Has anyone installed a outside weatherproof USB Port

Trainman

Just Asking, my thought was to get power from inside from the ports on the right side bed stand between the beds. Want to install the post somewhere back by the heater area outside, is there a double wall there and fishing the wire hopefully won't be a problem, thoughts on this, thanks.

trainman

• Thanks 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Have you considered changing the outside curbside outlet to one with USB ports as well as the regular 120V plugs?  
That would be weatherproof, but it would require that you run the inverter to get the USB power outside.
You may be able to change that particular unit to have ONE 120V AC Outlet, and ONE with a USB Outlet that could then be wired to the 12V power that also runs the pump.

There may be a way to see that outlet on the curb side under the bed, in our EII that plug would be between the water heater and the water pump on the sidewall.

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Trainman said:

is there a double wall there and fishing the wire hopefully won't be a problem

What Galway Girl said .

However, to answer you question - you will probably have to weave around duct work, plumbing work over/under the furnace and Truma (if you have one), but, there aren't any walls other than the outside wall that you would have to deal with.

During my build I asked for and got a 12 volt accessory outlet place right below the 120 volt outlet.  Anita tried to talk me out of it given that she noted that I could simply use the outlets above the cook top and fish the wires out the window when I needed them.  Perhaps I should have listened to her given that I've rarely used that exterior 12 volt outlet.  But, it does look better than fishing the wires out the window!🙂

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Following this with great interest.  I was actually disappointed that Oliver didn't have any 12V outlets outside -- if and when I get a 12V portable fridge unit, an outside plug is what I would want to power it.  I'd rather not have the inverter running unnecessarily while I'm boondocking.

mb

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Galway Girl said:

Have you considered changing the outside curbside outlet to one with USB ports as well as the regular 120V plugs?  

I’ve done this in the house and it’s quick and easy.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

23 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’ve done this in the house and it’s quick and easy.

There is a reason why I can't use that 120v plug, long story, but yesterday the BBQ grill blew into the trailer and I got a small 1" scratch. It just happens to be in a place where a small USB port would work great, so that's why I'm doing this. Don't know how much I will use it, but it will be there for use if we need it for outside use. Now I just need to look inside and see if all will clear and which way I will run the wires, shouldn't be too much of a problem for me to do. 

trainman

• Like 1

• Moderators

We have an outdoor 12v in our 2008. It's mostly out of the weather, but a bad rainstorm can let a little water in if I forget to close the plug. It's great for our friend's 12v portable cooler, when he visits. 

I'd probably install a weatherproof cover, if  putting a 12v outlet in the location you described. Certainly doable. Good luck.

Screenshot_20220420-155707_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a weather proof USB port that I order from Amazon, it look good, but I was unhappy with the quality of the weather proof cap and design of the unit in general. I  returned it to Amazon and will look for something more to my liking, I would like it to be like the Cable weatherproof ones that come on the trailer from the factory. Plus I want it in white color as to match the other ones, I may just get another factory cable one and change it over to a USB one.

trainman