Boon-docking at Last!

Boudicca908

Just a brief hello as I prepare to be without power for about a month. Won't be able to participate in the forum as much, unless I manage from my phone. 

Black Hills SD, Devils Tower WY, Wapiti campground (west of Cody), West Yellowstone MT, and someplace in the Grand Tetons WY before turning south and east. 

Many heartfelt thanks to all the great members here for your help, encouragement and advice as I begin this next segment of the journey.   I'm thrilled! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 12

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I assume that you have a reservation at Wapiti and (as you may know) they do have a number of sites there that have power.  There is another National Forest Service campground west of Wapiti - Rex Hale - that has 6 or 7 electric sites if you need them but they are usually reserved well in advance.  If push comes to shove and you really need power (or dump or laundry, you can head back east a few miles to Yellowstone Valley Inn.

My favorite campground in West Yellowstone is Baker's Hole - north of the town by about 2 miles (just beyond the airport).  Site 50 or 51 will get you a wonderful view into Yellowstone National Park and stunning sunsets.  There are also a few electric sites there but (again) they are usually reserved well in advance.  The best laundry in West Yellowstone is "Little Ducklings" (520 Madison Ave).  There are two grocery stores in town if you need to restock.  Propane refills can be obtained at Westmart Building Center (100 S. Faithful Street - its an ACE Hardware store) or at the Mobil Gas station (11 Yellowstone Ave).

If you do the research, there are a number of places to boondock near the Grand Tetons.  One of my favorite places is a decommissioned National Forest Service camp called Box Creek.  It is located approximately 10 miles east on Buffalo Valley Road.

If you plan to fish, PM me for suggestions.

Have a great trip!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

If you get to Yellowstone and need a site with power there’s a nice Idaho state park just about 10 or 15 miles to the west.  Ralph’s Lake State Park, W/E plus they have new shower buildings.  I don’t think they take reservations, we had no problem getting in.  It was only a 20 minute drive to Yellowstone.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
On 9/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Have fun!

They simply can't miss having fun going where their going.  Unless, of course, they comes face to face with a griz!😒

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Ralph’s Lake State Park

I ended up changing my reservation from Bakers Hole (dry camping) to Rainbow Point, Gallatin NF in MT. This gained an electrical connection (no water connection, but I already winterized). Driving in, the rain turned to sleet. I’ll be happy using my space heater in the morning!
I have weak cell service  here, so no photos to share today, but I’ll try to post some later. This NF cg seems nice, but a warning: the road in was severely washboarded — slow going. I think I was going about 5 mph; no contents out of place when I landed. There’s a lake, and footpaths to access it from each cg loop.

• Like 6

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

• Moderators

There actually are a few water/electric sites in Baker's Hole Campground.  But, they are hard to come by in that all sites there are first come/first served.

There is some terrific fishing near you!

Bill

• Like 2

Near Asheville, NC

You won’t believe this…. Here I am, snug in a campground with power (not exactly boondocking), using my space heater to bring the temperature up above 45, and then I made a mistake! I started to make hot water with my induction burner. Yup. Lost all power to my outlets. It flipped one 15amp breaker. I can’t get the GFI outlet to reset (that’s the one that the service center halfway jerked out of the wall under the dinette) — but it was working, and I can’t flip the 15amp breaker back on. 

Tonight it’s supposed to be pretty cold. So instead of checking out the environs, I’m going to be trying to figure this out today. Bummer. 

3 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I’m going to be trying to figure this out today

SOLVED! 
I had to turn off all breakers, turn off and disconnect from main 30amp power supply, then reset everything… and it worked! But I do have a question: 

There are (2) fuses in the aft dinette’s fuse box, for receptacles (?) — labeled #9 & 10 (2022 Elite II) — they are solid black — how can you tell if they are blown, when you can’t see through them? 

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

There are (2) fuses in the aft dinette’s fuse box, for receptacles (?) — labeled #9 & 10 (2022 Elite II) — they are solid black — how can you tell if they are blown, when you can’t see through them? 

Can you supply some pictures of the equipment you are referring to?  Are you referring to breakers as I don’t think I have ever seen black fuses.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

Can you supply some pictures

I’ll try … it’s the black one. (The blue one was provided in my spare fuse kit from OTT.) I tried a local hardware as well as NAPA, neither carry it or know about it. 
It’s in the fuse box, with all the other fuses. I don’t believe it’s blown, but I want to understand how it differs from the other fuses, and how to gauge when it is blown. 

IMG_7280.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Moderators

Snapaction mini circuit breaker, at2, 15 amp, type 2. Remote reset. Technically, not  a fuse, but a circuit breaker.

https://www.snapaction.net/

Not surprised NAPA didn't have one.

The 07092 isn't a part number. It's the manufacturer zip code.

Screenshot_20230922_210925_Samsung Notes.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.