Ollie Shack

Well, so it begins. I've read lots of others posts, put a lot of thought into it, put down some cash, and have started building the Ollie Shack. Living in northern Minnesota, I wanted to keep my LEII and TV out of the MN winters and in my building where I can tinker with all of my mountain bikes throughout the year and a place I can also do some different how-to videos for my YouTube channel. We have an attached garage now for our two daily drivers so this will be an add on. 30x40 with a 12' ceiling. I was going to build it myself but would rather be camping and biking in the summer and the wife doesn't want me up on a roof that high. Go figure! Should be done over the next month, weather permitting. So looking forward to the extra space!

Shack 1.jpg

Shack 2.jpg

Edited by Half Fast Hugo
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Love 2

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
6 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Something I dream about!  

Yeah, it's been a long time coming. I've put it off building another garage for quite awhile but now it makes sense since we got the Ollie last summer along with the additional space for other stuff.

• Like 2

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

Good for you, a shop is the only way to go.  I do not have to contend with the cold and snow, but here in Texas we have the heat and sun to deal with.  Mine is  40 x 60, with 14 ft doors on each end so I can drive through…….no backing up at all.

Steve R.

Northeast Texas.

29E9235B-DD03-461F-AF12-4DCBBF806276.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel 

We'd love to retro-in another door for the Man Cave - definitely on our radar.  A drive-through is the top-shelf option, IMO.  My only concern at this point is loosing the existing back wall which currently is floor to ceiling with metal storage racks...  Someday, for sure.

Screenshot2024-04-23at10_51_37PM.thumb.png.b084fc6844d84a7ddd62416f987645f9.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

5 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

We'd love to retro-in another door for the Man Cave - definitely on our radar.  A drive-through is the top-shelf option, IMO.  My only concern at this point is loosing the existing back wall which currently is floor to ceiling with metal storage racks...  Someday, for sure.

That's a nice one! I can't do a drive through either. Sure would be awesome and we have the property for it. The biggest issue is the amount of fill I would have to bring in due to the rolling terrain. This spot was the best for what I wanted to do at a reasonable cost. I'm having contractors build the shell and I'll do the insulation, wiring, heating, and finishing the walls/ceiling. I have lots of ideas so we'll see how it takes shape.

• Like 3

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

1 hour ago, Half Fast Hugo said:

That's a nice one! I can't do a drive through either. Sure would be awesome and we have the property for it. The biggest issue is the amount of fill I would have to bring in due to the rolling terrain. This spot was the best for what I wanted to do at a reasonable cost. I'm having contractors build the shell and I'll do the insulation, wiring, heating, and finishing the walls/ceiling. I have lots of ideas so we'll see how it takes shape.

Are you going to 'spray foam' the walls & ceiling.  I see we are about 1° in latitude of each other.  
One delta is, you have the 'water effect' and we have 'flat plains effect'.  So moisture vs. NONE.  But we still get -10~20° for weeks at a time. 
I believe spray foam and a boiler system for floor heat is the way to go.  SNYSDUP winters-over in that environment, I just do not own it...

Are those trees, or tilling's in the background between excavator body & bucket? 

Regards,

Bryan

• Like 3

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

14 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

Are you going to 'spray foam' the walls & ceiling.  I see we are about 1° in latitude of each other.  
One delta is, you have the 'water effect' and we have 'flat plains effect'.  So moisture vs. NONE.  But we still get -10~20° for weeks at a time. 
I believe spray foam and a boiler system for floor heat is the way to go.  SNYSDUP winters-over in that environment, I just do not own it...

Are those trees, or tilling's in the background between excavator body & bucket? 

Regards,

Bryan

Those are trees back there. We live on 21.5 acres but it's pretty uneven. I'm actually doing wood 2x6 wall studs with a plywood/shingled roof on energy heel trusses and will use either fiberglass insulation or maybe rockwool after I get the electrical in. The slab will have in-floor heat with 2" foam underneath and around the perimeter powered by a 200 amp service coming into the garage. Still pondering the inside ceiling covering and considering metal sheeting but may end up with drywall or plywood.

• Like 1

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

13 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I recommend the widest and tallest door you can get, you never know what you might want to park in there.

For sure. I had some parameters that I had to work within so I went with 10' wide and 10' 6" tall. Adding that extra 6" was the max I could increase the height with a 12' ceiling and that extra 6" required bigger door openers as it was. That should fit the Ollie and my TV without any issues. Might regret it if I ever get anything bigger but I am having them put down class 5 out 12' all the way down the one side in case I ever want to put a lean-to on or if I have any visiting Ollies!

• Like 4

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

14 hours ago, Half Fast Hugo said:

Almost ready to pour concrete!

What?  No grease pit?  HA! just kidding - looks fantastic!  You'll love it being able to work on OTT projects during bad WX, at night, or just whenever you feel like 24/7/365 - we sure do!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

What?  No grease pit?  HA! just kidding - looks fantastic!  You'll love it being able to work on OTT projects during bad WX, at night, or just whenever you feel like 24/7/365 - we sure do!

LOL on the grease pit! Can't wait. They were pouring concrete this morning when I left the house! Walls next!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

A garage/barn bigger than the house? That's my kind of setup! 😀

And thank you for providing an undeniably valuable reason to purchase a drone: to check for leaf/detritus buildup behind the awnings without resorting to the dangerous ladder. Does that sound convincing? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

10 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

And thank you for providing an undeniably valuable reason to purchase a drone: to check for leaf/detritus buildup behind the awnings without resorting to the dangerous ladder. Does that sound convincing? 😂

Right?!?! Exactly why I have one, along with my mountain biking, of course. Although, it was pretty cool to take a good look at the top of the Ollie without a ladder! We're not getting any younger you know...

• Like 2

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

Concrete was poured and cut today. Long day at the college today but, it looks good in the dark. I'll see if I can get some more pictures with the drone tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

That's an awesome drain design -- easier to keep the working area free of debris and generally a cleaner space.  Love it!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

That's an awesome drain design -- easier to keep the working area free of debris and generally a cleaner space.  Love it!

Yeah, I thought it should work pretty good. I have a drain in my attached garage which works really well when the cars melt off in the winter. Not sure how much I'll be going in and out of this one in the winter but, the drain was a do it now or don't do it at all decision just like the in-floor heat plumbing. So, I opted for both and am glad I did now after seeing it done.

Edited by Half Fast Hugo
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

• 1 month later...

Some more recent pictures as things are progressing. Weather has delayed things a bit. They were starting to set trusses today.

Garage 1.jpg

Garage 2.jpg

Garage 3.jpg

Garage 4.jpg

Garage 5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

My friendss barn where I park my OE2 is of the same construction design.  Even with lean-to wings on both long sides, the barn was showning high wind instability due to not having cross bracing.  Summer 2023 we corrected that with a significant amount of them at every corner, and also with horizontal under cross bracing of the trusses above.  Easy to do now with the scaffolding!

Great barn design otherwise.  Your Ollie and you will love it!

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg