weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Booster?

geO

We paid for this weBoost 4G-M upgrade and it lacks performance and is basically useless.. Why doesn’t Oliver go with the WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV, which is specifically for RV’s? It also is a much better product.

Having a 2015 I had to look at the manual to see what they offered back then to see which I had, turns out it's the 4G-M also, I've never had a problem with it and it has taken my 4G Verizon phone from no signal to 4 bars, obviously not in the middle of nowhere but where it could.

I wonder what the much better aspects of it are. Just looked at the site and the only real difference I see is that the "made for RVs" model is AC power only and the M is 6VDC. Specs, freqs, boost etc all seem to be the same.

GeO, have you used the X, what did you find the be improved on it?

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I cannot comment on the WeBoost Drive 4G-M vs. the WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV. We have the WeBoost Drive 4G-M, and I am satisfied that it works.

One trick I read about is to first turn on the WeBoost, and then to briefly put the phone in airplane mode, and then turn off airplane mode. This forces the phone to let go of the distant cell tower with the weak signal, and to now look for the closest "cell tower," which is the WeBoost.

The WeBoost Web site describes using Field Test Mode to get more accurate readings of signal strength than 1-5 bars. Info is HERE and HERE. I used Field Test Mode to verify that WeBoost was working on my old phone (AT&T iPhone on iOS9 or iOS10). The Field Test Mode did not work today on my current phone (Verizon iPhone on iOS11), and their web site says "iOS11 may not allow for iPhones to be placed in the Field Test mode." But the Field Test Mode may help you get more accurate readings.

The other thing to be aware of is that the WeBoost works best if your phone is close to the internal antenna, which on my Ollie is over the dinette.

I do not make many phone calls when I am in my trailer, but I am very concerned with internet via cellular signal. My solution is to first turn on the WeBoost, and then start up my hotspot, placing the hotspot on the dinette for maximal signal boost. Next I have the WiFi Booster log into my hotspot. All of my devices automatically connect to the WiFi Booster. They should all have good signal throughout the trailer as well as outside the trailer.

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

One common reason for sub-par results is if your phone already has decent signal without the booster.

What metric are you using to determine that is isn't boosting your signal much? Is the performance consistently bad no matter where you go? (I mean different geographic locations, not different spots within the trailer)

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

I don't remember the 4G-X RV when I was doing research a year ago, so it may be a new product. Regardless, it looks like the primary difference is better antennas, both inside and out, so it may be possible to upgrade yours by swapping out the antennas.

At one point, I was planning on the 4G-X and I was going to make an extendable mast for the antenna. But then Cobra got me interested in the Cradlepoint router and the budget went there instead. We've been largely pleased with that decision, though I don't know if adding a cell booster might be a beneficial upgrade sometime down the road.

I'm planning to do both. We ordered our Ollie with the WeBoost and then I'll later install a Cradlepoint with the rooftop antennae, and devise some way to switch the output from the cell booster to one of the antenna inputs of the Cradlepoint as needed. That way we'll retain MiMo capability in a good signal area, and be able to have the single-channel boosted signal when in remote areas.

That all sounds nice in theory, but give me ~six months until I get a chance to actually try it.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

You may want to try an app called LTE Discovery. It’s available in the Android Playstore. It will provide a numerical dBm signal strength reading that is more accurate than the displayed “bars” at the top of your home screen display. Not sure if there is a version for Apple. An add-on to DavidS’s comment about airplane mode. When you turn on airplane mode you are turning off all radios in the device. That includes cellular, GSM, LTE, WiFi and GPS. When you turn it back off all radios power back up and re-scan for available services. Most over the counter devices settle on the fastest available network your provider offers at your present location.

A quick look at the specs for both of the WE products you mentioned indicate that the amount of gain or amplification is the same for both. I do not have cellular amplifier so I’m not sure how the are installed in the Ollie’s or if the are all installed the same way. I would look at the published installation guidelines for your product and see if the is any suggestions for vertical and or horizontal antenna separation. Those guidelines would apply to the distance between the outside and inside antennas. This has always been a concern for amplified RF signals. Cobra also has real world experience in this field and may offer further input.

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”