  Reviews have all been very positive and the cost is far cheaper to the macerator without the failure points!!!!

IMG_1005.thumb.jpg.72a7dae47f4e58e3ba1ba8913865c9b1.jpg

• Thanks 2

We have used a macerater and the Sewer Solution on our last two trailers. Both work OK. But the previous posts cover the macerater issues. The sewer solution is slower and can be an issue at a dump station especially if others are waiting to dump. My bottom line now is keep it simple. With the big hose always hooked up, end cap on hose, and stored in bumper I am loving it compared to the hassles of previous experiences.

• Thanks 3

Scott&Ricki

2017 Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull 225, The Bus 
2007 Tundra 
Prev: 2003 Casita, 2009 Weekend Warrior 

We have used a macerater and the Sewer Solution on our last two trailers. Both work OK. But the previous posts cover the macerater issues. The sewer solution is slower and can be an issue at a dump station especially if others are waiting to dump. My bottom line now is keep it simple. With the big hose always hooked up, end cap on hose, and stored in bumper I am loving it compared to the hassles of previous experiences.

Scott

I did the same thing. After using the Sewer Solution for several months it went into the trash can. I agree with "keep it simple" and use the big hose.

Hap