Bathroom Heat - a more direct approach!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
On 2/3/2024 at 12:02 AM, Snackchaser said:

Our 2022 Elite II has the Dometic furnace, but I suspect that other furnace brands could have similar ducting issues and it might be worth taking a look.

Our 2022 Elite II has the Truma Varioheat furnace.  The Truma ducting is smaller, more substantial and, from what I can see in the photos, better installed.  

In addition to the mods detailed above, I recommend you consider adding a return air vent from the bath to the underside of the front dinette seat.   Our Truma Varioheat system came with that additional return air vent.  It really helps the flow of heated air.

Bathroom Return Air Vent From Underneath Front Dinette Seat.jpg

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

@Snackchaser were you able to get to or see the "reducer" on the way to the bathroom duct? I guess it just goes to smaller diameter ducting, so nothing you can do about it anyway.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

It is "standard" operating procedure, in hot air ducting, to decrease duct size the further it gets from the heat source. The same amount of air in the 4" duct gets put into the 3" duct. This increases the velocity and helps move the heated air along. I just hope the is a direct path out of the bathroom and back to the return duct. Also hope that air is returned through the cabin and not through the basement. The return air is going to suck the air with the least resistance. Hopefully it is not the air from the drain 'scuppers'. That air might be 40°, or more,  cooler than cabin air, and the basement air might be 20° or more. The warmer the return air the more efficient the furnace is at heating. 

5 hours ago, jd1923 said:

@Snackchaser were you able to get to or see the "reducer" on the way to the bathroom duct? I guess it just goes to smaller diameter ducting, so nothing you can do about it anyway.

Yes, it's directly attached to the Tee for the kitchen register.   The 3" duct goes on to the bathroom through some sort of firewall and it's not easily reached.

There was enough slack in the 3" duct to pull the Tee (with attached reducer) out through the access port that's under the forward kitchen drawers.  The space is tight, and you will need to detach the 4" side from the furnace to get enough slack on that side.  You can make most of the new connections while it's out.

You'll need to disconnect the kitchen register first.  The screw holding the duct to the register can be reached through the access port, but it's easier to replace it from the inside of the register, rather than trying to do it blindly from inside the access port.

Cheers, Geoff

Here's a photo that I forgot to add in the original post:

0E07AA77-E3D6-4DFF-A433-A8A041E1A4A5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d19065c07d237dbf2e93b1b1ea1d99b4.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1