Holy Crap - P**p Pyramids

• The title was changed to Holy Crap - P**p Pyramids
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

We add some Calgon and a detergent pod after dumping.  Unless we’re at a dump station with a line, we rinse the black tank until clear.  When we get back from a trip we add Happy Camper and a gallon or two of water into both the gray and black tanks.  I don’t like the smell of Pine-sol, not sure I like that recommendation.  Mike

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

A bag of ice dropped in the tank on the last trip home works, or at least it worked in 1988 when I last owned a trailer with a conventional crapper.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

@Cameron, I have both. 

"Composting" in the barn, and traditional in the Ollie.

Perfectly happy, 16 seasons in, with the traditional dump system in  our Ollie. 

Not very happy with the composter/dry toilet, in the barn.

Pick your poison, imo. No poop pyramids in decades of ownership. 

Plenty of liquids in. Rinse within reason. Some campground dump stations are vault, vs septic. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I use one of these to backflush the tanks and then use the Pine-Sol and Calgon solution mentioned in the article after each use. No issues so far and never have any funky odors.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 07-32-29 Amazon.com Valterra Flush King™ 45 Degree Reverse Flush Valve Attachment for RV Camper Trailer Automotive.png

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

40 minutes ago, CRM said:

I use one of these to backflush the tanks

Same here - The Flush King works great.  We get no odors after flushing clear - takes 3 to 4 fills.  

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On an Ollie, back flushing inwards (forward) from the rear main outlet connection risks pushing our enemies E. coli up into the grey tank. Not a good result. Not recommended. Don’t do it, there is a very good reason Oliver put the black flush fitting up at the tank itself. On an SOB RV with completely separated dump valves it will work safely.

If you have a NH toilet, you can rinse out the big pipes easily with a garden hose nozzle by directing the stream forward a few times. That will act to rinse the back sides of the grey and black dump valves, where crud will accumulate unseen and untreated. I wouldn’t try this with a regular toilet. Yech.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

On an Ollie, back flushing inwards (forward) from the rear main outlet connection risks pushing our enemies E. coli up into the grey tank. Not a good result. Not recommended. Don’t do it,

Definitely correct.  Should have been more accurate in the previous discussion - my bad.  We use the OTT-provided black tank flush to fill the tank 3 or 4 times until viewed clear effluent is observed in the plexiglas port.  We don't use the back flush hose adapter on the unit for exactly what JD is describing above...  We use the device when dumping at home because of the long run from the trailer to the dump head - just makes it more convenient and easy having it closer to the valves.

• Like 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

8 hours ago, John E Davies said:

On an Ollie, back flushing inwards (forward) from the rear main outlet connection risks pushing our enemies E. coli up into the grey tank. Not a good result. Not recommended. Don’t do it, there is a very good reason Oliver put the black flush fitting up at the tank itself. On an SOB RV with completely separated dump valves it will work safely.

If you have a NH toilet, you can rinse out the big pipes easily with a garden hose nozzle by directing the stream forward a few times. That will act to rinse the back sides of the grey and black dump valves, where crud will accumulate unseen and untreated. I wouldn’t try this with a regular toilet. Yech.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I'm more concerned with my tanks gunking up which also poses a risk for contamination building up in the tank. Even after using the built in back flushing it takes 3 fill/drains for the black tank to run clear. When I back flush I do the grey tank first, then the black, and I then mix a five gallon bucket of water with 1 1/2 cups of beach and dump some down each drain. That sits in the grey tank for a while and is dumped last. I know people who don't bother with bleach step and have had no issues. YMMV.

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, CRM said:

I'm more concerned with my tanks gunking up which also poses a risk for contamination building up in the tank. Even after using the built in back flushing it takes 3 fill/drains for the black tank to run clear. When I back flush I do the grey tank first, then the black, and I then mix a five gallon bucket of water with 1 1/2 cups of beach and dump some down each drain. That sits in the grey tank for a while and is dumped last. I know people who don't bother with bleach step and have had no issues. YMMV.

Because of the relatively small size of the black tank, folks are often hesitant to add enough "liquid ".  Can't say if this is true for your use. (Ie, guys always peeing in the woods, etc.)

If a user reserves the black tank only for the black, well, they  just  may not  get enough liquid in there, with a light foot on the pedal.

we all figure it out, eventually.  There's a balance. 

Truth is for us, dump when grey is close to full, dump black first, rinse as available.  Some dump stations don't have a hose fitting for rinsing, as they're vault systems. Stick a hose through the bath window and add water if black isn't full. (You can see, if toilet valve us open. Turn off pump, so you dont drain freshwater.)

And please, dont use freshwater fill for your toilet rinse or through the window,  if there is one at the dump station.  Just restrict yourself to the nonpotable hose. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

15 hours ago, CRM said:

I know people who don't bother with bleach step and have had no issues.

We like the bleach step, for sure and for certain....

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

• Moderators

Bleach is for sanitizing,  only, and often corrosive to seals.

I prefer the calgon /detergent method, personally. Calgon can be hard to find. If we can't find it, I mix borax in hot water. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

+1 on pinesol odor. Noxious, to me.

Back  in March 1, 2020, height of covid beginning,  I had a house full of guests,,flying and driving back to Minnesota. I sent hand sanitizers,,clorox wipes, lysol spray, etc.,  with everyone. 

Come March 3, nothing anti microbial available but pinesol. It does kill covid, given an extraordinary period of time, but, omg, the stench. 

ABSOLUTELY last resort,  in my little trailer. And, worthless, if it doesn't sit for an extended period of time.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4