Jump to content

Towing and sway issues


John Welte
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Nancy S said:

Can you use another anti-sway hitch instead of the Anderson.

The basic answer to your question is - NO.

Unless you want to make modifications to the fiberglass of the Oliver as ScubaRx mentions above.

Bottom line is that it is usually cheaper and certainly easier to simply use the Andersen.

Bill

  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice!  Oliver II hopeful.  We are currently driving an F-150 2.7 Eco Boost.  GVWR 6600.  It will probably be a while before we get an Ollie unless my husband is blown away during the tour which is what I am hoping for.

Nancy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

if the factory tour doesn't convince him - nothing will.  Be sure to take a bunch of pictures and ask a bunch of questions.

And - have fun!

Bill

  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nancy S said:

unless my husband is blown away during the tour which is what I am hoping for.

Have you watched any of the factory tour videos? If yes, then he may not be blown away, but if not, then he definitely will be flabbergasted. This video is a very good substitute for an in -person tour.

Oliver Trailers - From the Ground Up ⬆️Factory Tour (181)

If you are RV newbies, you should first watch some factory tour videos from “stick and staple” builders. That will make the effect of the Oliver plant extra special.

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Like 4

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Nancy S said:

Thanks for the advice!  Oliver II hopeful.  We are currently driving an F-150 2.7 Eco Boost.  GVWR 6600.  It will probably be a while before we get an Ollie unless my husband is blown away during the tour which is what I am hoping for.

Nancy

We pull our LE2 with a 2016 F150 with the 3.5L engine and towing package.   You will want to check your owners manual very carefully as to payload and towing capacity.  Unless I miss my guess you will need the Anderson Weight Distributing Hitch.  Check the fine print in your manual with regard to using a WDH.  In 2016 it says that without a WDH you will reduce towing capacity by 50%.   5k vs 10k for us. 

You might also solicit info from this forum from F-150 drivers with the smaller engine.  I have been happy with performance with the 3.5 for over 5 years now.  But, have no experience with the 2.7 which is about 40 hp less.  You might be fine or there may be things to be aware of.  

Good Luck on the tour. 

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC


CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a newbie too -- don't have my truck or my trailer yet. Since I was shopping the truck with the trailer already set in my heart, I had great advice and suggestions through my Oliver Sales members. 

Since that time, I've discovered this forum and the many excellent members who provide so much great advice. A LOT of it is already organized -- I'm still learning where to find information about topics, whether on the Oliver website or here in the forum. 

My tour wasn't at the plant but here in Florida, and it blew my socks off. After drooling over the website photos and videos, the in-person tour with owners model really did put the cherry on that float! 

  • Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me why such a long set of extra links are needed for the Oliver/Andersen hookup? Most of the installation videos I've seen install the clamping bars about halfway back on the A Frame with resulting chain being significantly shorter than what Oliver recommends. I realize the clamps mount onto the inner frame member but can't understand why the need for them to be all the way to the back. Are the additional links supplied by Andersen as extras, or can any off the shelf link be used assuming it of the same size and caliber? 

After reading through this conversation I am making the decision to incorporate the Andersen although after 7 years of towing without it I'm not convinced of the need, but the insurance and liability part was what convinced me so I'm belling up to the bar for this one. Thanks.

  • Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, routlaw said:

Can someone explain to me why such a long set of extra links are needed for the Oliver/Andersen hookup? Most of the installation videos I've seen install the clamping bars about halfway back on the A Frame with resulting chain being significantly shorter than what Oliver recommends. I realize the clamps mount onto the inner frame member but can't understand why the need for them to be all the way to the back. Are the additional links supplied by Andersen as extras, or can any off the shelf link be used assuming it of the same size and caliber? 

After reading through this conversation I am making the decision to incorporate the Andersen although after 7 years of towing without it I'm not convinced of the need, but the insurance and liability part was what convinced me so I'm belling up to the bar for this one. Thanks.

The chain provided by Anderson is too short and will require additional links to fit the Oliver ... at least the Legacy II - someone else with knowledge can chime in on the Legacy I.  If you buy the Anderson from Oliver, they will set it up for you, including providing the extra necessary chain links.  I also needed to lengthen the emergency brake cable by several inches to fit my 2021 F150.

A bit more money buying from Oliver but, I think worthwhile in easing the workload during pickup day.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I suspect that the answer to the question of length has to do with the length of the tongue on the Oliver versus that of "normal" trailers.  Certainly the Oliver's tongue is longer than any other travel trailer that I've owned.

Bill

  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

  Certainly the Oliver's tongue is longer than any other travel trailer that I've owned.

Maybe that is one of the factors that contribute to stable sway free towing manners. 

  • Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC


CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

The chain provided by Anderson is too short and will require additional links to fit the Oliver ... at least the Legacy II - someone else with knowledge can chime in on the Legacy I.  If you buy the Anderson from Oliver, they will set it up for you, including providing the extra necessary chain links.  I also needed to lengthen the emergency brake cable by several inches to fit my 2021 F150.

A bit more money buying from Oliver but, I think worthwhile in easing the workload during pickup day.

John Davies told me to get two 21 link 3/8" chain and 2 repair links, it fit perfect. I installed the Anderson hitch myself at the camping ground the first night,  took less then one hour for this old man to do. Oliver delivery guy (Phil) showed me where to mount the brackets on the trailer. All being said, I purchased the Anderson hitch from an online dealer that sold Anderson products for $475 with free shipping, got the chain and links at Home Depot for somewhere around $35. I personally thought saving some $300 was a go for me. 

trainman

  • Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Trainman curious Jason at Oliver told me 23 links were needed plus a link connector deal. I was figuring each link was about 2 inches long going by the description on the Andersen website which would make the entire extension roughly 4 foot long which seems like a lot. An approximate measure from just behind the hitch (guessing where the triangle plate might end) was close to 60 inches to the rear most area of the frame where the clamps would be installed. Jason quoted me $623.00 + shipping. No idea what shipping would be but at 60 lbs probably close to $50 these days going ground. Thanks

Legacy Elite II #70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, routlaw said:

@Trainman curious Jason at Oliver told me 23 links were needed plus a link connector deal. I was figuring each link was about 2 inches long going by the description on the Andersen website which would make the entire extension roughly 4 foot long which seems like a lot. An approximate measure from just behind the hitch (guessing where the triangle plate might end) was close to 60 inches to the rear most area of the frame where the clamps would be installed. Jason quoted me $623.00 + shipping. No idea what shipping would be but at 60 lbs probably close to $50 these days going ground. Thanks

Don't know what to tell you why the link number (21 vs. 23) is different, I just know on our 2019 Elite II per Phil with Oliver gave my great instructions on where to mount the adjusting bracket on the trailer tongue and we even crawled under the tongue and was showed where to mount it up to the crossmember. Maybe Oliver's crossmember has been moved on the newer models, but I can tell you if my 3/8" chain was 23 links long I could not get all the slack out of the chain for proper adjustment. Maybe 3/8" chain links do come in different lengths, this I do not know if this happens in the chain world. When I purchase my extension chain I did get then with a few extra links just incase If I needed a long extension, so I had adjustment if needed. I cut the extra links off when I got home. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fascinating the differences on this issue, but thanks or the info. Presumably then you let the extra links dangle loose until you got home? Regarding the length if you look at the Andersen website they offer an extension of links couple link, think they call it a D-ring, but provide this as 6 links which are almost 1 foot in length so 23 of them would be getting fairly close to 4 feet. Oh well. 

Legacy Elite II #70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, routlaw said:

Fascinating the differences on this issue, but thanks or the info. Presumably then you let the extra links dangle loose until you got home? Regarding the length if you look at the Andersen website they offer an extension of links couple link, think they call it a D-ring, but provide this as 6 links which are almost 1 foot in length so 23 of them would be getting fairly close to 4 feet. Oh well. 

Buying the Anderson extension chain kit will still be too short, the need chain from Home Depot, etc. will be your best buy to get the need links to fit correctly without using more then one Quick Link on each side. I did like I said in the previous post I did buy my chain a litter longer (three links) just to be safe. I did let the extra dangle and cut them off when I got home and was assured that me chins were now the correct length. I wouldn't use D-Rings here because they would not center correctly on the chain, Quick Links would be the correct choice. 

trainman

  • Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...