SAE or Metric sizes on OTT vs. its Appliances

SNY SD UP

1)    OTT - Wondering if the various Nuts & Bolts used on/in the "OTT" are all SAE, or are there some metrics mixed in?

2)    Appliances - The Dometic Stove model D21 definitely has Metric Screws threads which come up thru the bottom to hold the heating elements in place, but the screw head can be either Philips or Torx.        At this time, I do not have any experience with the WH or AC, but if made in 

I have heard, if I buy a robust Metric Socket set, those sizes will accommodate most of the SAE sizes.  Not sure if that is for true going from SAE to Metric.

Do any of you carry both?

Have any of you created a mixed hybrid of both where there is not an (SAE-Metric) equivalent.

Thanks for the replies,

Bryan

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderator+

I personally can’t envision not having exactly the right tool for any and every job I do. You’ll soon learn that using the wrong size socket will quickly round off the flats on either bolt heads or nuts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

For this purpose while on the road - I bought a cheap Harbor Freight "set" that includes both metric and SAE plus a hammer, set of screw drivers, etc. - something like THIS ONE

While at home I've already got both sizes covered in both regular and deep sockets.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

14 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

are all SAE, or are there some metrics mixed in?

When replacing the stock grease zerks on the Dexter Axle suspension with angled zerks, I found some to be SAE and others metric. A return trip to Grainger’s got it done!

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

7 hours ago, topgun2 said:

For this purpose while on the road - I bought a cheap Harbor Freight "set" that includes both metric and SAE plus a hammer, set of screw drivers, etc. - something like THIS ONE

That's exactly what we carry, too. Just used it yesterday, in fact.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

On 10/10/2023 at 9:40 AM, topgun2 said:

While at home I've already got both sizes covered in both regular and deep sockets.

Bill

I have that set, too, bought to service my Oliver, with both SAE and metric sockets. I thought it was branded like that b/c I live in Pittsburgh!!  Guess not!  It’s been helpful, but be careful to leave it handle side up. If left on its side or upside down, all the lower sockets will fall out upon opening!!  
Geoff 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, GeoffChapman said:

I have that set, too, bought to service my Oliver, with both SAE and metric sockets. I thought it was branded like that b/c I live in Pittsburgh!!  Guess not!  It’s been helpful, but be careful to leave it handle side up. If left on its side or upside down, all the lower sockets will fall out upon opening!!  
Geoff 

Yes, they do.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, GeoffChapman said:

but be careful to leave it handle side up. If left on its side or upside down, all the lower sockets will fall out upon opening!!  

At first I thought that I'd eventually remember to turn that case right side up before opening it but, then, I simply put a strap on it.  The "fun" of putting all those Pittsburgh sockets back in the individual places where they belonged soon lost its appeal!🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC