Will the Norcold refrigerator/freezer be able to chill down my "blue ice" pack?

6 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I have installed similar fans, and am thinking of doing both sides.  Purpose obviously is to reduce the bypass of outside air into and then out of the fans so that they pull fresh air in below.  I also know that there have been changes in the grills between your and my older OE2.

Hard to tell, but it looks like you have blocked off airflow on the aft side of the fans, but maybe not on the fore side.  Is that what I'm seeing?  IF so, what's your thoughts?

Thanks

GJ

image.png.e3c1db1588bc09aaf8d261da20ec24a7.png

@Geronimo John, the airflow around the fans is unobstructed.  I suspect what you are seeing is the sloped interior wall above the refrigerator covered in aluminum tape.  The fans do pull outside air into the lower vent and out the upper vent, where they are mounted.  The flow of air is noticeable and I usually have them running at 50% of max speed, or less.  The two fans easily produce sufficient airflow to significantly improve the performance of the refrigerator.

Don 

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

As @SeaDawg mentioned earlier, an interior fan can be installed, as well. I have the Norcold 3 way, which does not have a refrigerator light to access power for this fan; thus the wire will need to connect to a constant power source behind the fridge. Thanks to @MAX Burner for pointing that out. Hopefully there will be a convenient routing path without having to drill a hole to gain access for power. Mounting this fan is easy, alligator clips to the evaporator fins. 

My combo:

IMG_5448.thumb.jpeg.8252ff773438fc8410f6816884a92491.jpeg

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

FYI: Our experience shows these low-current draw fans allows the fridge a higher efficiency for any given ambient conditions - also makes me wonder why the heck they're not included as OEM from Dometic and Norcold back in the day....(?)

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

also makes me wonder why the heck they're not included as OEM from Dometic and Norcold back in the day....(?)

I can't speak for Norcold - but - I do believe that the fan(s) were OEM from Dometic back in the day.  And, this is the reason that many of us had those fans at delivery.  Either that or it was an option from Dometic that Oliver chose to install.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2024 at 8:48 AM, MAX Burner said:

Last summer, we mounted the same low-amp draw Beechlane double-fan assy in our upper fridge compartment with the remote mounted in the lower compartment

On 3/14/2024 at 8:48 AM, MAX Burner said:

Screenshot2024-03-14at7_38_24AM.thumb.png.15a54929511d06e14433d3cb67308d76.png

I checked if my fans would fit on the cover/vent in like manner as you, but unable to make it work without some trimming. Next tried fitment as @dhaig shows in his above pic, but now thinking laying it flat may be more efficient. What think you? (A change was made to my initial post once I realized you both had the fans facing the same direction, my bad)

Edited by Ronbrink
I realized the fans are oriented the same, but have another question.

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

On 6/20/2024 at 5:36 AM, Ronbrink said:

I checked if my fans would fit on the cover/vent in like manner as you, but unable to make it work without some trimming.

Upon completion of wiring requirements I was able to test the fans both upright (as @MAX Burner and @dhaig mounted theirs), and laying flat and facing upward; the upright orientation seemed to produce better airflow through the upper vent. The panel control was routed into the cabinet above the microwave for easy access and convenience of use; the blue tape is temporary, I will likely use either Velcro or a hook to stage it at the upper front corner when unneeded. 

IMG_5832.thumb.jpeg.f5857132335deacbb13403e775d87ce4.jpeg

IMG_5813.thumb.jpeg.c92d76acece0b84e8d393838f5170190.jpeg

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4