Hooking up and Unhooking the Anderson

Trainman

Since I started this post some time back (maybe three months ago) I have found the Anderson very easy to use, actually easier then I ever thought it would be. Do note here, I do my chain hookup both ways depending on how I feel that day, sometimes I adjust with the nuts and other I just lift the trailer on the hitch, I guess it depends if I want to get down on one knee or not.

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I purchased the Anderson with my Oliver, however, once I upgraded my TV to a 2500 GMC diesel, I no longer use it. The Anderson performed fine with the older 1/2 ton, but makes little difference with the larger truck.  So - it turned into a wasted $$ spend. I think I used the thing about 3 times. It was a pain to use, well perhaps just more work.

I have seen them on several Oliver's, and noticed several in differing states of condition, one where the plastic housing had risen up about 1 inch.  I know Anderson has been good at replacing and updating, but it seems like its a constant rework.

For me, the larger TV is just so much more comfortable all the way around, using the Anderson may be needed in many cases, for me it just wasn't to be.

Mine is for sale  - cheap - if anyone is interested.....

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Ram 1500 with collision avoidance. We had a problem hooking up our Ollie at delivery due to brake activation after installing ball into receiver. When we got to Crockett SP we had an issue backing up again to the site with nothing in proximity. I suspect it has something to do with hitch. Each time the issue was resolved by turning off the CAS for the rear. Has anyone had this problem before

? Do you think my ball should be installed with the adjustment going up as seen in the attached picture.

David and Paula

image.thumb.jpg.ab6659dd0a5e92fca831420433bf45b6.jpg

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

I think the forward collision avoidance system works with the adaptive cruise control to apply the brakes to maintain the set separation with the vehicle in front of you ..... I don’t see any possible way it could be confused by a trailer hitch.

My Land Cruiser has a proximity sensing system. It screams bloody murder if I have it active and install a hitch. The rear “radar” sensors think that the hitch is an obstacle.

Maybe you should post your concerns on a Ram forum, or call the Customer Service number. Your system may not be working as designed.

There is nothing wrong with the ball mount, and you can cut off the excess material with a hacksaw if you like. Just make sure that you don’t need those extra holes for another vehicle, or for re-trimming the trailer if you install different diameter tires on your truck....

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Many newer cars have rear proximity sensors that auto-brake if it detects something within a particular distance. Too many heard the solid tone and kept going I guess. Trimming the excess mount may help, but if the sensors are in the chrome part of the bumper, it may still detect the ball. Disabling the sensor/rear cas might be the right thing. I don't drive with my hitch mount installed if there isn't a trailer, partially in case of collision and partially to save my shins.

• Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

Either my new 2019 Ram does not have that feature, or I just don't hear, or see it on the dash. True about banging your shin, but I find with the Anderson ball assembly it does not stick out as much as my old WDH with the spring bars type did.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 1 month later...

"Picasso" just got his Anderson hitch installed by my friend Randy (aka "trailer god") and we used the lift for slack method to hitch and unhitch and it worked well. Now that it is real and I have a better idea of hitching and unhitching with it, I will get another chain link so the tension is not as great, and I will try the method suggested by Mike ( mossemi), I like the idea of avoiding potential hitch issues in the middle of nowhere. On my two trips so far I noticed very little sway and I am looking forward to even less plus additional safety. Even my Aliner had an anti sway though not a weight distributing hitch and there was a difference with out it.  Anya