plumbing odors

We have horrendous odors coming from under the sink and around the cabinetry.  It becomes worse when the the fan is on drawing air from outside to inside.  We had a leak a few weeks ago from the sink which dripped into a drawer.  My husband, Chris, was able to fix the leak, but the odor still exists.  Any suggestions of where to start looking?  I believe the two issues i.e., leak and odor are completely separate.  The odor issue was first.  A few weeks later we discovered the leak. Thanks for anyone's insight.

IMG_7587.thumb.jpeg.9d23e68fdc70876ef18c60e9b8a62fb8.jpegChris and Lisa

2022 Oliver Elite II; Hull #1191; TV-2019 Toyota Tundra

Other Trailer: Camp-Inn 550 Teardrop

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
4 minutes ago, Chris and Lisa said:

Any suggestions of where to start looking? 

I would pull out all of the drawers and look for water damage to the wood framing under the sink with a headlamp.  Even with the plumbing leak repaired, there may be residual water damage that has allowed mold or mildew to grow. Also, remove the plywood panel under the sink, on the floor of the cabinet,  that enables access to the receptacle that powers the fridge.  You may find the source of the odor there.

Also, ensure that your gray and black water tanks are empty.  Even standing gray water can stink, especially during the summer months.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderator+
6 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Also, ensure that your gray and black water tanks are empty.  Even standing gray water can stink, especially during the summer months.

This is good advice. Even though the smells are different, gray water can stink as badly or worse than black. This is caused from allowing food particles to go down the drain when washing or rinsing dishes in the sink. The food goes into the gray tank and begins to rot (think old dumpster in the alley behind a bar.)

I wouldn't hesitate to sanitize the gray and black tanks with chlorine just like you would the fresh water tank.

Let us know if you get resolution.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Look under the dinette seat and trace the gray pipe from the bath into gray tank.  Ensure that it is firmly seated into the top of the tank.  When our trailer was made that connection was just a friction connection, the pipe was jammed into the top of the tank.  A year or two ago that connection came lose after some bumpy roads.  The gray tank pipe from the bath was out of its hole with part of the pipe on top of the tank.  It is now permanently attached!

We use Happy Camper in both black and gray at the end of trips, keeps the odors in check.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We sanitize our fresh water tank twice a year and are also very careful about wiping dishes and silverware of food particles.  My wife, Paula, suggested we might drain our freshwater tank after the first step of treatment into the grey water tank as an additional treatment step and the drain the grey water tank.  It seems like a good idea so we have added this step to our sanitation schedule.  

• Like 2

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Everyone for your replies and recommendations.  User error on our part for not properly cleaning all tanks … black, grey, fresh.  Cleaned our fresh water supply as directed, flushed the grey 3 or more times.  It took a while for all the gasses to leave.  Now we are diligently using Grey water TST.  Black tank never an issue, but using proper treatment for that as well.  

I also scrape and wipe every food particle from dishes before washing.  Something, as a former State Park employee, had to explain to every incoming camper.  It was to minimize crow and ravens’ attraction to the park i.e. protect other birds from their predatory nature.  I should know better.

Also, the vent under counter on the right side was not properly aligned which was allowing gases to escape into the cabin.  My husband fixed it, thank you Oliver and Mr Davies for pointing him in the right direction.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

IMG_7587.thumb.jpeg.9d23e68fdc70876ef18c60e9b8a62fb8.jpegChris and Lisa

2022 Oliver Elite II; Hull #1191; TV-2019 Toyota Tundra

Other Trailer: Camp-Inn 550 Teardrop