Outdoor Shower faucet is cracked

Well, of course I had no time to conduct a proper PMCS (Army maintenance check) on the Ollie until 6 days before departure. Retirement can't come soon enough. 

Now I see the outdoor shower faucet assembly is cracked inside the hull.  I noticed it while bleeding air out of the lines.  Water was poring out of the weep holes in the hull and water dripping over the wall into the basement compartment.   Oh well, not a show shopper.  Only leaks if outdoor shower is turned on, which I seldom use.

Hopefully Camping World (yuck) will have the part on hand.  If not, oh well.  After the the rally. Maintenance, maintenance.  #110 is showing her age.  Maybe I will do a YouTube of it, we'll see.

image.thumb.jpeg.f98e9ea01a869b1042eabfc312ed107f.jpeg

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

#110 is showing her age.

Aren't we all?😁

There just has to be somewhere else to buy that replacement part!  Many times the cost via the Oliver Service department isn't bad.

Bill

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Hulls 110, 113,117 are all old girls!

The crack must have come from fighting with the hose. I’ve been using ours quite a bit lately and the hose will often not fully extend. From your pic, I can see it’s getting caught on the hot side PEX! I’m going to cover or wrap that plumbing with something so the hose can be pulled out unhindered.

hope you can source the cracked part without replacing the entire faucet assembly.

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 1:17 AM, jd1923 said:

Hulls 110, 113,117 are all old girls!

The crack must have come from fighting with the hose. I’ve been using ours quite a bit lately and the hose will often not fully extend. From your pic, I can see it’s getting caught on the hot side PEX! I’m going to cover or wrap that plumbing with something so the hose can be pulled out unhindered.

hope you can source the cracked part without replacing the entire faucet assembly.

I was also thinking of Jerry Rigging cloth strip of something to better support that silver show hose, to take a bit of pressure of that plastic fitting.  Also, I will likely add line marks or colored electrical tape (yellow, then red) as the... "do not pull any farther out" warning markers.  Will work for me.  

I will likely add a bit more silver insulator material on the walls around that shower faucet area.  Just to help a tad bit more keeping things warming in lightly cold weather.  I always keep extra insulator inside the faucet box, inside the door, just to "attempt" to improve thermals.

The new part is on order from the dreaded Amazon.  Camping world did not have the exact part, and I wanted exact if I can get it.  

Edited by Wayfinder
  • Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

On 5/6/2024 at 9:25 AM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I’d check with a plumbing supply house (assuming there’s one nearby), that’s gotta be somewhat common.

I Amazon'd it.  Thanks!  I have little faith in what I can find in my town of Augusta, GA.  

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

1 hour ago, Wayfinder said:

I Amazon'd it.  Thanks!  I have little faith in what I can find in my town of Augusta, GA.  

Out here, Amazon and UPS are my best friends and dance partners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

1 hour ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Out here, Amazon and UPS are my best friends and dance partners.

💯 agree on Amazon, not too many weeks go by without me ordering something from Amazon. But I avoid dealing with UPS and FedEx like the plague! Maybe it’s just because I’m from Canada, but with UPS and FedEx there’s always all kinds of extra charges! 😔

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

17 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

💯 agree on Amazon, not too many weeks go by without me ordering something from Amazon. But I avoid dealing with UPS and FedEx like the plague! Maybe it’s just because I’m from Canada, but with UPS and FedEx there’s always all kinds of extra charges! 😔

Yeah, I don't seem to deal with those extra charges.  Or maybe they're so hidden that ignorance is bliss.  That's how I make it thru life.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

3 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

I was also thinking of Jerry Rigging cloth strip of something to better support that silver show hose, to take a bit of pressure of that plastic fitting.  Also, I will likely add line marks or colored electrical tape (yellow, then red) as the... "do not pull any farther out" warning markers.

Better than tape would be some kind of donut clamped to the hose, so that it cannot be pulled too far.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rich.dev said:

My perspective is a little different, as I  live 10 miles from our farm supply store, and about 14 miles from our only hardware store.  I try to shop local if I know I’m going to find it, so I wait until the shopping list builds up a bit before heading in.  A trip to town is roughly $5.00 round trip (more if I take the F350) so that makes any little charges much less onerous.  

An example is my recent need for a couple of acid brushes.  There weren’t any in town that we could find, and if there had been, I suspect the price might have been maybe 79¢ each.   Yesterday , I ordered a pack of 36 from Amazon for roughly $7.00.  They arrived today.

• Like 3

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

19 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Better than tape would be some kind of donut clamped to the hose, so that it cannot be pulled too far.

I also thought something like that, however there's WAY too much to catch on in that area of a hull, unless the hose was pushed back into a "baggie" like pouch, but still, it's Chinese plastic I'm sure.  It won't last long no matter what.

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

After looking at my picture of the faucet, I think I'll try some support using the faucet housing itself.  Something like this I suppose.

shower-faucet-solution-idea.jpg

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

17 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

After looking at my picture of the faucet, I think I'll try some support using the faucet housing itself.  Something like this I suppose.

shower-faucet-solution-idea.jpg

Or just a simple cradle resting across the two adjacent pipes.

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

On 5/6/2024 at 7:58 AM, topgun2 said:

Aren't we all?😁

There just has to be somewhere else to buy that replacement part!  Many times the cost via the Oliver Service department isn't bad.

Bill

Does Oliver have a process for buying parts?

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Does Oliver have a process for buying parts?

Yep = 

Call Service or send them an email or open a Service ticket telling them what you need.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

6 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

I considered that, but then I could hear someone, rightfully so, say it would put too much stress on those Pex pipes.  If those leak, there's no stopping the leak without killing the water and pressure in the lines.  If the faucet likes as it has, it only leaks when using the outside shower.  Not a bad compromise.  

The part is actually suppose to arrive this afternoon, so I might be replacing it at the rally.   Something fun to to do.

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

I'm looking forward to replacing the outdoor shower, but it will have to wait until I get to the rally.  Part just arrived.

Q:  Can you make a deck chair from PEX piping, like all the things you can make with PVC?  LOL. Just kidding!

PXL_20240510_192746386.jpg

• Like 3

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 1:35 PM, Wayfinder said:

You could limit the hose length so it won't pull on the fitting when extended. Tying an overhand knot in it should work. Seriously though a rag tied so the hose couldn't fully extend or a bungee improvised to do the same might take some stress off the fitting so things don't get worse before you can get it repaired.

Edited by Corvus
clarification
  • Like 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 12:40 PM, Wayfinder said:

I'm looking forward to replacing the outdoor shower, but it will have to wait until I get to the rally.  Part just arrived.

Upon inspection, mine has a light surface crack just where yours is located. Surface only, no leaks, so hope it stays put. I did some work to keep the shower hose from getting caught on the PEX or elsewhere. With parts on hand, I wrapped automotive plastic loom over the PEX and a large section of foam under the plumbing. It it very difficult to get your arms back there to fix the wire ties.

I pulled it out and back in 5-6 times and got the full length out each time smoothly. Hoping I'm good now and the hose will not get caught anymore.

Chris, have you had time to get your new shower kit installed?

Outdoor Shower Plumbing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 1:35 AM, Ronbrink said:

That's exactly what came to my minds-eye.  I remember seeing one of these when I was very young.  Upside down it would work great as both a pull out limiter and a support for the plastic.  It's called a shoulder yoke.  For ease of install way back there, one could use some Gorilla Tape around the ends.

GJ

image.png.1839c308a816ef9c2d9c8b8c8ab797e8.png

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg