Needing Advice - Prospective Buyers Of An Elite II Standard FP

AndrewK

Yesterday, the wife and I got a chance to finally walk through and admire, what we believe to be the best built trailer on the market in North America, the Oliver!

We were very pleased with everything, except for one thing, the seating cushions. We have looked at dozens of RVs and can’t think of one with such poor quality padding. I am 6’5” 235 lbs. and expect to give a cushion a run for it’s money but, my 115 lbs. wife bottomed out the cushions.

The other trailer we are serious considering is a Safari Condo Alto F2114, which comes with a 4” memory foam cushion option that is very comfortable and would work well to sleep on.

The Twin Bed with the KTT Mattresses, is not a options because of my height. We would have to get the standard floor plan/King so, I could sleep at a slight diagonal.

Our concern is, what can we do to make the sleeping experience comfortable? The cushions are so soft they wouldn’t even offer enough support to make a topper useful.

The best I can come up with is to replace the foam inserts with a much denser foam and then use a memory topper but, I really don’t know how difficult and expensive that might be. We also don’t want to leave the bed made up all of the time because we would like easy access to the upper cabinets and increase the sense of space during the day.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem or does anyone have any idea of how best to address it?

This is a deal breaker without a viable solution.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

This shouldn’t be a deal breaker. I too hate the foam, it is ridiculously soft. I can squeeze one of my cushions with very little effort and bring my fingers close to my thumb. Crazy! They sure are light weight though....

I only have four to worry about at the dinette, I was planning to just get some much denser foam and cut out new ones with an electric carving knife.

.I don’t know why they make them so darned squooshy, I hope you can get this figured out to your satisfaction. If you plan to order new, see if they will substitute a better foam....

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Andrew:

I am a 6'3", some what in shape 240 pound, OTT Elite II owner.  We have the twin beds, so I can't speak to your set up directly.  But I can say that when buying our trailer earlier this year, I had the same problem you are finding.  I chose NOT to go with the rather expensive KTT option.  Instead I purchased from Amazon the Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress, Narrow Twin / Cot Size / 30" x 75".

I use the existing stock twin bed cushions as a  "box spring" and the Zinus on top.  It works perfectly for both this bigger guy, as well as my wife who is the same size as yours.  Not to mention it saved me a large chunk of change.

Should you or anybody else go this path, I recommend that you have OTT make the "Couch" wall cushions 6" shorter.  That way they are not in the way of the windows.

If I had to do it over again, I would for sure repeat the above with the 6" mod.

Geronimo John

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

John,

I am surprised at 6'3" you can fit on the twin comfortably.  I would need to do the modification Mike referenced to be able to sleep at a slight diagonal but what you did would solve the cushion problem.  I would have to figure out how to fill in the center section and what to do with the pad during the day.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• 3 months later...

Instead I purchased from Amazon the Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress, Narrow Twin / Cot Size / 30″x 75″.

Geronimo John,

Did the Zinus Ultima narrow twin fit nicely into the twin bed opening? Also, does the Zinus Mattress feel firm?

Thanks,

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

I did pretty much the same thing in our Casita with a Memory foam mattress from Walmart. We have the twin setup in our Casita and the memory form works great, I just purchased a queen 4" mattress and cut it into two haves which made them 30" each and them trimmed the ends so the rounded corners would fit the ends of the trailer. Since these mattress are pretty much new I will be using them in our new Oliver, I will have to shorten the mattress a couple of inches as the Casita bed is 80" long and the Oliver is 75" long. We did put these mattresses on top of the factory cushions and the results were great sleeping and they had the correct firmness that we both liked. Ordering the correct firmness can be guess work, but we made the correct choice on the first order. For the $140.00 we spent on this mattress we thought we got a great deal and didn't have to spend the $1500.00 for the Oliver mattresses.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.