GenY Glyder Hitch

Carl Hansen

This is the torsion hitch I will use to tow the Ollie I.

GenY has a great reputation in the industry for producing excellent products.

I have been using this hitch with my 14’ enclosed trailer I use to tow our street motorcycles and camping gear. It really does smooth out the ride. I can’t wait to see how it works with the “shorty”. 

Here is a link to the product website.

https://genyhitch.com/product/the-glyder-torsion-flex-hitch/?gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkvLZgT5zOEl0s3GV1gKd3TUU-p6JYiwPKLcPCiNXy1MMqhopCzcekBoCBm8QAvD_BwE

Is anyone else using this hitch? If so what has been your experience?  I've loved it so far. I’ve attached a couple of pics of my hitch below.

Carl

5FF5003D-AE21-4596-8207-FC50FCE621B4.jpeg

8C3AD313-25AF-48EA-B4CD-B6DD5383939E.jpeg

369DC446-3408-4FDE-8695-A79053DC3E63.jpeg

• Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Carl - 

Interesting idea.  One of the things I've always liked about the Andersen is its ability to reduce "bouncing or porpoising" between the tow vehicle and the Ollie.  Please let us know how this hitch works with your Ollie.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

That is pretty cool. Thanks for posting! The Australians have been using what they call “poly block” hitches for off pavement towing, for decades. I had a Treg model and it was terrific. I am glad US manufacturers are starting to use this concept. Did you buy the warranty? I found this picture on that page.

08995A2A-D4D1-40A6-8F28-1CD6FDC1BB34.jpeg.0f3e9901850154e6bf03c83fc8ea68d4.jpeg

It does appear that, like a rubber torsion axle, you can expect it deteriorate over time. Does it start to get noisy? Rubber axle bushings can be destroyed by exposure to water and grit. Are these rudder tubes exposed in the front of the tube? Please keep us updated on how this works out.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 8 months later...

We recently returned home (3,500+ miles) from Hohenwald. We did not come straight home 🙂. I pulled the LE1 Ollie home with the Glyder hitch. For the most part it worked OK. We could not get the trailer level at the Oliver factory using that hitch. It’s important to note that our TV is a Jeep Gladiator. We finally settled on the trailer being somewhat “nose-up”.  I needed to be able to lower the hitch ball at least another 3”.  There is another adapter that Gen-Y sells but that would the make alignment worse. 

In this configuration, the hitch had a tendency to lift the tongue of the trail up when backing or during more sudden stops.  By design the hitch raises up when the tongue weight drops.

When backing the trailer into a site, the tongue would lift up and we had to make sure and pull forward slightly to make sure the hitch was in its lower position with the full tongue weight on the hitch otherwise the trailer would slightly shift positions then raising the tongue off the hitch when disconnecting.  It gave us quite a start the first time it happened.

It bothered me enough that I switched to the CURT 45949 Rebellion XD Adjustable Cushion Hitch Ball Mount 2-Inch Receiver when I got home. With 15,000 lbs of tow capacity and 1500 lbs tongue weight, and a 6-Inch adjustable drop. This hitch allows me to really dial in the trailer perfectly level.  The new hitch pulls very well without the problems mention above. 

CURT 45949 Rebellion XD Adjustable Cushion Hitch Ball Mount 2-Inch Receiver, 15,000 lbs, 6-Inch Drop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5GQ6W9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8YFH8QRV0KVSZ5FFV6RE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This hitch is a much more robust hitch but after my initial test drive, I’m very pleased with the new hitch. 

if anyone is interested in a used hitch, let me know. 

Carl

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Moderators

Carl - 

Sorry that it didn't work out for you on the Glyder.

I'd guess that the fact that the camper was nose up to start really didn't help things and only amplified the tongue lifting up.

However, it looks like your new hitch will give you some of the same functions as the Glyder.  Good luck with it.

All this being said - how's that Ollie working for you guys?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Oh man, it is everything we hoped for. It’s the perfect size for the two of us. The size allows us to go almost everywhere. So easy to pull and the Gladiator does a great job. The long trip home gave us both great experience with the Jeep and the trailer. 

My wife handles the trailer like a pro. The sizes does not intimidate her at all. I am surprised and pleased how well she does backing it into a tough site!  She’ll be able to solo with “Lil’ tow” any time she wants. 

I'm also impressed with how well the Gladiator does pulling the trailer. I’m not going to win any speed records but it is very capable. Since I only get about 18-19 mpg on the highway I was very pleased to get 13.7 mpg as the towing average coming home. 

All in all, I couldn’t be happier. I have already started our vacation plan for 2022. Out next trip is just a couple of weeks away.   When the ski areas finally open, I will get good experience pulling it in the snow. So much fun to look forward to!!!

Carl

A115548F-0FD5-4D33-9E3E-5D3C09C0B798.jpeg

B44FB336-F529-4DE9-9DE9-B87BF7C88AA9.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Carl Hansen said:

, it is everything we hoped for. It’s the perfect size for the two of us. The size allows us to go almost everywhere. So easy to pull and the Gladiator does a great job. The long trip home gave us both great experience with the Jeep and the trailer. 

That's been our feeling about our Elite 1, for 14 seasons.

I'm really happy for both of you. Hope you enjoy yours, long term, as much as we have enjoyed ours. 14 seasons, over 100k miles. 

Wishing you many miles of smiles! And, happy travels.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, Carl Hansen said:

I switched to the CURT 45949 Rebellion XD Adjustable Cushion Hitch Ball Mount 2-Inch Receiver when I got home.

We spent Thanksgiving at the Oregon coast at Sunset Bay State Park near Coos Bay.  The total mileage for the trip was 450 miles.  I wanted to report back on the performance of the new hitch.  

The Curt hitch was phenomenal.  I was able to level the trailer easily and it towed remarkably well.  The hitch resolved all the problems I had with the Gen-Y Glyder hitch.  My confidence in the performance of this hitch was far superior to the Gen-Y hitch.  I'm sure the Gen-Y hitch is a great hitch, it just did not work for my application.

IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpg

• Like 4