Problem with Kitchen Sink Rusting

Reddmom

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

It is actually rusting.  The new rust has appeared on the flat edge of the top mount and not in the bowl.  Since it is under warranty, we have a service planned with Oliver.  I was just hoping to find out if we were doing something wrong.  The last outing was my husband at a KOA facility so I cannot speak to the water quality.

We had the same issue when we first had our trailer. We use barkeepers friend for this issue at the suggestion of Jason at Oliver and others on this forum and the issue has resolved.  We still use bar keepers friend if the issue returns.

• Like 4

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

• Moderators

Barkeeper's friend,,seal with ceramabryte stainless steel cleaner. 

We have two stainless utility sinks from costco.  No issues from either. A friend bought the same one, and got a stripe of rust down the front. Different water. He did the above method. All good.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, KenB said:

I have a little experience with corroded stainless steel.  My experience is from when I TIG welded the stainless steel brewing fittings together for my home brewery.  I already knew how to weld mild steel, but had to research the specifics of welding stainless steel and how to maintain its stainless characteristics.

Are you using a chlorine bleach based cleaner on your sink?  Stop doing that.  Chlorine can dissolve the protective oxides on a stainless steel surface, exposing the metal surface to the environment which leads to rust.  How about cleaning the sink with steel wool?  That's not good either.  Iron fragments can get microscopically lodged in the stainless which leads to rust.  Use a ScotchBrite pad or bronze wool instead.

In order to passivate (establish the protective chromium oxide layer) the recently cleaned spot on your stainless steel sink, you need to use a product containing oxalic acid.  As mentioned earlier, Bar Keepers friend is one product.  Others include Klein King Stainless and Copper Cleaner, and Revere Copper and Stainless Steel cleaner.  Bar Keepers friend comes in a powder and a liquid.  I always make a paste out of the  powder and scrub the area clean with a ScotchBrite pad to passivate any recently welded stainless steel fittings.  

A paste of Barkeepers Friend powder and a green ScotchBrite scrubby pad should take care of the issue on your sink.  Just keep the chlorine bleach products away from anything stainless steel.  

HTH, Ken

I can't add anything to this.  Well written and explained.

• Like 5

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, KenB said:

A paste of Barkeepers Friend powder and a green ScotchBrite scrubby pad should take care of the issue on your sink.  Just keep the chlorine bleach products away from anything stainless steel.  

Oh the things we learn here.  Excellent explanation!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS