Air Conditioner runs when furnace is runs, strange.

This might be a complication question & solution.

I recently ran my trailer off a generator.  The A/C could, JUST barely, get started, but always did.  I only ran it for an hour or so before bedtime to dehumidify while in Georgia.

I got home and ran the furnace for the first time in a while.  Furnace turns on and works great, but so does the AC unit.  And the AC just constantly runs, and cools. It normally cycles on and off, annoyingly so.  I rather have a constant fan anyway, side point.

My temporary solution was the flip the AC breaker off.  Next day, I tested again, and same result. 

Any ideas?

• Thanks 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

It may very well be your thermostat settings.

There's a bit to read through, but if you have 5he digital thermostat (I don't) , you may find your answer in proper settings. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

With my trailer, the AC comes on with the furnace if I have the fan set to low or hi.  If I set the fan on auto, the AC does not come on with the furnace.  I usually have the fan on Low when I run the AC and then when I turn on the furnace the AC comes on and I always roll my eyes that I forgot again to set the fan on auto first.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Wow, the fan setting was on Lo. I don't remember fussing with the fan setting, but I did place the AC down very low one evening so it would not cycle and have issues with the small generator. I think a soft start is in my future. I don't typically use a generator, but I didn't have a 30 Amp outlet at the house. 

Once again, thank you all. Thankfully it was simple. 

I'm heading into winter here in NC while full-timing.  I'm pretty nervous of things going wrong, especially when heat will be needed to protect the water lines. I'm at a great RV park though, so we'll see. I'm interested to see how long the two 30 lb LP tanks will last, especially since I'll be at work most days and will set trailer to some undecided low temp. 

I wonder if anyone has that sort of experience with the Ollies. I'll poke around forums. 

Chris

• Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Since you are full timing I assume that you staying at a full service RV park.  That being said, I recommend that you look into an electric space heater.  Unless you are in the mountains, winter temps are pretty moderate in NC.  There are a number of folks on this forum who use them as supplemental heat.

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, LongStride said:

Since you are full timing I assume that you staying at a full service RV park.  That being said, I recommend that you look into an electric space heater.  Unless you are in the mountains, winter temps are pretty moderate in NC.  There are a number of folks on this forum who use them as supplemental heat.

If we have electricity we use an electric space heater.  We’ve got a small Vornado that is quiet and does the job with three settings.  On the lowest setting we can also run the coffee pot, so life is good!  We were just in CO and northern NM with night temps around freezing and the little Vornado kept us toasty!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We just purchased a Vornado as we are heading out at the end of November.  We are headed to Naples for Christmas but will be heading across Texas, New Mexico and Arizona then back through Southern Utah and then Route 66 to Oklahoma City.  Then on to Memphis, Nashville and I'd we have time and conditions permitting the Blue Ridge Parkway, returning to Maine in late April.  I tested the Vornado yesterday, another benefit is it is quieter than the furnace.  We will use the heater any time we are able to have power.  We have our Ollie stored inside our in heated barn.  I don't like running the Ollie furnace in the barn.  If we get a cold snap before we leave I will use the Vornado to keep the Ollie from freezing.  Our first stop south is at the Oliver factory to have them go through our 2019 trailer that we picked up in October of 2019.  

• Like 1

Hello Wayfinder, 

I suggest you inquire about a larger rental propane tank for your “full timer” situation. 

For my full time winter campers the local Propane provider delivers 110 gallon propane tanks and connects them to the RV and tests all connections as well for $45.00 a year tank rental.... it’s cheap and simple as they also deliver the Propane and fill these tanks so you do not have to haul your 30 pounders into town all the time. And the price of the fuel is lower than when you refill.... it is a win win situation trust me the only question is if it’s available there in your area. 

Dan

• Like 2