Sewer Hose for Elite 1 (2021)

Moonlight Mile

Hiya,

Have been told that I should invest in a 50’ quality sewer hose. 

My sales rep at OTT says a 20’ sewer hose comes w my 2021 Ollie Elite 1 (delivery late Jan 2021) but then added this: “Though we do supply a 20’ sewage hose, if you wanted to buy another one, you can. There are higher grade ones online.”

Anyone point me to a good one?

I’ve reserved a couple campgrounds and reviews at a few say it’s hard to reach the connection point (whatever that’s called) and it sounds like a good quality sewer hose will be good to have?

The new Ollie also comes with a water hose but on various recs I bought a 25’ heated water hose. I can’t put too much more stuff in my Ram truck to make the trip to Hohenwald in late Jan 2021, so I wondered if, aside from chocks and the leveler blocks — I should try to get these other things NOW. It’s gonna be COLD in TN, possibly snow. I don’t wanna have frozen pipes or hoses. Staying at David Crockett SP on OTT the first night and booked extra days and nights there so I can get set up for cold and have OTT nearby if anything is wrong etc.

Noob and towing toward TX in early Feb. Thanks, all. 

Edited by SherMica

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SherMica said:

Have been told that I should invest in a 50’ quality sewer hose. 

50’ is a lot of sewer hose.  I’ve never encountered a situation where I needed that much.  I have a 15’ that stays connected to the trailer.  I have a second 15’ in case we need more.  I’ve been through several brands, the ones we have now are Valterra Dominator, Amazon link:

Valterra Dominator

The thing I like about this hose is that when you scrunch it up, it stays scrunched up.  When it’s time to use you can unscrunch just the amount you need and keep the rest of it scrunched.  It makes life a bit easier.

As far as water in cold weather goes, we keep our fresh tank full, replenishing during the day when it is warmer, then we disconnect and put away our fresh water hose and just use the water pump.  Having the hose freeze is not an issue that way.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

As for the sewer hose, I carry one 10 foot and one 15 foot the two can be coupled together if necessary; I have never needed any additional lengths.  The fresh water hose I carry one 25 foot, one 10 foot and one 5 foot plus a water filter.  Most of the time the 10 foot is all that is needed.

I also carry one 50 foot flex green hose for the black tank flush.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators

Virtually every commercial place that you might camp has a dump "nearby" that you can pull up to and reach the sewer dump within 10 to 20 feet.  If the "nearby" is not right at your campsite then it is usually located as you exit the campground.

Your 25' heated water hose should also be sufficient - I think that Oliver still supplies a fresh water hose at delivery.  As Mike & Carol said, with the Oliver, heated water hoses are not usually necessary - simply use you onboard water tank and refill it during the warmer parts of the day if necessary.  And as Maverick said, be aware that you should always carry a separate dedicated hose for rinsing your black tank - note that his is a distinct color so that he doesn't get his fresh water hose and his black tank rinse hose mixed up.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

The sewer hose Oliver supplies will get you going. There are probably a number of better brands. Lately, we are using a Rhino 20', which comes in two ten foot sections. 

You can find good sewer hoses at any camping store. Even at Walmart. 

I can't imagine carrying 50' of sewer hose. No way.

You're only one person, and a dog. If you're careful with water, you can go days, even a week or more without dumping.

You can dump with a 10 ft. hose at most dump stations. And, at most campsites. The longer the sewer hose, the tougher the job. It's called a stinky slinky for a reason .  It really becomes a slinky under load. The last thing you want is a sewer hose that's too long.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, Mike and Carol said:

50’ is a lot of sewer hose.  I’ve never encountered a situation where I needed that much.  I have a 15’ that stays connected to the trailer.  I have a second 15’ in case we need more.  I’ve been through several brands, the ones we have now are Valterra Dominator, Amazon link:

Valterra Dominator

The thing I like about this hose is that when you scrunch it up, it stays scrunched up.  When it’s time to use you can unscrunch just the amount you need and keep the rest of it scrunched.  It makes life a bit easier.

As far as water in cold weather goes, we keep our fresh tank full, replenishing during the day when it is warmer, then we disconnect and put away our fresh water hose and just use the water pump.  Having the hose freeze is not an issue that way.  Mike

That Valterra 15’ scrunchy looks good to me! Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

On 12/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, SeaDawg said:

The sewer hose Oliver supplies will get you going. There are probably a number of better brands. Lately, we are using a Rhino 20', which comes in two ten foot sections. 

You can find good sewer hoses at any camping store. Even at Walmart. 

I can't imagine carrying 50' of sewer hose. No way.

You're only one person, and a dog. If you're careful with water, you can go days, even a week or more without dumping.

You can dump with a 10 ft. hose at most dump stations. And, at most campsites. The longer the sewer hose, the tougher the job. It's called a stinky slinky for a reason .  It really becomes a slinky under load. The last thing you want is a sewer hose that's too long.

Glad I asked! Thank you! I am NOT gonna get a 50” sewer hose. No way. I may try the supplied one that comes w the Elite 1 at first and see how it goes. Figure there is some “reason” it seems like most of you guys are using some other one/brand? Better quality?

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

On 12/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, topgun2 said:

Virtually every commercial place that you might camp has a dump "nearby" that you can pull up to and reach the sewer dump within 10 to 20 feet.  If the "nearby" is not right at your campsite then it is usually located as you exit the campground.

Your 25' heated water hose should also be sufficient - I think that Oliver still supplies a fresh water hose at delivery.  As Mike & Carol said, with the Oliver, heated water hoses are not usually necessary - simply use you onboard water tank and refill it during the warmer parts of the day if necessary.  And as Maverick said, be aware that you should always carry a separate dedicated hose for rinsing your black tank - note that his is a distinct color so that he doesn't get his fresh water hose and his black tank rinse hose mixed up.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I don’t think OTT will supply the “separate dedicated hose for rinsing the black tank,” right? So I need to buy . . . what? A garden hose (10’?) or?

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
5 hours ago, SherMica said:

Figure there is some “reason” it seems like most of you guys are using some other one/brand? Better quality?

We have a different one because the original wore out. We're probably on the third hose in 13 seasons. Maybe 4th, but I  think 3rd.

I don't know which hose brand Oliver supplies these days. Any of them will last awhile. We store ours in the bumper storage area, and I  think the diamond plate abrades the hose as we travel. 

That Valterra hose that Bill uses looks really nice. I'm guessing you still have to stretch it out to totally clean and rinse, but how nice to be able to adjust the length before use, and have it stay that way.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Btw, since you are new to camping and rvs, as many people are when they buy their first rv, I'll offer this idea that I've used with several friends new to rv camping.

Practice learning to dump with clean water. It's a bit of a waste of water,  but so much easier on the nerves. Fill the grey tank to maybe half using a faucet, and the black with clean water by just depressing the foot pedal for a good long while, or run the shower wand into the toilet at the same time. Half full is enough when there are no solids or tp in the black tank, but do whatever you like.

Hook up and dump. If you do make a mistake, the only thing you're spilling is clean water. No panic.

This works really well if your first campsite is full hookups, but I'd fill the fresh tank, and work from there. It can flush some of the plastic taste and smell from new plumbing, at the same time.

Sherry

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Oliver only supplies one water hose and (from all that I've seen) it is white and (I believe) 20 or 25 feet in length.  Given that you already have a heated water hose, you could simply use the one Oliver gives you for the black tank and your heated hose for your regular drinking/fresh water.  However - be warned  - unless you specifically mark this Oliver hose in some manner you risk the possibility that you might mistakenly use it for regular drinking water at some point.  I'd recommend that you paint or in some manner mark the hose you chose to use as your black tank hose so that you really don't have to even think about it.

Another way to tackle this problem is to simply use hoses of different colors - normally hoses that are certified drinking water safe are white (but not always).  I use a grey colored hose for the black tank duties and a regular white hose for drinking/fresh water duties.  I also carry a Zero G hose because it is easier to store than either a heated hose or a regular drinking hose and is drinking water safe.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I'd personally spend 15 or 20 bucks on a green or grey garden hose, and keep the supplied white hose for fresh water. You'll want the white one in the spring.

Maybe you already have an old colored hose to use for now?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

18 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Oliver only supplies one water hose and (from all that I've seen) it is white and (I believe) 20 or 25 feet in length.  Given that you already have a heated water hose, you could simply use the one Oliver gives you for the black tank and your heated hose for your regular drinking/fresh water.  However - be warned  - unless you specifically mark this Oliver hose in some manner you risk the possibility that you might mistakenly use it for regular drinking water at some point.  I'd recommend that you paint or in some manner mark the hose you chose to use as your black tank hose so that you really don't have to even think about it.

Another way to tackle this problem is to simply use hoses of different colors - normally hoses that are certified drinking water safe are white (but not always).  I use a grey colored hose for the black tank duties and a regular white hose for drinking/fresh water duties.  I also carry a Zero G hose because it is easier to store than either a heated hose or a regular drinking hose and is drinking water safe.

Bill

I will likely mark the heck out of it (red! red! red! tape all over it or take a sharpie and draw skulls on it, heh) OR sure, buy a grey one for black tank duties and divvy up the two I have (Ollie's hose and the heated water hose I bought already) as you said. Just to be extra sure. The Zero G looks great; yeah the heated water hose I got is bulky and I wish I had waited. I am not buying ANYTHING ELSE, as of a few days ago the overwhelm really hit me and I think I am overdoing it all. Had to take a break.  If I get to Hohenwald in late Jan, early Feb (camping extra days at the SP OTT puts you up at that first night) and DO NOT HAVE something I really did need, I will post about it here in all caps. LOL

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

37 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Btw, since you are new to camping and rvs, as many people are when they buy their first rv, I'll offer this idea that I've used with several friends new to rv camping.

Practice learning to dump with clean water. It's a bit of a waste of water,  but so much easier on the nerves. Fill the grey tank to maybe half using a faucet, and the black with clean water by just depressing the foot pedal for a good long while, or run the shower wand into the toilet at the same time. Half full is enough when there are no solids or tp in the black tank, but do whatever you like.

Hook up and dump. If you do make a mistake, the only thing you're spilling is clean water. No panic.

This works really well if your first campsite is full hookups, but I'd fill the fresh tank, and work from there. It can flush some of the plastic taste and smell from new plumbing, at the same time.

Sherry

This is a great idea!  I’ve dumped grey tanks many times on RVs I have rented.  Given it is dirty dish water or shower water it never bothered me.  

Never done a black tank as rentals had a cassette toilet and my rule with family was I’d take care of cassette unless someone went #2 and then you had to do it.  With just pee it wasn’t bad. I’m not sure I want to deal with sewage so thinking hard about composting toilet.   The pee jug doesn’t bother me but do wonder if composting part really does work. Does it really not smell.   I’ve got a bit more time with to decide...

• Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• Moderators

I can't yet comment on the nature's head composting toilet,  as we've never had one. From my reading, I  think they're a great solution for boats, where pump out stations are a big pain. Most owners here think they're great.

We have used cassette toilets in Australia and New Zealand,  and many of the usual and typical rv dump systems here, including our Oliver for 13 seasons. It's neither rocket science, nor as ugly as a Robin Williams film. Not really a big deal. If you've already learned to dump grey, the black isn't any different.  You already know how to get the connections right.

Good luck in your decision.  Good news is, if you hate the nature's head and frequent dumping of the pee bottle,  it's not difficult to retrofit to a typical rv toilet.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

12 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'd personally spend 15 or 20 bucks on a green or grey garden hose, and keep the supplied white hose for fresh water. You'll want the white one in the spring.

Maybe you already have an old colored hose to use for now?

Soooo, what length or grey or green garden hose? I have NOSSINK. 

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

15 hours ago, TexasGuy said:

Does it really not smell.   I’ve got a bit more time with to decide...

There's tons of discussions on the forum about the Natures Head.  Tons of stuff on the internet too - a lot good and some really scary.  Most owners have had good success and so far we have for the first 6 weeks.  We've used the trailer to camp 3 times now and I have not emptied the solids bin yet - and it does not smell at all - even in my garage where it is venting when at home (steel garage w/lots of natural air exchange though).  Oliver also installs a screen on the top vent now as many owners of earlier models have suggested.  It's also not as hard as we thought it would be to hit the appropriate targets in the toilet.  😄

Edited by NCeagle
  • Haha 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SherMica said:

Soooo, what length or grey or green garden hose? I have NOSSINK. 

20 or 30’ would be plenty.  I have one of those collapsible hoses, they don’t take up much space but don’t last as long as a normal garden hose.

• Thanks 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

In the vast majority of situations you will only be rinsing your black tank after you dump it.  Therefore, you will usually be at a campsite that has full hookups including sewer and/or you will be at a regular dump station.  In both these circumstances there will be "rinse water" nearby which should be easily accessed via a hose length of 20 feet.

While we are on the subject - you might also want to consider a very short length to drinking water hose to use for getting water into your fresh water tank via the "winterization port" at the rear of our Oliver.  Something like THIS would do.  By attaching one end to the Ollie, the other end placed in a bucket filled with water, and, turning a couple of valves near your water pump, you can draw water into the fresh water tank when there is not a faucet to get water from.  Of course you could always use a cut off portion from an old drinking water hose but since you are new to this RV thing you probably don't have and old drinking water hose laying around 😇.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

In the vast majority of situations you will only be rinsing your black tank after you dump it.  Therefore, you will usually be at a campsite that has full hookups including sewer and/or you will be at a regular dump station.  In both these circumstances there will be "rinse water" nearby which should be easily accessed via a hose length of 20 feet.

While we are on the subject - you might also want to consider a very short length to drinking water hose to use for getting water into your fresh water tank via the "winterization port" at the rear of our Oliver.  Something like THIS would do.  By attaching one end to the Ollie, the other end placed in a bucket filled with water, and, turning a couple of valves near your water pump, you can draw water into the fresh water tank when there is not a faucet to get water from.  Of course you could always use a cut off portion from an old drinking water hose but since you are new to this RV thing you probably don't have and old drinking water hose laying around 😇.

Bill

So, are all these water and rinse hoses (not sewer) 1/2" or 5/8" diameter? I've never bought the right sizes even with garden hoses. Seems to be a family curse. I'll get the thing home and it won't connect to whatever I had, etc. GAH!

And does my Elite 1 have the "winterization port"? I still have to watch all the OTT videos, making my way through. 

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, SherMica said:

Yes, that will work.  My black tank flush out hose is very similar.  They collapse and don’t take a large space and are lightweight.  They also don’t last as long as a regular hose!

• Thanks 1