Towing the Elite1

So, I have read several threads on towing. Still a little confused. My gift is not math!

I know the question is not simple, but let me try to ask it--

If I get a vehicle (perhaps Subaru Accent) with a 5,000 lb towing capacity, and the Elite is 3700 lbs dry weight, how much extra weight (the weight of the two of us, plus accessories etc.) into the vehicle and trailer combined? I read something about an 80% factor of the Gross Weight.

I am sure this is not an easy question, and I know it probably depends on several issue, but perhaps as a general rule?🙂

Thanks!

Dwain

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Tow rating: You need to subtract the weight of any passengers or cargo in the tow vehicle from the tow rating, which is calculated with the weight of a driver only. Also subtract any fluids or cargo in the trailer. 

Ex.: 5000# tow rating - 3700# dry weight - 150# passenger - 50# cargo in the vehicle - 266# fresh water - 200# food/clothes/etc. in the trailer = 634# capacity left. 

Gross vehicle weight is the curb weight of the vehicle, plus whatever you put in the vehicle, plus the tongue weight of the trailer. 

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

There’s some additional info needed in order to answer your question.  You didn’t mention the payload rating of your Subaru.  There will be a sticker on the driver’s door jamb that looks like the photo below that will state “weight of passengers and cargo must not exceed……”.  That will tell you how much weight you can safely put IN your tow vehicle.  You must count the tongue weight of the Elite I in that limit.  Most calculations assume a tongue weight that is about 10% of the trailer weight.   So if you have a dry camper weight of 3700 lbs, plus 266 lbs of fresh water plus 200 lbs of food & clothes, that gives a trailer weight of 4166 lbs, so a tongue weight of about 416 lbs.   That tongue weight plus driver plus passenger and anything else in the Subaru count towards the payload limit.   Most people with smaller tow vehicles exceed their payload limit without realizing it.

image.thumb.jpeg.9aff296f4744797f80d26d324e1bfa15.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators

@Dwain Kitchens, my 2008 elite 1 weighed in around 3900 pounds, (cat scale), loaded for camping, with some water (not all tanks full, partial grey and fresh.)

We've towed with three vehicles. A Volvo xc90 ( heavy, and somewhat anemic t5,  4900 tow capacity), 2005 chevy Silverado(7500 tow capacity, 5.3 v8) , and a 2008 4 x 4 dodge ram 1500 hemi, 5.7). 

Best tow vehicles are in reverse order of what I listed. The Ram has been stellar.

I would say that unless you really plan to stay on flatland, get a vehicle with a higher tow rating than the Subaru, and make sure that whatever you buy has a true tow package (not just a hitch.)

Google "Subaru ascent towing issues" and you'll likely find lots of negatives from actual users, imo.

I'd be looking at a truck, or, at the least, a SUV with a higher tow capacity than the Subaru.

80 per cent is just part of the equation. Tow vehicle Weight vs trailer weight, length of wheel base, transmission,  etc., all impact the joy and safety of towing.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

You need to understand that the tow ratings are for ideal situations, low, flat and no wind, and that as you go up in altitude the rating decreases, typically a 20% decrease by the time you reach 10,000 feet.. This is why you need to buy more truck than you think you need.

https://thebossmagazine.com/impact-of-weather-terrain-towing-performance/amp/

My Land Cruiser has a big V8 and it is just barely OK for the big trailer in the mountainous West. It would be perfect for an LE1!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I am of the persuasion one can never have enough tow vehicle, (within reason) so with that in mind and as others have suggested I would not use an Ascent to tow the Elite 1. I like Subarus just not for towing. Trucks or heavier duty SUV would be a far better choice. Hope this helps.

• Like 6

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

So, the 80 per cent rule bit tonight. Not us. And, different scenario. 

Around 5, my husband was upstairs, I was downstairs,  and we both heard a big metallic crash. Couldn't find anything around the house or yard to explain it.

Then, my neighbor 3 doors down texted for our help. Their two year old boat lift collapsed, and they asked for help.

They had it built to 20 per cent over capacity, but... well...

Their boat is now tied up in my backyard/extra slip. 

Thank goodness no one was on it, when it dropped and collapsed. No one hurt, boat seems fine. We'll see tomorrow what the installing company determines as the fail point.

Extra capacity is always good. 

I'm still in the "love the one you're with" group if your current TV is adequate, but, if you're buying new, size up. Imo.

Better capacity, (towing and payload) just makes for a more carefree, enjoyable, and safer experience. 

With the Silverado or the Ram, we have no doubt we can accelerate or stop when necessary.  The Volvo was another story.

And, we don't enjoy the slow truck lane.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

6 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Then, my neighbor 3 doors down texted for our help. Their two year old boat lift collapsed, and they asked for help.

They had it built to 20 per cent over capacity, but... well...

Their boat is now tied up in my backyard/extra slip. 

Thank goodness no one was on it, when it dropped and collapsed. No one hurt, boat seems fine. We'll see tomorrow what the installing company determines as the fail point.

I am sure that I am not the only one here who would like to see a few pictures.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

It is not mine to share. Their boat is in my backyard slip.

Drive tube  failed, tensioner bolt and washer blew through the steel tube. Hopefully,  covered under warranty as a manufacturer defect.

• Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

It is not mine to share. Their boat is in my backyard slip.

Drive tube  failed, tensioner bolt and washer blew through the steel tube. Hopefully,  covered under warranty as a manufacturer defect.

Oh my goodness. Thankfully no one got hurt! 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan