Easy and quick camping food items to keep in the pantry

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Some nights, after a long day of adventures,  I don't feel like slicing and dicing.

One of my favorites is Idahoan Red Mashed potatoes, as a side for something on the grill. Two cups of boiling  water in the tea kettle, a big dollop of sour cream and a bit of butter, stir, cover, and stir again,  good to go.  So easy, and tasty.

I also love the microwave rice packets, though I don't have a microwave.  I just add a little water, and heat. 

Both store in the pantry, and require no refrigeration.

Screenshot_20230809_163500_Chrome.jpg

• Like 8

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

One of my favorites is Idahoan Red Mashed potatoes,

And I've thought for the past several years that I was the only one that was/is so plebian.😊

I swore to myself after the time I spent in the Army that I'd never eat anything freeze dried again (especially eggs).  But, these things are actually rather good.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

"No refrigeration " and "quick and easy" is sometimes for the win!

I remember one really cold, rainy, and  windy night in Canada, when we tried repeatedly to start a fire with wet pine. It was a no go situation. Although late summer, it was really cold.

We had dried soup mix, on the stovetop. Satisfying and good. And hot. 

I always have some in the Ollie, and I carry it in my luggage when we fly and camp... Iceland, Scandinavia,  Australia, etc.. There's always water, somewhere.  Stores may not be open. Especially landing on Sunday.  

Made freeze dried chili in Norway, in a dry cabin, one night, after landing in Bergen, and driving an hour and a half toward my cousins. No real stores open, en route.

Good to have, as backup.

Not our usual meals, but they are great in certain circumstances. 

Tonight's camping dinner, everything fresh. Vegetables from my neighbors ' organic garden.

20230809_183957.jpg

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Agree about the potatoes and the microwave rice...  Sometimes I'm just not hungry and I'll have some ramen noodles- reminds me of the hungry school days!

Another favorite of mine is the hot dog, or "tube steak" 🤣 with a slice of cheese melted on there.

• Like 4

2023 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull #1405, "Rocinante"  TV: 2022 F-150 5.0 V8 4x4

States Visited MapMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shhQuiet said:

Agree about the potatoes and the microwave rice...  Sometimes I'm just not hungry and I'll have some ramen noodles- reminds me of the hungry school days!

Another favorite of mine is the hot dog, or "tube steak" 🤣 with a slice of cheese melted on there.

I do like to eat - but - I really do NOT like to cook.  I fully understand that there are those who get into that cooking thing and I really do appreciate it when they feel sorry for me.

My wife found some of THESE (in the chicken flavor) at some discount store.  Throw in some hunks of real cooked chicken and its a quick decent meal fast.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

@Steph and Dud B, the Barilla precooked pasta is a winner. Without a microwave, (like me) you can heat sauce, and heat the pasta in it. 

I also like the Ronzini 3 minute pastas, which usually take more like 5 minutes to cook, but less than half the time of my home favorites,  bronze cut semolina pastas. (I'll take some of those, cooled at home, in flat baggies with a little evoo, but they only keep a week or so in the fridge.)

The Hormel Compleats are a good choice for some, but too much sodium for our diet. I do like their Hormel no salt added canned chicken (as well as the Costco canned chicken) for adding protein to a quick meal.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Again prior to my last trip my wife 😍 got me one of these (meatloaf and gravy with mashed potatoes).  Certainly not the best I've ever eaten, but, surprisingly decent and certainly quick.

Bill

• Like 2

I like Saffron Road simmer sauces.  I combine the curry or the lemon grass basil with some shelf-stable tofu and whatever fresh/frozen veggies I might have on hand.  Serve it over some pre-cooked rice, and you have a very tasty meal.

https://www.saffronroad.com/products/variety-pack

https://www.lundberg.com/products/organic-white-thai-jasmine-rice

Yum!

• Like 3

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

When in the Southwest I stock up on packets of these from the local Walmart. They are under $3/packet when buying from the store. Very tasty and you can either make as a side or as a soup by adding extra water. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mexicali-Rose-Instant-Mexican-Homestyle/dp/B00FD7EFWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1LHV4DWGY7DOZ&keywords=refried+beans+freeze+dried&qid=1692298981&sprefix=refried+beans+freeze%2Caps%2C1220&sr=8-4

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
1 hour ago, VBistro said:

I like Saffron Road simmer sauces.  I combine the curry or the lemon grass basil with some shelf-stable tofu and whatever fresh/frozen veggies I might have on hand.  Serve it over some pre-cooked rice, and you have a very tasty meal.

Yum!

My daughter is a huge fan of saffron road products. I have Lundberg wild rice mix in my cupboard at home, all the time. 

As you said, yum.

@Mountainman198, I've never seen the mexicali rose packets in the east. Maybe it's a regional thing. Packets are much easier to deal with than cans.

I could see that as a quick and easy soup dinner. Add a can of Rotel, maybe some fresh chopped jalapeño,  add a can of pinto or chili beans, some water, and voila (I think) a nice, hearty meatfree but high protein caldo for dinner. 

I might even try it tonight, with canned fat free refried beans. I have corn tortillas to cut and fry as garnish,  and there's (almost) always sour cream and hot sauce around.  And canned hatch chili's.:) might even sprinkle in some leftover frozen corn, and fresh cilantro....

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

4 hours ago, VBistro said:

Yum!

That sounds scrumptious! We just picked up some Ben’s pre-cooked jasmine rice today for our outing Sunday to Thursday. There’s a local Mediterranean restaurant here that serves filet mignon kabobs on jasmine rice and shredded red cabbage. Mmmm! We’re going to recreate it on the Skottle, but with sautéed onions and mushrooms instead of cabbage. 

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg